TSN: Wideman suspension reduced to 10 games by neutral arbitrator

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Just read the arbitrator's ruling as not surprising it is complete BS.

Yes, for you.

For me, it's the right decision. Wideman is not Mat Cooke. He was obviously hurt and didnt react the right way to the referee coming at him but he is still responsible for his action.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The NHL should pay wideman for those 9 games he missed. The Flames ownership shouldn't have to pay a guy that isn't even playing for them due to a legal process implemented by the NHL.

Aug 21, 2014
01-wideman.gif

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
My take on this whole affair:

Good on Wideman for losing less $ and I think the arbitrator took the right decision based on my limited knowledge of the rules.

But rule 40.2 seems dumb as hell. If Wideman's hit on the defenseless individual was intentional, shouldn't he, you know, be facing assault charges instead of receiving a slap on the wrist by the NHL? Should get 20 games suspension regardless of intent.

That's it, really. The nhl got burned by the fine line and vagueness of their own rule book. Deliberately applying force should be assumed dangerous on a hockey rink. They shouldn't have split those rules.

Starix

Jan 31, 2015
That's it, really. The nhl got burned by the fine line and vagueness of their own rule book. Deliberately applying force should be assumed dangerous on a hockey rink. They shouldn't have split those rules.

Really applying force should be deemed dangerous? Let's shutdown the NHL, it's too dangerous.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Awesome! Bettman acted in a bias dictatorship type fashion. If anyone ever had a concussion they would know that a simple thing like tying your laces could leave you completely dizzy and disoriented.

Atleast he deserved some benefit of the doubt and got none. Your guys win percentage with him out of the line-up suffered and likely ******** bettman cost you's a playoff spot.

Taking a early pick is a blessing in disguise for you i hope. Cheers I'm out just want to say i thought it was B.S.

Starix

Jan 31, 2015
Applying force to an official should be considered dangerous.

Refs wear pads too, if Wideman hit a player like that, probably not even a penalty, maybe a minor. Since it was a official, 10 games seems right by the rulebook.

The rulebook is written by lawyers for lawyers if was simple, black and white, they would out of jobs.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The NHL should pay wideman for those 9 games he missed. The Flames ownership shouldn't have to pay a guy that isn't even playing for them due to a legal process implemented by the NHL.

Likely the Flames will be fined $25-50k by the NHL for failure to follow the concussion protocol. Those fines usually aren't publicly announced though, so we may never hear about it.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Awesome! Bettman acted in a bias dictatorship type fashion. If anyone ever had a concussion they would know that a simple thing like tying your laces could leave you completely dizzy and disoriented.

Atleast he deserved some benefit of the doubt and got none. Your guys win percentage with him out of the line-up suffered and likely ******** bettman cost you's a playoff spot.

Taking a early pick is a blessing in disguise for you i hope. Cheers I'm out just want to say i thought it was B.S.

Lol no, that was Hiller's doing. Wideman (surprisngly to me, unsprisingly to many of his haters on this board (who are pretty justified a lot of the time, but w/e)) was pretty seamlessly replaced. I don't think his absence affected the Flames' chances at all.

Starix

Jan 31, 2015
Yeah this little sub-story is almost more interesting than the ruling itself. All depends on what the NHLPA plans to do it about it I guess.

I agree something seems odd about that, Bettman lying saying it was to a teammate, in a legal document. It will interesting to see where that goes.

Pekkas Purse

Feb 2, 2010
Wideman has done nothing this year other than discipline Kesler for the empty netter.

Does any of this matter. 10 or 20 he missed the trade deadline. The upside is JJ.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Lol no, that was Hiller's doing. Wideman (surprisngly to me, unsprisingly to many of his haters on this board (who are pretty justified a lot of the time, but w/e)) was pretty seamlessly replaced. I don't think his absence affected the Flames' chances at all.

I listened to some radio just the other day and they said the flames win % with wideman out effected you guys. Oh well maybe they wete mistaken. It shouldn't have been more than 10 games in the first place imo. Lol it was pretty funny to watch him going back all woozy and give him the shove. Just how much of his better judgement was working was questionable after getting hit pretty hard seconds previous.

The nhl overreacted and the media vultures thrived on it.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I think the arbitrator took the right decision based on my limited knowledge of the rules.
Thinking more about it, nvm about that.

Some of you are misunderstanding the concept of "innocent until proven guilty". Proof of guilt can have multiple forms; in this case, what we all saw on TV or the videos showing different angles of the act can certainly be considered proof of intent. Of course, whether what is believed to be evidence is actually such should be challenge-able.

If the situation is seen from these optics, the arbitrator is as moon would call it a "moron". Whether Wideman's guilty or not, having a clean resume doesn't refute the validity of the evidences. Anything else would suggest undisciplined people don't have a first infraction of rules.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Likely the Flames will be fined $25-50k by the NHL for failure to follow the concussion protocol. Those fines usually aren't publicly announced though, so we may never hear about it.

The concussion protocol is a great step in the right direction, but as is, it is a broken system. Needs to be fixed.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The concussion protocol is a great step in the right direction, but as is, it is a broken system. Needs to be fixed.

Probably two separate things:

Are the protocol processes themselves flawed?

Or are people failing to implement the protocol processes as designed? Or both.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Never thought it was intentional, I thought 10 games was fair from the get go. Glad they finally got this right. Wideman got suspended for being careless and made significant contact with an official. It's shame this took so long, though.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I can't wait to hear Burkie on this right now.

IMO the league not the Calgary Flames should be responsible for the salary for every game missed over the 10 game suspension. On top of that the league should pay Calgary for the replacement that was in the line-up after the 10 games for not having this issue looked after quicker.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I listened to some radio just the other day and they said the flames win % with wideman out effected you guys. Oh well maybe they wete mistaken. It shouldn't have been more than 10 games in the first place imo. Lol it was pretty funny to watch him going back all woozy and give him the shove. Just how much of his better judgement was working was questionable after getting hit pretty hard seconds previous.

The nhl overreacted and the media vultures thrived on it.

It wasn't Wideman being out. It was Ramo being hurt 2-3 games later that killed the Flames.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00