Why isn't Nico Hischier being given any spotlight?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
but his expectations weren't high

without Hall he'd be a 50 pt player, max. hardly world-beating as a 1oa

Lol you just completely reinforced his point and discredited Hischier. Regardless of the height of his expectations, he's exceeded them. Instead of recognizing that- you create some hypothetical situation to discredit Nico. This is exactly what Devils fans are talking about.

Also, he's made Hall better. If he was playing as a 1C on any team- he is going to have top end talent surrounding him. He is supposed to make his wingers better and he's doing exactly that while producing and being an asset defensively. What more do you want from the youngest player in the league?

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Wow, this thread is a mess.

Why even bring it up? Nico doesn't care, Devils don't care, Swiss don't care that he gets no attention.
We like to be underrated and surprise people from time to time. It's perfectly fine how it is, why try to force some hype??

He's doing awesome so far and will be a superstar some day. But not because of hfboards.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
1. Because he's Swiss

2. Because he plays for New Jersey and not a larger market team

3. He's being outproduced by Barzal, Boeser, and Keller who are getting more attention. As well as Sergachev and McAvoy doing well on the back end. He's roughly even with DeBrincat who really isn't getting any fanfare either.

4. It was seen as a weaker draft at the top so expectations were lower.

No matter what happened with Matthews last year there would have been discussion about it, good or bad. Hischier was more or less expected to come in and put up 40-50 points, in a weaker market where he's playing a little above expectations, and not leading the rookie scoring race as a Swiss player, it's like, well ok Hischier is doing good, and then really that's all most people care to mention about him. Fair or not, it's how it is. I think if he were doing really bad or really good he'd get more attention, but given his situation just above expectations isn't really going to generate a lot of discussion

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
He is the least impressive first overall pick since Daigle maybe?

Have you ever heard of Nail Yakupov? Kid was an overhyped flash in the pan 1OA pick.

Hischier was supposed to be a 3C this season and played so well it allowed NJ to trade Henrique for a top 4 Dman the devils have been missing for years. Without delving into the stats, Hischier forced his way into the top 6 in under 30 games - in what way is that unimpressive?

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I think Barzal and Keller might be debatable, or at least in the same tier, I'd probably give Hischier the edge on position (center over winger in Keller's case) and age (2 years younger than Barzal). But, I wouldn't really fault anyone for picking any one of the 3.

Its probably gone in the purge towards the new site, but I bet there would be solid arguments for Myers over Tavares at the time (think they were 7 months apart). But, I get the point you are making.

If he gets to 60 points this year, he'll get his due. But, I see a lot of complaining about him not getting national Canadian coverage, they are going to cover the guys who either put up the best stats or play in Canada. I mean, Overdrive (my go to Toronto radio show) gave Hischier praise when he came to town, but they are going to be biased by the games they are asked to cover. I mean, why would the national Canadian media cover him like they did Matthews and Laine, it doesn't really make sense. I mean, you live in the market the Yankees play, any young exciting player for the Yankees will get crazy hype compared to the guy on the Royals due to fanbase size and how rabid it is. Plus, how many sites or news sources are really providing adequate national hockey coverage in the states.

The majority of us Devils fans are from America we don't watch the Canadian media. The closest most Devils fans get to dealing with Canadian media is possibly this site. NHL network is filmed in New Jersey and is littered with former Devils players who give the Devils their due in my opinion. I really couldn't careless what Canadian media says. I'm arguing how he's looked at by this site. When it comes to this site there's been a serious anti-Devils bias that I've witnessedfor over 16 years. I will say the foundation of that bias is being shaken to its core at this moment in time considering they have a young, talented, fast and exciting team, who's style of play goes against the grain of criticism this fanbase/organization has had to deal with for years.

So honestly I feel like your anazlying our beef when it comes to Hischier through the lens of a fan from a different country and media. Maybe Devils fans from Canada can understand what your getting at but honestly it means nothing to me as someone from New Jersey.

Look at the post by canchi saying Hischier is the worst first overall pick since Daigle. Or several other fans who are consistently making fools of themselves in this thread. The comments are mind boggling. People are acting like it's easy to put up a 60+ point pace as an 18 year old, while playing the best two way play from an 18 year old since Patrice Bergeron. Also anyone who says Bratt or Butcher have been more effective rookies are high off their ass and only looking at the game in a superficial way.

So like I already said, he's not the front runner for the Calder, but he's the rookie you wanna build around compared to the rest. He's younger than all of them, more well rounded, a center and is keeping pace offensively. I find that line of thought to be completely rational and true and am amazed at the resistance and the absolutely horrendous arguments against the theory he's the rookie your want more than the others for the future.

I'll leave it at that this conversation is becoming redundant.

Last edited:

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

So what your saying is he's defied expectations? Are you trying to make arguments for me? Also if you watched the games you would know it's Hischier setting up Hall. Hall put up 53 points last year, but now is on pace for 90. So are you gonna say Nico deserves no credit for that? Nico is having a 60 point year as an 18 year old and he's only gonna get better and easily has 75 to 80 point potential. I'd say as early as two season from now which are the seasons Boeser and Barzal are enjoying and they sure as shit don't have the two way game he has. Draft year +2.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
And I have an odd feeling you guys will be paying a 50-60 point player that has wicked intangibles close to the same thing. That is exactly my point I am making, the back checking intangible argument really works until the equals 10 million in salary.

Of course the obvious difference will be Toews got paid the 10 million a year after winning 3 cups. Hischer is going to get 10 million or more in 3 years and I would be willing to bet my house the Devils are not going to be cup champions by then.

I believe Hischers potential is alot like Toews. A 60 point range 2 way centre.

If Hischier gets paid $10m, it's because he would have become a major superstar by then. That kind of dough is not handed out for beautiful smiles.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Well, people repeatedly bringing up Matthews will invite the comparison and that discussion.

The answer is pretty simple, he plays for New Jersey, why is the Canadian media going to give him coverage? Especially when Boeser plays for the 3rd biggest market here and has better counting totals, which is what the national media tend to focus on. If he's playing for a Canadian team, they will talk about him that day on the local news, but they have little incentive to cover him on a frequent basis. They hardly talk about Barzal who is Canadian because he plays for a smaller market.

Finally, people don't view him as that tier of player until he proves it for a more extended period of time, as he didn't get the hype of those guys and the NHL community didn't believe he was at that level.

To be frank, you should be flattered that people bring up Nico's numbers in relation to Matthews rookie season. It's saying "look, Hischier has so far put up numbers like such an elite guy like Matthews". It's comparing Hischier's numbers to the BEST recent rookie player's numbers. Not saying Hischier = Matthews at all.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
So you’re telling me the Islanders are abig market and thats why Barzal is getting more hype than the top 5 picks this year combined? Or maybe Keller in that dynamite of a market that is Arizona.

There is no other reason than people are afraid to admit they were completely wrong about this year’s draft and 1st overall talent. People were claiming Hischier would be the next big bust - so now instead of giving him credit for a decent sample size they cry small sample size yet when its Barzal and Keller they are elite talents who are already playing well.

Ive always had the feeling that NJ is a team people love to crap on.

I saw last night Keller vs the Bruins and albeit it's only one game, if that's how he always plays, the kid has no clue how to be defensively responsible. Look at the Bruins first goal for example. While he was aimlessly wafting near his net, it would have sufficed for him to have his stick at ice level and the pass to Marchand would have never even gotten there. No surprise that he is already -19 (2nd worst in the entire league).
Offensively? Meh performance at best. But it's only one game again.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Except people hardly talk about Barzal, which I mentioned. Has Hischier led the rookie scoring race at any point recently? If you don't realize its simple counting stats which drive discussion, which it did for Keller when he was on a ppg pace, I don't know what to tell you.

Calm down with the victim complex.

By "stats", I assume that you mean points, regardless of P/60 and significance of PP points or any other factor. So purely total points?

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Yeah, Hall is passing the puck to himself, while wearing a #13 jersey and then pulling the #13 jersey off right before he scores and Nico benefits from that trick.

Seriously... If there is one Nico thing that is already 99% elite is his passing. If other players would capitalize on his feeds at a better clip (I remember him sending 4 different players on a clear breakaway in two games one after the other, for example. Only one goal scored there), he probably would be already leading the points race.
Same thing if they gave him first unit PP time: Nico has 4 PP points because he gets the crumbs with a much worse unit that gets much less time... All rookies at his points totals or ahead of him, have 8-11 PP points because they do get 1st unit PP time.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Same thing if they gave him first unit PP time: Nico has 4 PP points because he gets the crumbs with a much worse unit that gets much less time... All rookies at his points totals or ahead of him, have 8-11 PP points because they do get 1st unit PP time.

You know the answer: If he was any good, he would play on the 1st PP instead of Bratt. He only got 4 points because he hasn't earned more PP time. Blah blah blah... Everybody who's seem him play, and I mean WHOLE GAMES not highlights, and everybody who has seen his development from the first game to the last, simply has to be impressed or he simply has not clue what wins hockey games. Sure, other guys might be more flashy, but if you're talking whole package there are none at this age that would be comparable. And there are less than 10 players at this point in the NHL I would trade him for 1-for-1.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I gotta be honest, I didn't even know who he was or that he was the first pick in this years draft until the other night against CBJ.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I gotta be honest, I didn't even know who he was or that he was the first pick in this years draft until the other night against CBJ.
So you don't follow the league at all outside your team is what you're saying?

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Kids a beast. Considering his performance thus far and age, he is as impressive as Matthews was last year. He is not getting the same hype because he is from a smaller country and plays for a smaller, more humble market. There are also a lot of other impressive rookies this year, and I believe just more going on in the league in general. And of course as shown by this thread a lot of haters out there too.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Kids a beast. Considering his performance thus far and age, he is as impressive as Matthews was last year. He is not getting the same hype because he is from a smaller country and plays for a smaller, more humble market. There are also a lot of other impressive rookies this year, and I believe just more going on in the league in general. And of course as shown by this thread a lot of haters out there too.

It is a young man's, high speed league now, which is why younger guys do much better than in the past. When you have Willie Huber hanging on your back and Billy Smith shattering your ankles it is much harder to put in a rebound than today, where almost everything is disallowed. I personally like the new NHL way more, even though I have to say I miss some of the "old stuff" as well. There is just nothing like a bench clearing brawl once in a while ;) But generally, speed is the name of the game and you don't have to be 6.3 body builder to be successful.

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
As a Devils fan, I accept that we fly under the radar. Always have and always will. Doesn't bother me. We know what we have. A young exciting team who is further along in its rebuild than people realize. They're in 1st and battling for tops in the league when everyone predicted them to be battling for 31st and a lottery pick. Big reasons why are the play of their rookies. Led by an 18 year old Hischiers outstanding 2 way play.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Wow, this thread is a mess.

Why even bring it up? Nico doesn't care, Devils don't care, Swiss don't care that he gets no attention.
We like to be underrated and surprise people from time to time. It's perfectly fine how it is, why try to force some hype??

He's doing awesome so far and will be a superstar some day. But not because of hfboards.
Wait you mean a hockey discussion board has no barring on the reality of the NHL?

What a pointless thing to say. And there will be far more Hischier threads once more folks start noticing him - so get used to it.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He went first overall. I guess call me old school I expect more out of a supposed star.

Look Nolan, we get it. You were injured and didn't really get a chance to show your stuff last season. Then, you had offseason surgery and still aren't really healthy. Nonetheless, NJ made a stylistic choice and likely they would have picked Hischier anyway. Most NJ fans expect you to have an excellent career once you round into form. Dismissing Nico's game is petty and beneath you. It's a shame you felt the need to resort to name calling. We all expected better from you.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015

He also has no 4 goal game, or incredible highlights like Matthews had either. No top 10 plays for people to go WOW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad