Why can't NHL give Jets their history back?

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Except Hawerchuk never played for Arizona, thankfully.

Like I said the NHL obviously agrees with you, but the NHL is also a dying animal both in Canada and elsewhere so I really don't care what they say/do. They lost me as a fan decades ago with their stupidity.

He never played in Arizona, but he played for the Arizona franchise

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
sometimes i think about these things and the image a comic book nerd waving his finger in the air yelling "that's not canon" pops into my head

ultimately, i don't have a horse in this race other than (as i think we all do) respect the right of fanbases to remember whomever they want however they want.

Reactions: Killion

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Ultimately, there are going to be some nice narratives you have to give up no matter which way you put your foot down.
If the Jets vanished off the face of the earth in 1996 only to reappear in 2011, then we don't get to say Shane Doan played his whole career for one team (or Sakic, for that matter). If the Jets packed up all their memories and brought them down south, then you get absurdities like Hawerchuk's jersey in the rafters.
The only way to reconcile that is to put the pedantry aside, and if clarity requires it, adopt some specificity in your language ("played in Winnipeg" vs. "played for Winnipeg" and so on).

Reactions: mrhockey193195

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Speaking for Minnesota … I was very happy to see that the Dallas Stars franchise choose to honor franchise history by putting up Masterton's and Goldsworthy's banner numbers in their building. And, I also love to see it when the Wild often welcome the old North Stars alum with events and autograph signings in their building. The franchise history is , as it should be, officially recognized in Dallas, but the all memories stay in Minnesota. I guess in Minnesota we have our cake and we can eat it too.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
No. He actually did play for the Arizona franchise.
Who did he play for then before Buffalo?
The Winnipeg Jets

Speaking for Minnesota … I was very happy to see that the Dallas Stars franchise choose to honor franchise history by putting up Masterton's and Goldsworthy's banner numbers in their building. And, I also love to see it when the Wild often welcome the old North Stars alum with events and autograph signings in their building. The franchise history is , as it should be, officially recognized in Dallas, but the all memories stay in Minnesota. I guess in Minnesota we have our cake and we can eat it too.

I prefer the route the Hurricanes took when the Whalers relocated. IE not pretending fans have any connections with Whalers greats (other then Francis who signed with the team after his pens tenure).

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
The Winnipeg Jets

I prefer the route the Hurricanes took when the Whalers relocated. IE not pretending fans have any connections with Whalers greats (other then Francis who signed with the team after his pens tenure).

That's the Coyotes franchise

Isn't it polite to acknowledge your franchises best players nomatter what city that team currently resides in?

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Isn't it polite to acknowledge your franchises best players nomatter what city that team currently resides in?

No. It's silly but I guess the coyotes need every gimmick available for their franchise to pull more then 5000 people to games.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Except Hawerchuk never played for Arizona, thankfully.

Like I said the NHL obviously agrees with you, but the NHL is also a dying animal both in Canada and elsewhere so I really don't care what they say/do. They lost me as a fan decades ago with their stupidity.
Their balance sheet says otherwise but ok. Its clearly all about you.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Keep telling yourself that.

And he is right to do so because, like it or not, that is a fact.

Let's revisit history for a minute. Imagine that after relocation, the old Jets franchise kept his name and became the Arizona Jets. Fast forward to 2011 when the exact same Thrashers team is moved to Winnipeg, calling themselves the Falcons because the Jets moniker isn't available. Would Sportsnet show that infographic of Hawerchuk, Steen and MacLean among the Falcons leading scorers? No because there would be no connections whatsoever between the old Jets and the new Falcons. And that's exactly how it is except that they were able to recycled an old name people could relate to.

Now you can Hawerchuk the greatest player in Winnipeg's history whenever you want, but the fact is that he's still the greatest player of the Coyotes franchise.

Reactions: Tarantula

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i feel like if you move the team and keep part of the name/logo, such as calgary remaining the flames, dallas being the stars, or hell i'll even give you the avalanche keeping the cold theme and turning les nordiques into the avalanche, then that's a grey area.

but if you completely change the colors, the logo, the name, and everything else that belonged to the old team (looking at you, jets 2.0, hurricanes, coyotes, and devils) then i think it's fair game for the new fanbase and the old players to ask, what are we even doing here?

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I am sorry, I didnt realize you single handedly own Leafs and Habs. And you out of your goodness if your heart, donate your money to these dead franchises. Silly me.

I don't own the Habs and Leafs. Not sure where you got that from.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Greatest yet he never played any games for them?

The Coyotes were founded on December 27, 1971, as the Winnipeg Jets of the World Hockey Association (WHA). (Wikipedia)

So yeah... he technically did. He never played in Phoenix/Glendale but he played for the franchise. I don't get what is so hard to grasp.
Catilyn Jenner still owns her olympic gold despite having a different name.

Don't tell Reonick that, his head might explode.

Roenick's head doesn't need this much to explode.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
The Coyotes were founded on December 27, 1971, as the Winnipeg Jets of the World Hockey Association (WHA). (Wikipedia)

So yeah... he technically did. He never played in Phoenix/Glendale but he played for the franchise. I don't get what is so hard to grasp.

i think everybody grasps what you're saying. there are just differing opinions on whether one should see things that way, or a different way.

but i assure you, every single person here grasps it.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Exactly, the only reason the Coyotes choose to 'honour' Hawerchuk is because they're a mickey mouse franchise and need gimmicks to pull more then 5000 people.

I'm kind of indifferent to wards the Coyotes. I don't think they have any place in Arizona anymore and it is silly how long this charade has been going on. Still I feel as though honoring the contributions of not just a good, but great former player, Hall of Famer, is not a gimmick. I mean his name is everywhere in their record and stat book. They should be proud and acknowledge that this guy was a member of their franchise

And the current Jets who moved from Atlanta can also honor Hawerchuk for his time in that city and what he accomplished.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Exactly, the only reason the Coyotes choose to 'honour' Hawerchuk is because they're a mickey mouse franchise and need gimmicks to pull more then 5000 people.

I agree that it looks kind of strange. But in the end he's honoured by the franchise he played with, not by the fans in Arizona. It still makes more sense to me than having Selanne and Wheeler in the same leaderboard.

There's no perfect solution but it's probably the more logical.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Actually I have no idea what they did and how it differs from Arizona. But Carolina never stopped acknowledging that they are a relocated franchise. They too have issues with consistent, reliable fan support.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad