Why can't NHL give Jets their history back?

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I just wish the Jets would go back to the Winter Classic uniforms (retro WHA ones) for good. Actually, I would prefer the 80's Hawerchuk uniforms the most - they were gorgeous.

I agree with you about the retro WHA uniforms but I never did like the 80's version as they were just a copycat of those used by the Rangers in the 70's.

WaltT.jpg

000105489%20Rod%20Gilbert%2076-77.jpg

:jets

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I agree with you about the retro WHA uniforms but I never did like the 80's version as they were just a copycat of those used by the Rangers in the 70's.

WaltT.jpg

000105489%20Rod%20Gilbert%2076-77.jpg

Ha, yes there were. I always loved those Rangers uniforms as well. Beautiful layout and the Shield is phenomenal.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I believe another poster on another forum gives credit to John Ferguson who it seems was behind the NYR switching and then bringing the colour scheme to The Peg upon his arrival and the NYR switching back after JF left the Apple.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
^^^Maybe you're thinking of this post (see below).
canadian-ice-hockey-player-phil-esposito-and-his-coach-john-ferguson-picture-id75462952

1976 - New York Rangers GM John Ferguson along with Phil Esposito introduces a new uniform for the team. Ferguson would be fired by the Rangers on June 2, 1978 and replaced by Fred Shero. The Ferguson style uniforms would last be used in the 1978 pre-season. Shero would bring back the traditional Rangers uniforms for the start of the 1978-79 season. John Ferguson would soon become GM of the Winnipeg Jets when he was hired on November 22, 1978 during the last season of the WHA.

Unfortunately for Jets fans, Ferguson would change the Jets uniforms upon entry into the NHL to that same design that he brought to New York a few years earlier. Winnipeg would be stuck with those uniforms until 1990 when they changed to a new look. The picture below of Bobby Hull with Ulf Nilsson and Anders Hedberg was from 1978 when the Jets played 2 exhibition games against the Rangers at the Winnipeg Arena. It was following the pre-season that the Rangers would discard those uniforms.

1375195239.jpg

Reactions: Tarantula

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Because it was completely stupid for the NFL to pretend that the Browns didn't move to Baltimore.

Why didn't the Baltimore Ravens "reclaim" the Baltimore Colts history after moving there from Cleveland? Does it matter if the relocated team name is the same? Should the Ottawa Senators be able to reclaim the "history" of the previous version that left Ottawa many decades beforehand for St Louis?

It's Franchise history.

Because that deal were set in place by the Cleveland Browns move and has since been incorporated by different leagues. Twins have this deal in place with the state of Minnesota for example. If they move the teams history stays. The earthquakes just returned to the MLS. This is also in place if Quebec gets Nordiques back. If Seattle gets a new team they will share their history with Oklahoma Thunder. And we oblviously have the whole Charlotte to New Orleans deal in the NBA.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
When the Browns moved to Baltimore the NFL immediately proclaimed that CLeveland would get another team in the next couple of years and said that they would retain the history of the franchise. Effie he officially moved the team. The Ravens were seen as an expansion franchise from the first snap.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
At the time the Seattle Supersonics were stolen and dropped in Oklahoma, I wanted the history of the Sonics to stay with the team in Seattle. I still want this today.

Every single time I see ESPN tweet some nonsense like "Russell Westbrook is the first OKC player since Gary Payton to do so-and-so", I let them hear it. Gary Payton never played for your dumbass team, and I hope that Seattle gets an expansion team and wins a title before you ever do.

Rant over.
I was kind of sad to see the NBA lose it's comical tradition of vestigial team names.

In any other league I'm ok with a city getting to keep its old logo and I would have preferred the Houston Texans were the Oilers.

Reactions: Doctor No

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Three separate versions of the Montreal Alouettes (CFL) exist and they all share the same history.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Like some other posters I wish the Jets would bring back their vintage logos. I detest the new cheap-looking one with the plane and the maple leaf.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I was kind of sad to see the NBA lose it's comical tradition of vestigial team names.

In any other league I'm ok with a city getting to keep its old logo and I would have preferred the Houston Texans were the Oilers.

Totally agree with you. I'm guessing the name Houston Texans has some historical meaning to residents of Texas that others may be unaware of but to an outsider it seems to lack creativity. It would seem to be akin to a team being named the Los Angeles Californians or the Miami Floridians.

images

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
How come Jets 2.0 are allowed to use its name? Did Coyotes sell it to Jets with NHL approval?

pretty sure one of the conditions of teams moving is they have to hand over IP rights to the old logos and team names to the league.

The league owned the name. When TNSE bought the Thrashers, Gary Bettman stated the name was available if they wanted to use it. Once the name was chosen, they also acquired the rights to the old Jets logo as well.

Reactions: Jablkon

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
so i was watching the sportsnet broadcast tonight and blake wheeler scored his 500th point as a jet. (doesn’t count the 17 points he scored as a thrasher.)

up comes this infographic showing hawerchuk, steen, and paul maclean’s winnipeg stats, with wheeler #4 on the list.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I detest the new cheap-looking one with the plane and the maple leaf.

It's super generic. What does planes and leaves have to with Winnipeg in the first place? Give me some history on that one, thanks.

so i was watching the sportsnet broadcast tonight and blake wheeler scored his 500th point as a jet. (doesn’t count the 17 points he scored as a thrasher.)

up comes this infographic showing hawerchuk, steen, and paul maclean’s winnipeg stats, with wheeler #4 on the list.

Atlanta Flames/Calgary Flames/Winnipeg Jets/Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets are all the same team to me. :thumbu:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It's super generic. What does planes and leaves have to with Winnipeg in the first place? Give me some history on that one, thanks.

Atlanta Flames/Calgary Flames/Winnipeg Jets/Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets are all the same team to me. :thumbu:

Winnipeg (Manitoba in general) has a long & distinguished history through the Canadian Military, RCAF etc. Main hub & training center for pilots during WW1 & WW2... to present day. Billy Bishop Flight School & so on. Home to the Canadian wing of Norad etc etc etc..... The "Leaf" a nod to Country, military (air) insignia.

Afraid I'm not one who subscribes to sports franchise histories being "exportable" ehhedler. The Atlanta Flames, Jets 01, Oakland/California Seals, Kansas City Scouts & so on & so forth while legally did become the Calgary Flames, Coyotes, Barons (North Stars & Stars), the Scouts the Rockies & Devils those records & memories live on in the hearts & minds of the citizenry, the fans & players, Coaches & Officials etc. Intangible. No one cared about the Diques history in Denver nor what the Nordiques did and why should or would they? Try as they might, Leagues have it wrong.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Winnipeg (Manitoba in general) has a long & distinguished history through the Canadian Military, RCAF etc. Main hub & training center for pilots during WW1 & WW2... to present day. Billy Bishop Flight School & so on. Home to the Canadian wing of Norad etc etc etc..... The "Leaf" a nod to Country, military (air) insignia.

Afraid I'm not one who subscribes to sports franchise histories being "exportable" ehhedler. The Atlanta Flames, Jets 01, Oakland/California Seals, Kansas City Scouts & so on & so forth while legally did become the Calgary Flames, Coyotes, Barons (North Stars & Stars), the Scouts the Rockies & Devils those records & memories live on in the hearts & minds of the citizenry, the fans & players, Coaches & Officials etc. Intangible. No one cared about the Diques history in Denver nor what the Nordiques did and why should or would they? Try as they might, Leagues have it wrong.

Ah yep, that's right! I've done some stuff on the era myself, and a lot of WWI characters shows up there in the Peg as military/plane figures. One of them Konnie Johannesson, of course, the aviator and Olympic gold medalist from the 1920 Antwerp games.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
It's fine celebrating the previous franchise that was in Winnipeg. That said this version is clearly a different franchise. Sure the NHL could make some official transfer as a gesture to the fans but it doesn't change reality. It's a different franchise.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and brought the defensive ethic that would win them the Super Bowl as the Ravens. The new expansion franchise in Cleveland adopted the old Browns name and continued somewhat the bluecollar hard working defensive ethic.

But they didn't inherit the stats of another franchise.

Nor did the Ottawa Senators of today compare themselves to the franchise.of the same name that was an NHL dynasty.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I prefer the 80's uniforms the most followed by the 90's redesign which actually wasn't bad at all as far as poor 90's trends in the nhl went.

Don't watch hockey anymore so I don't care what the jets wear. That being said concerning modern Jets uniforms,I've seen worse uniforms but they aren't great.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
It's fine celebrating the previous franchise that was in Winnipeg. That said this version is clearly a different franchise. Sure the NHL could make some official transfer as a gesture to the fans but it doesn't change reality. It's a different franchise.

Seeing Hawerchuks Jersey in Arizona hanging in the rafters is extremely cheesy and pointless. Ditto for all the other retired numbers of players who never played in that city.

People can say whatever they want, obviously the NHL agrees with you.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Seeing Hawerchuks Jersey in Arizona hanging in the rafters is extremely cheesy and pointless. Ditto for all the other retired numbers of players who never played in that city.

People can say whatever they want, obviously the NHL agrees with you.

But he played for that franchise and contributed immensely. That franchise should honor him. As should the current Winnipeg team since that was the city. When teams move around history gets complicated. The Coyotes are the old Jets. The franchise may have moved but you can't just deny and erase the past or assign your past to somebody else.

The Baltimore Ravens are a relocated franchise. The Browns are an expansion team with no stats pre 1999 as far as I'm concerned. Don't care what the NFL says

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
For those who pay attention to NFL and or NBA, you know they were in similar situation where cities that lost a team got one back, Cleveland and Charlotte. Granted via expansion, rather than relocation. They both were given back their history from teams that resulted from relocation (Ravens and Pelicans, respectively).

Now why can't NHL do that? They clearly view this Jets as continuation of Thrashers. Is there a legal reason? I can't imagine that being the case.

It isn't like Atlanta Thrashers had much history to keep.
There is Jets history and there is franchise history.

In this case, they are not the same.

Who holds the record for most goals as a rookie and what team did he play for?

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
But he played for that franchise and contributed immensely. That franchise should honor him. As should the current Winnipeg team since that was the city. When teams move around history gets complicated. The Coyotes are the old Jets. The franchise may have moved but you can't just deny and erase the past or assign your past to somebody else.

The Baltimore Ravens are a relocated franchise. The Browns are an expansion team with no stats pre 1999 as far as I'm concerned. Don't care what the NFL says

Except Hawerchuk never played for Arizona, thankfully.

Like I said the NHL obviously agrees with you, but the NHL is also a dying animal both in Canada and elsewhere so I really don't care what they say/do. They lost me as a fan decades ago with their stupidity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad