Why can't NHL give Jets their history back?

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Exactly, the only reason the Coyotes choose to 'honour' Hawerchuk is because they're a mickey mouse franchise and need gimmicks to pull more then 5000 people.

I think the Coyotes have been in Arizona long enough that they have no need to "honor" players that played in Winnipeg. They have been there since 1996-97 which is now a longer period of time than the Jets 1.0 were in the NHL. It would be safe to assume that most Coyotes fans in Arizona could care less about what transpired with the team before it arrived there as is the case of most fans of sports teams that arrive by relocation.

I think a lot of people don't understand that once a team leaves a market, the players that played there (and did not follow the team upon relocation) will not have an affinity with the franchise afterwards. It's the fans that they have an affinity with not the franchise. Hawerchuk never played in Arizona, therefore, he would have no true feelings about being in the Coyotes Ring of Honour. He went to Arizona for the ceremony simply because he is a gentleman but his heart wasn't in it. That's not a knock against Arizona but simply the truth. It meant so much more to him when TNSE raised a banner in BellMTS Place with his name and number in recognition for his years with the Winnipeg Jets. He is emotionally connected to Winnipeg and its fans because this was home to him while he plied his trade with the Jets. He is also now involved with the Winnipeg Jets alumni.

The great Baltimore Colts quarterback Johnny Unitas refused to be involved with any attempts by the franchise to raise a banner for him when the team relocated to Indianapolis. He was emphatic in his refusal by stating that he played for the fans of Baltimore not Indianapolis. It may be different for players that move with a franchise upon relocation but for those who didn't it makes more sense to do what Unitas did. As such, the names of Hull and Hawerchuk should have been left behind in Winnipeg where they played for the fans.

:jets

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Here's why.

You don't get to claim that 2011-12 is your inaugural season and your inaugural game, then go back after the fact and claim a bunch more history. Can't have it both ways.

If I had my way, the second these patches were released then everything the Thrashers did would have remained behind.

19663.jpg
False.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
here's a wacky idea—if the coyotes can acquire the LTIR contracts of pronger, datsyuk, and hossa, all of whom will never ever play for them, then why can't they repatriate the old winnipeg jets history to the new winnipeg jets and absorb the orphaned atlanta thrashers history?

1. shane doan, 1,466 games, phx/az, 1996-2017, 955 pts
2. ilya kovalchuk, 594 games, atl, 2001-2010, 615 pts
3. slava kozlov, 537 games, atl, 2002-2010, 416 pts
4. jeremy roenick, 454 games, phx, 1996-2002, 2006-2007, 379 pts
5. radim vrbata, 509 games, phx/az, 2007-2008, 2009-2014, 2016-2017, 343 pts
6. keith tkachuk, 332 games, phx, 1996-2001, 334 pts
7. martin hanzal, 608 games, phx/az, 2007-2017, 313 pts
8. keith yandle, 558 games, phx/az, 2006-2015, 311 pts
9. teppo numminen, 551 games, phx, 1996-2003, 269 pts
10. ladislav nagy, 321 games, phx, 2000-2007, 249 pts

at least that way hossa will be legit—

RkPlayerPTSTmFromToGP
11.Marian Hossa248ATL20052008222
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Maybe they should have just moved Coyotes to Winnipeg and Thrashers to Arizona in 2011.

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
Let’s face it, The NHL tried to bury the 4 Refugee Teams from the WHA right from the beginning, When a expansion team comes in now they get Top Pick in Draft, as the Winnipeg Jets GM said “WE WERE RAPED” lol and it was true, the other existing NHL teams could raid the WHA teams roster’s while the Jets,Oilers, Nordiques, Whalers could only protect 2 skaters and a goalie, AND THEY PICKED LAST IN THE DRAFT. Can you imagine if the wha teams could protect who they had when they were in WHA and had TOP PICKS? The NHL/Bettman probably would hate it IF the Jets made it to the FINALS!!! The NHL will always try and screw the refugee WHA teams for as long as they are in the league. Even GRETZKY got Screwed by NOT getting the CALDER TROPHY because the NHL said the wha was a PRO LEAGUE, Funny because they always put the WHA down and will NOT include their Pro stats. I’m glad the oilers shoved it in the NHL’s face with 5 Cups in 7 Years. I’m also happy that the JETS got their team back, Hopefully the NORDIQUES can get a team, even IF it means that FLORIDA, COLUMBUS, PHOENIX etc end up Moving so they get a team!!! Bottom line NHL hates the Jets...

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Nobody in Winnipeg cares about Thrashers history, and compares the current team to the original Jets. If Wheeler ever breaks Kovalchuk point totals, not many would care. However, if a Jets player were able to surpass the 929 points Hawerchuk put up, it would be celebrated.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Let’s face it, The NHL tried to bury the 4 Refugee Teams from the WHA right from the beginning, When a expansion team comes in now they get Top Pick in Draft, as the Winnipeg Jets GM said “WE WERE RAPED” lol and it was true, the other existing NHL teams could raid the WHA teams roster’s while the Jets,Oilers, Nordiques, Whalers could only protect 2 skaters and a goalie, AND THEY PICKED LAST IN THE DRAFT. Can you imagine if the wha teams could protect who they had when they were in WHA and had TOP PICKS? The NHL/Bettman probably would hate it IF the Jets made it to the FINALS!!! The NHL will always try and screw the refugee WHA teams for as long as they are in the league. Even GRETZKY got Screwed by NOT getting the CALDER TROPHY because the NHL said the wha was a PRO LEAGUE, Funny because they always put the WHA down and will NOT include their Pro stats. I’m glad the oilers shoved it in the NHL’s face with 5 Cups in 7 Years. I’m also happy that the JETS got their team back, Hopefully the NORDIQUES can get a team, even IF it means that FLORIDA, COLUMBUS, PHOENIX etc end up Moving so they get a team!!! Bottom line NHL hates the Jets...

"Hate" rather a strong word Vanzig & not one I'd ascribe to Bettman, Jacobs et al in considering what went down, the whys' & wherefores. The people, ownership & Lawyers etc involved in both Winnipeg & Atlanta at that time. They really didnt have anywhere else to go, TNSE who had been negotiating & were twice "that close" to acquiring the Coyotes, Champagne on Ice, Media On-Call, sent secretly middle of the night to Georgia type dealeo to begin negotiations with ASG once the NHL realized they'd been boxed in & out of Atlanta legally & technically, ASG demanding the League cover their losses if they wished to keep that franchise in place. Set-up.

TNSE had agreed, budgeted $170M to buy the Coyotes from the NHL & were not going to pay a nickle more however in negotiations with ASG that group, aware of it demanded the entire amount.... Bettman then demanding TNSE cough up even more in Relocation Fee's.... David Thompson going Ballistic on him.... Bettman (as many others have experienced in dealing with David in the past) realizing this was not some stooge with more money than sense & who he couldnt be extorting. That with no other options he was caught between a rock and a hard place, that the NHL needed Thompsons $170M & Winnipeg a lot more than he & they did. Remember too, according to Bettman, Daly, Jacobs & others... "Winnipegs' arena is too small, market size, Canadian dollar etc a real concern". Absolute nonsense as were the reasons behind the rejections of Hamilton & Quebec City.

So I dont think "hate" but I do believe a certain air of arrogance and superiority as perhaps best illustrated by the extremely short sighted and pretensious Jeremy Jacobs, Chairman of the BOG's & the Leagues most influential figure when at the first Board of Governors Meeting with Winnipeg in attendance..... over some issue that escapes me with Winnipegs's representatives questioning the decision or process were told by Jacobs that essentially as the New Kids on the Block they were to sit there quietly & keep it zipped.... that basically their opinions didnt matter. Shut the eff up. Thats where the problem is, Jacobs. The guy really behind all the Lockouts, idiotic, Moronic policies & culture that pervades the entire business model along with the Leagues General Council, Law Firm that also works with the NBA & NFL. Meanwhile, Arizona is still 10yrs After a Total **** Show, League still owns that club despite the Dummy Corporation, False Flag Operations & Communications.

So I would say probably there are those who "resent" Winnipeg amongst the BOG's. Reminder of their failures. Thompson & his Executives cant be bullied, cowed. Not sycophants. Not Yes Men. That bothers, upsets their Feudalistic Society, culture.

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
"Hate" rather a strong word Vanzig & not one I'd ascribe to Bettman, Jacobs et al in considering what went down, the whys' & wherefores. The people, ownership & Lawyers etc involved in both Winnipeg & Atlanta at that time. They really didnt have anywhere else to go, TNSE who had been negotiating & were twice "that close" to acquiring the Coyotes, Champagne on Ice, Media On-Call, sent secretly middle of the night to Georgia type dealeo to begin negotiations with ASG once the NHL realized they'd been boxed in & out of Atlanta legally & technically, ASG demanding the League cover their losses if they wished to keep that franchise in place. Set-up.

TNSE had agreed, budgeted $170M to buy the Coyotes from the NHL & were not going to pay a nickle more however in negotiations with ASG that group, aware of it demanded the entire amount.... Bettman then demanding TNSE cough up even more in Relocation Fee's.... David Thompson going Ballistic on him.... Bettman (as many others have experienced in dealing with David in the past) realizing this was not some stooge with more money than sense & who he couldnt be extorting. That with no other options he was caught between a rock and a hard place, that the NHL needed Thompsons $170M & Winnipeg a lot more than he & they did. Remember too, according to Bettman, Daly, Jacobs & others... "Winnipegs' arena is too small, market size, Canadian dollar etc a real concern". Absolute nonsense as were the reasons behind the rejections of Hamilton & Quebec City.

So I dont think "hate" but I do believe a certain air of arrogance and superiority as perhaps best illustrated by the extremely short sighted and pretensious Jeremy Jacobs, Chairman of the BOG's & the Leagues most influential figure when at the first Board of Governors Meeting with Winnipeg in attendance..... over some issue that escapes me with Winnipegs's representatives questioning the decision or process were told by Jacobs that essentially as the New Kids on the Block they were to sit there quietly & keep it zipped.... that basically their opinions didnt matter. Shut the eff up. Thats where the problem is, Jacobs. The guy really behind all the Lockouts, idiotic, Moronic policies & culture that pervades the entire business model along with the Leagues General Council, Law Firm that also works with the NBA & NFL. Meanwhile, Arizona is still 10yrs After a Total **** Show, League still owns that club despite the Dummy Corporation, False Flag Operations & Communications.

So I would say probably there are those who "resent" Winnipeg amongst the BOG's. Reminder of their failures. Thompson & his Executives cant be bullied, cowed. Not sycophants. Not Yes Men. That bothers, upsets their Feudalistic Society, culture.

Ok maybe you are right, hate is going too far, the WHA refugee teams/Jets were treated unfairly from the start so I was a little off my rocker when I posted that,lol.
I wish Atlanta could have kept a team in the NHL though!!

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad