Why Don't Leaf Fans view the Leafs as a Contender?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You need to be better than the Leafs are defensively, to win a cup.

People look at Pittsburgh last season, and pretend like it's the norm. It isn't. Pittsburgh's no defense was the anomaly, backed by outrageously good goaltending.
Ok, what about Pittsburgh this year? Even in 2016 as well with a healthy Letang.
Leafs have a better GA than the Pens this year. Leafs have the 4th best GA in the Eastern conference.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What's funny is Tampa and Boston were both technically non playoff teams last year. Extenuating circumstances for the Lightning, but Boston has been trash for years. And now they're getting a finishing piece in Nash...

Yeah, the Leafs are a contender...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
All I hear is "Tampa is better then us"

Well so what?

What if Philly or Jersey luck out a victory over Tampa in the 1st round? Rarely (if ever?) do the top seeds meet in the finals.

And as for this sudden paralyzing fear of Boston, I dont get it. We're 3-1 vs them this year, and currently have more points then them. Where is this idea coming from that they are so far and above us as to be unbeatable?

We can beat anyone in this league on a per game basis. The next step is series victories. And we dont know how we fair until we actually go toe to toe with them. Giving up because you stat watch and see morning highlights before you've even played these other teams is silly.

We also went undefeated against Boston last year and only lost that one bad game against them when they were on their hot streak - one they've come off from since they've lost multiple times to Buffalo.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You need to be better than the Leafs are defensively, to win a cup.

People look at Pittsburgh last season, and pretend like it's the norm. It isn't. Pittsburgh's no defense was the anomaly, backed by outrageously good goaltending.

You don't think we have good goaltending?

Leafs are 2nd in the NHL for goals against over the last month.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
A month ago, before thye switched up their style, I would have said no way they're a contender.

They've won me over. They can contend

#FearthePolak

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
A month ago, before thye switched up their style, I would have said no way they're a contender.

They've won me over. They can contend

#FearthePolak

Ya me too. A month ago I might have said we're a contender depending on how one defines the term but I also would have said that we still have a ways to go before we're at the level of the top contenders. From where I sit, that gap has been shrinking with almost every game we play and as of today, that gap is so small that it's almost non-existent. The addition of Dermott and putting Marner on Kadri's line have made such a huge difference that it's like a new team. And that's why I think it's not just a hot streak - we can point to reasons for the change.

The number/frequency and types of chances they give up concern me

We're not perfect, no argument there. But then again, neither is any other team. I think some people are definitely too cocky and we could easily lose in the 1st round, yes I said easily. But then again, I see no reason we can't also win the cup this year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’ll never blame a Leafs fan for being cynical - especially after the last decade, but the tangible evidence suggests this current Leafs team is beyond good.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Ok, what about Pittsburgh this year? Even in 2016 as well with a healthy Letang.
Leafs have a better GA than the Pens this year. Leafs have the 4th best GA in the Eastern conference.
its because of andy that we are 4th in the eastern conference in GA, definitely not the defense. our defense allows the 4th most shots in the league, then pens allow the 8th fewest

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
What's funny is Tampa and Boston were both technically non playoff teams last year. Extenuating circumstances for the Lightning, but Boston has been trash for years. And now they're getting a finishing piece in Nash...

Yeah, the Leafs are a contender...
by this logic the leafs were non playoff team last season. also last season doesn't matter and bruins haven't been trash for years, thats the leafs who have been trash for your information, and they're getting an upgrade on spooner in nash.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
by this logic the leafs were non playoff team last season. also last season doesn't matter and bruins haven't been trash for years, thats the leafs who have been trash for your information, and they're getting an upgrade on spooner in nash.
I'd say our pieces were set to grow a hell of a lot more than the B's considering the age of our cores.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Hfboards is basically always wrong about the Leafs.

So the fact that most here don't think we're a contender actually makes me more confident.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Nash has 1 whole point more than Spooner this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad