Why isn't Nico Hischier being given any spotlight?

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
I will just continually post this until people see it:

This comparison is still kinda silly. You're comparing a 1/3 season from Hischier to full seasons from everyone else (well, 48 games from Yakupov). The sample differences make comparison impossible (and your own post shows how big a jump there was in the small sample between just game 15 and now). I don't know what you expect the informed takeaway to be other than "Hischier is a fantastic young player having a fantastic rookie season, somewhere in the range of other fantastic rookies." Because obviously the immediate conclusion isn't "ZOMG Hischier's better than McDavid."

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
That was @ the 15 games mark. Someone posted earlier in the thread an updated one (= @ the 27 games mark) and now Hischier is at 2.73.

Haha even better. That's such an impressive stat it's mind boggling. Does it mean he's better than those other players obviously not. However, considering how there seems to be a desire to not give Nico credit where credit is due, among certain posters, it gives me hope this shuts up some of the ignorant comments being thrown around like mad. You add in the fact that his two way game is superior to every single one of those first overall picks and it just proves how great this kid really is.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This comparison is still kinda silly. You're comparing a 1/3 season from Hischier to full seasons from everyone else (well, 48 games from Yakupov). The sample differences make comparison impossible (and your own post shows how big a jump there was in the small sample between just game 15 and now). I don't know what you expect the informed takeaway to be other than "Hischier is a fantastic young player having a fantastic rookie season, somewhere in the range of other fantastic rookies." Because obviously the immediate conclusion isn't "ZOMG Hischier's better than McDavid."

No one claimed hes better than McDavid in this thread. However, there are people claiming hes "not that special" and while comparing 1/3 of a season to a full one isnt the BEST metric, I would agree, it at least shows you (so far) that he is pretty darn "Special"

Of course, things may change going forward. But you have to think that Hischier will IMPROVE as the season goes along, no?

Reactions: Blender

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

It's not silly at all. Is it definitive? Of course not, but when people are gonna going around saying he's not as effective as other rookies who are 2 and 3 years older than him, Keller being the only exception and he's still a year older. I consider it also to be another great argument against the rubbish comments that he one the worst overall picks in years. Which is hilarious considering he been just as good as them offensively and easily the best two way player to step in the league as an 18 year old in 15 years since Bergeron came along. He plays the game like a ten year vet and he will win a selke or two. Kid has intangibles that cannot be taught. Plus his weaknesses which are his shot and lack of strength are two things that can be improved and they will.

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
It's also important that when Matthews was a rookie last year, he was 19 and had a year of pro experience playing in the Swiss League. Nico is the youngest player in the NHL and jumped here straight from Halifax.

Might I add, that Halifax season was also the one & only season on small ice. Matthews - and all other 1st overall picks of late - are products of small ice. Nico had/has to adapt to that too. :)

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
It's not silly one bit. The thread is titled "Why isn't Nico Hischier being given any spotlight?". That's directly related to how he is doing now.
And showing that up to now he has a better p/60 than all those guys is perfectly relevant to the question posed in the thread's title. Is it not?

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Haha even better. That's such an impressive stat it's mind boggling. Does it mean he's better than those other players obviously not. However, considering how there seems to be a desire to not give Nico credit where credit is due, among certain posters, it gives me hope this shuts up some of the ignorant comments being thrown around like mad. You add in the fact that his two way game is superior to every single one of those first overall picks and it just proves how great this kid really is.

Couldn't agree more with ya. :)

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
It is true. The islanders have an all world player in Tavares they want to resign. They want to make some noise in the playoffs, they actually most likely NEED to make some noise or Tavares is bye bye. Enter Barzal, he the main anchor point the team is going to use to try and keep Tavares. Barzal knows this therefore every night he is putting the hopes and dreams of an entire fanbase on his back.

Now let's look at the Devils: zero expectations coming into season other than don't finish dead last.

Edit: I am not even sure about that, I think the Devils as an organization would have been ok with dead last, then you get A good chance to redeem this years terrible whiff at 1st overall
Tell me: do you talk the same way you type? As in do you talk before you think about how stupid what you’re about to say might be? Because I have to tell you, I’m not getting the vibe that you’re someone who does a lot of thinking before doing...well, anything?

I could totally be off base though basing this on your clearly, underdeveloped eye for hockey.

Reactions: ThePrideofStockholm

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I think the Devils as an organization would have been ok with dead last, then you get A good chance to redeem this years terrible whiff at 1st overall

This is asinine. Hischier is not only excellent, but has proven himself in the NHL already. We wouldn’t trade him for Dahlin if the Oilers or whatever team wins 1OA next year makes that offer.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

That's EXACTLY the takeaway you're supposed to takeaway from that chart. Nobody is claiming he is/will be better than McDavid - just pointing out that he's having a good rookie season thus far that isn't getting talked about despite being on par with past rookie seasons that got a lot more attention.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
o

Wow I really hope this is sarcasm, if not you should be embarrassed. No one cares about New Jersey? Well who the hell cares about Ontario. No one cares about the leafs outside of Ontario. No cares about the NHL outside the hockey bubble. We follow a niche sport so your elevated view of the leafs as a whole shows how little perspective you have and how you live in a bubble. You and I know you have never been to New Jersey. For your sake I hope you're a kid, cause if your an adult you should be even more embarrassed. Absolutely rediculous.

Also, no one said Hischier is already Datsyuk. There're comparing his style of play. His two way game, his ability to strip people of the puck and his shiftyness. He might not have the dangles that Pavel had, but he's the youngest player in the league who is on pace for over 60 points. Datsyuk wasn't even a full time NHL player until he was 23. As a Devils fan we've seen so many great two way hockey players and I'll speak for the majority of Devils fans when I say, we've never seen a forward so well rounded at such a young age. It's extremely impressive he battles just as hard in the defensive zone as he does in the offensive zone. He could easily be as good as Bergeron or Toews, but what will separate him is his superior skill and hockey sense compared to those two.

Hischier is the real deal and what's funny is he has just as many points through twenty seven games as Auston Matthews did his rookie year. Hischier may never be an elite goal scorer, but he can still be a 25 - 30 goal and 50 - 60 assist guy year in and year out. He's already on pace for 46 assists as the youngest player in the entire NHL. The things he lacks like his shot and strength can always be improved. So stop bad mouthing a great hockey player who will only get better you look so petty and you show your lack of knowledge on the subject.

This doesn't even get into your incredibly ignorant and pathetic comments on the on the state of New Jersey as a whole. You actually sound bitter cause the Devils future is as bright as your precious Leafs. We have the much more superior goalies, starting and back up. We also have a wider variety of very young talent even if the Leafs have the superior younger talent however it's more condensed. Matthews and Reilly are the two best at forward and defense but Nico and Butcher are not far behind. The Devils have larger amount of great hockey players under 22 already in the league.

We also have the better good young players entering their prime, who most are signed for two years or more and under the age of thirty; Hall, Johansson, Palmieri, Vatanen, Severson, Moore and Noesen, Gibbons and Coleman compared to Hyman, Brown, Gardener, JVR, Kadri, Martin and Zaitsev.

Devils have a younger group of veterans and a much younger team as whole. Only 5 non goalies being over the age of 30 with two of them in Lovejoy and Stafford not being on the team past this season.

We're also have as good of a prospect pool if not better and you don't have a prospect as good as McCleod. We're most definitely set up better cap space wise going forward. Why do I bring up all these subjects compareing the Devils to the Leafs? It's because you Leafs fans go around trying to bring down the players and organizations of other teams so you can feel better about what you have. You even resorted to bad mouthing the entire state of New Jersey which you know nothing about. An element of your fanbase is so pathetic it's lauagblw . Its posters like you who give your entire fanbase, who have many great posters a bad wrap.

The future of the east is the Leafs, Devils, Blue Jackets and Islanders in my opinion and I hope this year we play you guys in the playoffs. You have good team and will for a long time but stop disrespecting players, organizations and entire states/provinces. Grow up and maybe you Leafs fans will start getting respect around here. Boy.
Imagine writing an essay about something that has nothing to do at all with the thread because you’re so angry at someone on an internet message board. Yikes. :laugh:

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Imagine writing an essay about something that has nothing to do at all with the thread because you’re so angry at someone on an internet message board. Yikes. :laugh:
Imagine being so proud of yourself for thinking you upset someone on an internet message board. Yikes, real sad thing to get excited about.

Especially when you put so much effort into it.

"Guys, guys, listen, now I know this is going to upset TML fans because it is so blunt and borderline edgy. But it is the truth so, really, nobody should get upset. TML have been with out a cup for longer than presumably most people on this board have even been alive. I know, I know, I'm going to get hate for it, but it's the truth, so no one should be mad, just thought I would throw it out there to further this discussion."

Incoming "LULZ! Mad bro?!"

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I mentioned this like 200 posts ago, but I'm glad someone else brought this up.

Barzal has Taveres going against top competition whereas Nico is consistently going up against the best night in and night out AND producing as the youngest player in the league, which is nothing short of impressive.

Maybe at first, but NHL coaches have figured out both lines are deadly and need to defensively prepare for both of them. It's like saying Malkin is overrated because Crosby gets the "top competition" and Malkin's left to dangle around the 3rd pairing pylons of the league.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
No one is upset, you're just wrong. People type out long responses to your long post so other people don't buy into what you're selling.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
No one is upset, you're just wrong. People type out long responses to your long post so other people don't buy into what you're selling.

No, no, people are very upset, so upset they can't even stay on topic....

(Just let him think it, maybe he will stop.)

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Regardless of what anyone says, I'm actually glad he doesn't get the attention of other 1OAs, it's easier when he has a couple games with no points. His playmaking and defense is amazing, Devils fans know that what they are watching is something special. Let him fly under the radar, it's better this way.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
@CanCHI is just mad because the Hawks are paying Toews 9 million a year to back check, so he's trying to discredit any defensive abilities Nico has.

And I have an odd feeling you guys will be paying a 50-60 point player that has wicked intangibles close to the same thing. That is exactly my point I am making, the back checking intangible argument really works until the equals 10 million in salary.

Of course the obvious difference will be Toews got paid the 10 million a year after winning 3 cups. Hischer is going to get 10 million or more in 3 years and I would be willing to bet my house the Devils are not going to be cup champions by then.

I believe Hischers potential is alot like Toews. A 60 point range 2 way centre.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
He's on pace for 6o plus points as the youngest player in the league. You also don't realize that his two way game is just outstanding, possibly the best two way game as an 18 year old since Bergeron. Plus he as has more skill and hockey sense than Bergeron ever had. He's already a first line center on a first place team playing in what's most likely the best division in hockey. He's also not just a passenger he driving the play along with Hall, while also missing Palmieri our first line right winger. Also anyone who thinks Bratt is better is high off their ass, even if he's a elite young player in his own right. Same goes for Butcher. Nico has tangibles that cannot be teacher.

He was a very impressive prospect as well. It was his first year in North America and the Halifax coaches consistently said he wa farther along and more well rounded than Mackinnon, Drouin and Meier. That Halifax team was supposed to be terrible last year and not make the playoffs. His points per game were as good if not better than those three until he injured his wrist the last 6 weeks of the season.

The scouts got one thing right the 2017 draft was and is subpar as a whole. However they made one glaring mistake and that was underestimating Nico Hischier. The fact Nolan Patrick was even in the same tier as Nico during draft time is gonna be looked baxk upon in a humorous way.

Once again I will say as a Hawks fan who talked about intangibles for 5 years. IT DOESN'T HOLD WEIGHT, THIS HAS BEEN DETERMINED

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
P/60 for the most recent 1oa picks in their rookie season:

1. McDavid - 2.69
2. HISCHIER - 2.29
3. Kane - 2.26
4. Yakupov- 2.14
5. Matthews - 2.12
6. Mackinnon - 2.07
7. RNH- 1.95
8. Hall - 1.51
9. Tavares - 1.32

Uh oh couple pages back he was #1. Might want to be careful about updating this one constantly if he goes on a cold streak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->