Why Don't Leaf Fans view the Leafs as a Contender?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I read so much on here, "This Is Not Our Year" (We are on pace for the franchise's best season ever BTW).
And I am quite shocked, even today reading the Leafs should not be giving up picks in moves, they should be selling the UFAs for picks instead and keep rebuilding and forget about this year.
I don't get it. We are absolutely a contender. Who can match our speed and depth? And Freddy has been a top goalie this year.
Can someone explain why the Bruins can be viewed as a cup favourite and the Leafs are not?

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Been saying it since the beginning we're the best team in the East and by a good margin
Tampa Bay is overrated but probably the 2nd best team in the East
Pittsburgh and Boston don't scare me one bit

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Been saying it since the beginning we're the best team in the East and by a good margin
Tampa Bay is overrated but probably the 2nd best team in the East
Pittsburgh and Boston don't scare me one bit
Yup.
Teams are going to have so much issues in the playoffs with our speed and 4 lines.
Boston is slow and has 1 line accounting for 40% of their goals. And the Bruins are now 4-4 in their last 8. They peaked too early it seems.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I read so much on here, "This Is Not Our Year" (We are on pace for the franchise's best season ever BTW).
And I am quite shocked, even today reading the Leafs should not be giving up picks in moves, they should be selling the UFAs for picks instead and keep rebuilding and forget about this year.
I don't get it. We are absolutely a contender. Who can match our speed and depth? And Freddy has been a top goalie this year.
Can someone explain why the Bruins can be viewed as a cup favourite and the Leafs are not?

Part of the reason is that we are relying on sophmores as our key players while Boston has some seasoned vets that are part of the core that have won it all before.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Part of the reason is that we are relying on sophmores as our key players while Boston has some seasoned vets that are part of the core that have won it all before.
That's fine but Boston has their own concerns which the Leafs do not.(Peaking way too early, now struggling, 1 line scoring too much. Not enough depth, slow, horrific schedule the last month of the season...)

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Yup.
Teams are going to have so much issues in the playoffs with our speed and 4 lines.
Boston is slow and has 1 line accounting for 40% of their goals. And the Bruins are now 4-4 in their last 8. They peaked too early it seems.

Same with Tampa. They peaked way too early
Our speed and skill is going to wear teams down especially those with an older core

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
because of their bad defense. me because of their bad defense and the fact that they are the worst of boston/tampa/toronto and they'd have to face one of them in the 1st round

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Leafs haven't won a playoff series since 2004.... Thats 5 playoff wins in 14 years... 2 playoff wins last season to 16 this season... if they win a few series this season i will be a believer next year.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Why Don't Leaf Fans view the Leafs as a Contender?
Philadelphia won the Superbowl because their backup QB out played the best QB of all time, when Foles looked simply awful in his two regular season starts.

Foles had no business beating Brady none whatsoever, yet it happened.

For some Leafs fans, denial is a way of life!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
because of their bad defense. me because of their bad defense and the fact that they are the worst of boston/tampa/toronto and they'd have to face one of them in the 1st round
You really think they are worse than Boston? Why? They have beaten Boston 13 of the last 15 games.
Don't look now Boston is struggling and are a 1 line team. There is actually a bigger difference between Boston/Toronto in talent upfront than there is in D.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We're still a fairly young team. To go with that, we obviously haven't had the recent playoff experience some teams have had (though the Bruins and Lightning have had recent misses). What we've done - and what we figure to do - over the past two (almost) full regular seasons is very good, in my view. We took the President's Trophy winners to six games as a wildcard last playoffs. Want to see what we're capable of this time around against opponent TBD.

Depends on what one puts stock into as well. We won the season series vs Boston, does that matter and how much? If we finish ahead of them in the standings or vice versa, does that matter? Does one matter more than the other in the event we finish behind Boston?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Pittsburgh > Boston ≥ Tampa > Toronto

Pittsburgh has the most depth of any team. Experienced and has the best player in the world.

Boston has the best top line in the NHL and the other three lines are fast and can grind. Playing Boston at home will be beyond a nightmare

Tampa is fast, skilled and have Hedman (at least)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You really think they are worse than Boston? Why? They have beaten Boston 13 of the last 15 games.
Don't look now Boston is struggling and are a 1 line team.
i think we're a little worse than boston. its because we give up a lot of shots and are often hemmed in our own zone for long periods of time. also, we're 9 and 6 in the last 15 games against the bruins. we've won 13 of our last 15 games overall. hughson said it implying that, but thats not the case. finally, boston isn't a 1 line team. they're deep. they have an excellent 1st line and have great depth. they're also not really struggling. they're 4-4 in their last 8 which isn't bad or good

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
we're 9 and 6 in the last 15 games against the bruins. we've won 13 of our last 15 games overall. hughson said it implying that, but thats not the case
How are we 9 and 6 when they've beaten us once in the past 2 years? Your numbers are off.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Once the front office makes the moves (think they may just have)
That they are ready to go for it,I'm sure we will jump on board.:thumbu:

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
i think we're a little worse than boston. its because we give up a lot of shots and are often hemmed in our own zone for long periods of time. also, we're 9 and 6 in the last 15 games against the bruins. we've won 13 of our last 15 games overall. hughson said it implying that, but thats not the case. finally, boston isn't a 1 line team. they're deep. they have an excellent 1st line and have great depth.
Your numbers are a little off.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Tampa and Pittsburgh definitely have an edge on us, but we're capable of beating them. No other teams in the East really scare me.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
How are we 9 and 6 when they've beaten us once in the past 2 years? Your numbers are off.
my numbers are not off, you're not understanding what i wrote. we are 7-1 in the last 2 years against the bruins. prior to that we went 2-5 in the last 7 meetings with them. we only play them 4 times a season so you can't expect us to be 13-2 against them in our last 15.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
All I hear is "Tampa is better then us"

Well so what?

What if Philly or Jersey luck out a victory over Tampa in the 1st round? Rarely (if ever?) do the top seeds meet in the finals.

And as for this sudden paralyzing fear of Boston, I dont get it. We're 3-1 vs them this year, and currently have more points then them. Where is this idea coming from that they are so far and above us as to be unbeatable?

We can beat anyone in this league on a per game basis. The next step is series victories. And we dont know how we fair until we actually go toe to toe with them. Giving up because you stat watch and see morning highlights before you've even played these other teams is silly.

Last edited:

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Philadelphia won the Superbowl because their backup QB out played the best QB of all time, when Foles looked simply awful in his two regular season starts.

Foles had no business beating Brady none whatsoever, yet it happened.

For some Leafs fans, denial is a way of life!

I forgot football is 1V1. Not like Brady had one of the best Superbowl showings of all time or anything.... This is a terrible comparison and you should feel bad about it.

As for the OP Leafs are contenders but that doesn't = selling the farm for a slight sugar high this season like some fans here are begging for.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
my numbers are not off, you're not understanding what i wrote. we are 7-1 in the last 2 years against the bruins. prior to that we went 2-5 in the last 7 meetings with them. we only play them 4 times a season so you can't expect us to be 13-2 against them in our last 15.

Lordy, do you not see a drastic change in our roster prior to last season? Do I need t explain to you the differences?

Reactions: my name is Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad