TSN: Wideman suspension reduced to 10 games by neutral arbitrator

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
There's also the matter of precedent. The next time the a player collides with a ref, they want to have as much precedent as possible to lynch that guy.

moon*

This is exactly the point of the arbitrator. The only judge in the three hearings so far who is not under pressure to "protect the referees," but instead only has a prerogative to follow the rulebook. Lo and behold, when it comes down to just following the rules, the fact that there is no basis for calling this a deliberate act comes out.

Where does the 10 games come from?

He deliberately hit a ref that's 20 games cut and dry from the rulebook.

He isn't following the rules by making up a random 10 game suspension from nothing.

moon*

He basically did 20 games. What's to appeal? The 280k? Seems like a waste of time

Appeal so that next time a guy hits a ref they can give him the proper punishment, appeal so the next time this moron of an arbitrator is potentially used they can show that he is an idiot.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary

He isn't following the rules by making up a random 10 game suspension from nothing.

False, the 20 games is an intent to injure, which the arbitrator deemed no evidence of.

Rule 40.3 states 10 games

moon*

False, the 20 games is an intent to injure, which the arbitrator deemed no evidence of.

Did he think that the lineman would be great getting shoved to the ice from behind?

Does he think the ice is made of pillows?

Again the arbitrator is an idiot who made he decision based on nothing.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

It comes from the fact that there isn't a way to tell if it's deliberate, as I've been telling you from the very beginning. The rulebook only covers deliberate acts. The attack on officials rule is split into three parts, each of which either specifically states or logically implies deliberate intent.

So if you can't show deliberate intent, you don't have a basis for suspending 20 games. If a deliberate attack is 20 games, it is logical that a non-deliberate attack, one that is careless as opposed to malicious, should be less than that.

The flaw in your logic comes from that statement that he deliberately hit a ref, and that's cut and dry. This ruling is logically equivalent (and I expect this to be backed up by the verbiage of the ruling when we get to hear it) to saying that it was not deliberate.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Did he think that the lineman would be great getting shoved to the ice from behind?

Does he think the ice is made of pillows?

Again the arbitrator is an idiot who made he decision based on nothing.

Why don't you read the decision from the arbitrator. It even brings up the rules involved. Instead your just spouting ********

moon*

Just read the arbitrator's ruling as not surprising it is complete BS.

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Basing a ruling on supportable facts, circumstances and history; while also being the first impartial decision maker not being leaned on by the ref's union or media - what a concept.

Still don't get those standing beside their crusifix calling for blood when they have been so clearly shot down as wrong.

Stupid and dangerous play with negligence resulting in injury, yes. Fire in his eyes with intent to wreck a ref, nope.

moon*

The only thing thats BS is the nonsense you are spouting.

It's interesting that you 'coincidentally' always take the contrarian point of view in every single thread..

I have been consistent in my view on the matter from the start so I am not taking any view just stating my opinion.

And go read the thread on the main board it is hardly a contrarian view.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I have been consistent in my view on the matter from the start so I am not taking any view just stating my opinion.

And go read the thread on the main board it is hardly a contrarian view.

No you haven't. Why is your assertion that the arbitrator is a 'moron' only being stated after the ruling?

Because he is not a 'moron'. Because you are sour grapes since as usual your opinion was completely incorrect and now you need to whine about it instead of using anything of substance to argue your opinion.

Regarding contrarian, I am talking in regards to this board.

(I should note I do not expect a reply to this post, as this is the point at which moon always stops replying, as is illustrated in countless other threads.)

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
No you haven't. Why is your assertion that the arbitrator is a 'moron' only being stated after the ruling?

Because he is not a 'moron'. Because you are sour grapes since as usual your opinion was completely incorrect and now you need to whine about it instead of using anything of substance to argue your opinion.

Regarding contrarian, I am talking in regards to this board.
Agree with you 100% II, I just shook my head when I saw his comments in the Gaudreau vs Nylander and Agostino threads.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Strongly disagree with the verdict. Wideman hit the ref from behind. He followed through with it. He played the rest of the game. When he got in hot water, he claimed he was concussed from the earlier hit.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
My take on this whole affair:

Good on Wideman for losing less $ and I think the arbitrator took the right decision based on my limited knowledge of the rules.

But rule 40.2 seems dumb as hell. If Wideman's hit on the defenseless individual was intentional, shouldn't he, you know, be facing assault charges instead of receiving a slap on the wrist by the NHL? Should get 20 games suspension regardless of intent.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
My take on this whole affair:

Good on Wideman for losing less $ and I think the arbitrator took the right decision based on my limited knowledge of the rules.

But rule 40.2 seems dumb as hell. If Wideman's hit on the defenseless individual was intentional, shouldn't he, you know, be facing assault charges instead of receiving a slap on the wrist by the NHL? Should get 20 games suspension regardless of intent.

I don't know about assault charges, but I'm sure the ref could successfully sue him.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't know about assault charges, but I'm sure the ref could successfully sue him.

At least in a courtroom the Judge would be assuming innocent until proven guilty, unlike Bettman. Those transcripts were frustrating to read, and I don't even really care if Wideman is playing for us or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad