TSN: Wideman suspension reduced to 10 games by neutral arbitrator

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Trash from the NHL from the beginning. Bush league handling of the whole thing.

10 games was the right decision, no way you could conclusively say there was intent; especially with the concussion.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Trash from the NHL from the beginning. Bush league handling of the whole thing.

10 games was the right decision, no way you could conclusively say there was intent; especially with the concussion.

Then the text messages coming out when they had no bearing on it at all. NHL looks bad on this.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I'm hoping the decision includes a VERY public apology from the league. Just cause I want to see Gary say it.

Soooo now he's back in the line up? Kinda liked having Nak, Jurk and Wotherspoon playing.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I guess it helps the tank although were going to win enough to not get a good pick regardless.

I just don't get this system 19 games into a 20 games suspension it gets reduced to 10? Maybe the arbitrator should be the judge when you first appeal and not Bettman.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Then the text messages coming out when they had no bearing on it at all. NHL looks bad on this.

They've looked bad from the beginning, worse after that report from Bettman. Bizarre they subpoenaed his phone when there was no precedent to do so, and any relevance was cursory at best. It was a witch hunt from the beginning, glad the arbitrator saw that.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I just don't get this system 19 games into a 20 games suspension it gets reduced to 10? Maybe the arbitrator should be the judge when you first appeal and not Bettman.

The whole process is probably going to be looked at very closely for the next CBA... not that that helps Wideman now or our ability to have potentially traded him at the deadline

moon*

That's brutal from the arbitrator.

Makes no sense at all. What's the point in having an arbitrator if this is the crap they come up with?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You know, I'm just happy that Wideman gets half of that money back. Making a scapegoat of someone in the name of referee safety is all fun and games until you look at just how much you're costing that guy.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
You know, I'm just happy that Wideman gets half of that money back. Making a scapegoat of someone in the name of referee safety is all fun and games until you look at just how much you're costing that guy.

And the fact that I feel like the real story should have been the fact that both Wideman and the linesman were allowed to play with concussions. How is the nhl protecting its players and its officials when they let that happen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That's brutal from the arbitrator.

Makes no sense at all. What's the point in having an arbitrator if this is the crap they come up with?

This is exactly the point of the arbitrator. The only judge in the three hearings so far who is not under pressure to "protect the referees," but instead only has a prerogative to follow the rulebook. Lo and behold, when it comes down to just following the rules, the fact that there is no basis for calling this a deliberate act comes out.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Hilarious how everyone (here at least saw this coming.

Not that it means much. Wideman will get 10 games worth of back pay, the league will shrug their shoulders while the NHLPA will make a statement about speeding up the process in the next CBA negotiation.

But a super rusty Wideman at 20+ minutes a night plus vengeful refs should be good for the tank, I guess.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad