Why isn't Nico Hischier being given any spotlight?

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Have you ever heard of Nail Yakupov? Kid was an overhyped flash in the pan 1OA pick.

Hischier was supposed to be a 3C this season and played so well it allowed NJ to trade Henrique for a top 4 Dman the devils have been missing for years. Without delving into the stats, Hischier forced his way into the top 6 in under 30 games - in what way is that unimpressive?

Yak had a 17 goal rookie season in 48 games including 11 goals in one month of play. His rookie season was more impressive than Nicos for sure.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yak had a 17 goal rookie season in 48 games including 11 goals in one month of play. His rookie season was more impressive than Nicos for sure.

what? lol Now I know you're just making things up

Nico has 20 points through 27 games played (0.74 PPG)
Yak had 31 points in his rookie year in 48 games (0.65 PPG)

what are you even talking about? Not to mention Nico plays center whereas Yak was a wing.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
what? lol Now I know you're just making things up

Nico has 20 points through 27 games played (0.74 PPG)
Yak had 31 points in his rookie year in 48 games (0.65 PPG)

what are you even talking about? Not to mention Nico plays center whereas Yak was a wing.

Haha oh so now the fact Nico plays centre is why he is more impressive hahahahahahahahhahaha

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
He also has no 4 goal game, or incredible highlights like Matthews had either. No top 10 plays for people to go WOW

A 4 goal game is an anomaly. It puts him in class with Jiri Dopita, Sam Gagner, Thomas Hertl, John Madden, Randy McKay. (No insult intended to Matthews or any of the listed players. Just saying scoring 4 goals in one game in and of itself doesn’t mean that much.) And Nico has put up plenty of highlight reel plays. You should seriously watch some of them.

I’m not saying Matthews wasn’t incredibly impressive, his rookie season and how he is playing now is amazing. But consider when Nico is an 18 year old rookie (nearly a year younger than Mathews when he was drafted) and is on pace for more points than Matthews while playing an great 2-way game facing top competition. Not saying Nico is more impressive but all things considered he is on par.

Name a less impressive first overall since Daigle then other than Hisher

Daigle actually has a better rookie season than many that came after him so I have no idea why you are using him as the benchmark.

Not sure you know what you are talking about there have been many less impressive 1sr overall rookie seasons, just a few of which have been listed. In fact, the only rookie 1st overalls since Daigle I recal being definitively more impressive than Nico are McDavid, Crosby and Ovechkin.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Not enough highlights! oh dear I can't breathe.

Bergeron Getzlaf Barkov all shit players now because they are less flashy than Marek Malik and Fabian Brunnstrom

Reactions: BruinLVGA

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Wait you mean a hockey discussion board has no barring on the reality of the NHL?

What a pointless thing to say. And there will be far more Hischier threads once more folks start noticing him - so get used to it.
he is saying you shouldnt care because it is just meaningless hype. i agree. I love hfboards for insightfull posts, but you aleays have to wade through a thousand homer posts in order to find them.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Should be fun to see if Hischier continues his great play against NJ's biggest competitors in the Metro right now. Last game he seemingly dominated play and possession

Reactions: HBK27

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
So what your saying is he's defied expectations? Are you trying to make arguments for me? Also if you watched the games you would know it's Hischier setting up Hall. Hall put up 53 points last year, but now is on pace for 90. So are you gonna say Nico deserves no credit for that? Nico is having a 60 point year as an 18 year old and he's only gonna get better and easily has 75 to 80 point potential. I'd say as early as two season from now which are the seasons Boeser and Barzal are enjoying and they sure as **** don't have the two way game he has. Draft year +2.
no, it's that it doesn't matter if he's defying the expectations set for him because they weren't high enough in the first place for this to be a big deal.

yea Hischier is not the reason Hall is on pace for 37 more points than last year. he was top 10 in scoring before on the black-hole Oilers, remember?

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
Lol you just completely reinforced his point and discredited Hischier. Regardless of the height of his expectations, he's exceeded them. Instead of recognizing that- you create some hypothetical situation to discredit Nico. This is exactly what Devils fans are talking about.

Also, he's made Hall better. If he was playing as a 1C on any team- he is going to have top end talent surrounding him. He is supposed to make his wingers better and he's doing exactly that while producing and being an asset defensively. What more do you want from the youngest player in the league?
his expectations weren't high, so exceeding them doesn't automatically make it a big deal. and 60 points as a 1oa while playing with a previous top 10 scorer who was on a 27th place team is hardly that impressive

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
his expectations weren't high, so exceeding them doesn't automatically make it a big deal. and 60 points as a 1oa while playing with a previous top 10 scorer who was on a 27th place team is hardly that impressive

Suite yourself...if Nico nets 60 points this year, continues to be the #1 center and play well defensively on a team that goes from dead last in the East to in/contending for the playoffs...all while being the youngest player in the league, I'd consider that pretty damn impressive.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017

None of that has to do with what I said. It's not his fault his expectations weren't high. And exceeding whatever expectations he has definitely deserves credit. It sure as hell doesn't deserve discredit.

And a previous top-10 scorer? Give me a break with that wording. Hall has been playing extremely well, don't get me wrong, but he finished once in top 10 scoring at position 6. He was 2 points away from being outside the top 10. Not exactly Stamkos or top 10 player. If anything that should credit Nico because, as I stated earlier, he is making him (and Bratt) better. Instead you choose to once again discredit Nico.

And that previous 27th place team is now first in the toughest division in hockey! I have no idea how you do not give the 1c on that team any credit. Instead you use the previous years team which he had nothing to do with to discredit him.

What a mess.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Suite yourself...if Nico nets 60 points this year, continues to be the #1 center and play well defensively on a team that goes from dead last in the East to in/contending for the playoffs...all while being the youngest player in the league, I'd consider that pretty damn impressive.
Devils contending? I think not. Season is longer than 30 games...

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Wait you mean a hockey discussion board has no barring on the reality of the NHL?

What a pointless thing to say. And there will be far more Hischier threads once more folks start noticing him - so get used to it.

I don't complain about Hischier threads discussing his game.
But I'm against making threads to complain how no one talks about him... causing ignorant posts, followed by overstated comparisons and 3 sites later it's a huge Matthews-Yakupov-Daigle mess.

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
None of that has to do with what I said. It's not his fault his expectations weren't high. And exceeding whatever expectations he has definitely deserves credit. It sure as hell doesn't deserve discredit.

And a previous top-10 scorer? Give me a break with that wording. Hall has been playing extremely well, don't get me wrong, but he finished once in top 10 scoring at position 6. He was 2 points away from being outside the top 10. Not exactly Stamkos or top 10 player. If anything that should credit Nico because, as I stated earlier, he is making him (and Bratt) better. Instead you choose to once again discredit Nico.

And that previous 27th place team is now first in the toughest division in hockey! I have no idea how you do not give the 1c on that team any credit. Instead you use the previous years team which he had nothing to do with to discredit him.

What a mess.
he's a 1oA who is projected to hit 60 points while playing with someone projected to hit 90.

is he a great player? absolutely. is his level deserving of the attention most 1OA's get? no.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
he's a 1oA who is projected to hit 60 points while playing with someone projected to hit 90.

is he a great player? absolutely. is his level deserving of the attention most 1OA's get? no.

That player is projected to hit 90 because he is playing with a center that makes him better. You can either choose to credit him for that or discredit him, you choose the latter. You have not mentioned he is also the youngest player in the league. Which is also impressive. He is definitely deserving of the attention most 1oa's get.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
It seems people on here would be more impressed if the Devils were dead last, Nico was a -15, played no defense and scored at a PPG pace with 10 goals.

edit: oh and a few WOW plays. of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oneiro

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille