Who wins the first game of the regular season: Leafs or Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Erm. The Jets getting mocked for significantly improving their goalkeeping? One of the two (or three if you count in the freak injury spree) things that kept them from competing at 16-17. Amazed. Mason doesn't have to be an elite goalkeeper to be a major asset for a team that already is one of the best what comes to goal scoring. Helle/Hutch were the black hole tandem last season and now with that combo broken I don't see why they wouldn't be competing. Anderson may be slightly better than Mason and Leafs certainly have the better staff, but that's where it ends.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Laine had what 5 goals against the Leafs last year? Where the Jets got 3 out of 4 points in games played head to head. Anything can happen in 1 game. But this would seem to a good start to if one is looking for an edge in predictions.

Uh, the leafs also got 3 out of 4 points against them lol.

Both games went to OT...

Leafs also outshot them 77 to 54 in the two games combined and held the jets to only 20 shots in the last game they played, this largely due to the leafs having a better overall attack than the jets down the line up, if that carries over I expect the leafs to have the majority of the scoring chances

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Both games went to OT...

Leafs also outshot them 77 to 54 in the two games combined and held the jets to only 20 shots in the last game they played, this largely due to the leafs having a better overall attack than the jets down the line up, if that carries over I expect the leafs to have the majority of the scoring chances

Clearly the head to head results show the superiority of the Jets goaltending.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016

Both games went to OT...

Lol TWS swings hard and misses hard as usual :laugh:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Just for fun...

article_725ad248-612e-4901-b907-99305349fedf.png

View attachment 96673

Sorry, is this chart suggesting Bernier and Reimer are better than Rinne and Bob?

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Erm. The Jets getting mocked for significantly improving their goalkeeping? One of the two (or three if you count in the freak injury spree) things that kept them from competing at 16-17. Amazed. Mason doesn't have to be an elite goalkeeper to be a major asset for a team that already is one of the best what comes to goal scoring. Helle/Hutch were the black hole tandem last season and now with that combo broken I don't see why they wouldn't be competing. Anderson may be slightly better than Mason and Leafs certainly have the better staff, but that's where it ends.

They are not being mocked, they are being challenged for acting like they have above average goaltending.

If the Leafs go from deploying Luke Schenn as their #1 D to Zaitsev, they've massively improved their defense. However, that still doesn't mean it's good compared to the teams in the NHL attempting to win a cup.

Jets went from AHL level goaltending to below average NHL goaltending. That's all that is being pointed out.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
They are not being mocked, they are being challenged for acting like they have above average goaltending.

If the Leafs go from deploying Luke Schenn as their #1 D to Zaitsev, they've massively improved their defense. However, that still doesn't mean it's good compared to the teams in the NHL attempting to win a cup.

Jets went from AHL level goaltending to below average NHL goaltending. That's all that is being pointed out.

As somw pointed out average goaltending would be a huge upgrade and with the rest of the team that might just be enough to win 5-10 more games sneak into playpffs...atleast get them to ot more

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Both games went to OT...

You left out Laine had 5 goals in those 2 games. As this is also part of the poll question. Also to add to the Jets 3 out of 4 possible points last year, they are 10-2-3 vs the Leafs since they returned to Winnipeg.

Hard to argue those Facts :laugh:

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

As somw pointed out average goaltending would be a huge upgrade and with the rest of the team that might just be enough to win 5-10 more games sneak into playpffs...atleast get them to ot more

I agree with you there. The question is going to be if the defense stays healthy, but IMO that Jets roster is capable of making the playoffs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
When the Jets fail to make the playoffs yet again I wonder what the excuse will be this year?

The start of the last few seasons have all started the same, constant chest pumping about how good the team is, only to be met with yet another playoff miss. I remember quite a number of folks in the Matthews vs Laine threads complaining that Matthews got an unfair advantage because he played on a better team.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
You left out Laine had 5 goals in those 2 games. As this is also part of the poll question. Also to add to the Jets 3 out of 4 possible points last year, they are 10-2-3 vs the Leafs since they returned to Winnipeg.

I think we can agree both teams, and at the very least the Leaf team, has no ties to that record, as the entire roster has basically been changed. Since the change last year, the record was a split.

Secondly, this is like saying Matthews will score 4 goals in his first game because he did it last year. IIRC, one of those games was during the shaky part of the year for the team after the all star break where they couldn't get a save or defend worth ****. They were in a slump when he lit up Andersen.

I will not be surprised to see Laine score a goal or even have a multi point game. However, your reasoning is spotty at best given the above.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
When the Jets fail to make the playoffs yet again I wonder what the excuse will be this year?

The start of the last few seasons have all started the same, constant chest pumping about how good the team is, only to be met with yet another playoff miss. I remember quite a number of folks in the Matthews vs Laine threads complaining that Matthews got an unfair advantage because he played on a better team.

Leafs make the playoffs by 1 point despite being the healthiest team in the league in the easiest division and their fans act like they're contenders :popcorn:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I will not be surprised to see Laine score a goal or even have a multi point game. However, your reasoning is spotty at best given the above.

I don't believe there is anything spotty about factually pointing out Laine scored 5 goals against the Leafs last season. Including a memorable hattrick. The 3rd goal being the winner in OT where Matthews missed his chance. Here is a reminder. As for pointing out the history of head to head matches since the Jets have been back in the NHL. This is what we are discussing. Head to head.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't believe there is anything spotty about factually pointing out Laine scored 5 goals against the Leafs last season. Including a memorable hattrick. The 3rd goal being the winner in OT where Matthews missed his chance. Here is a reminder. As for pointing out the history of head to head matches since the Jets have been back in the NHL. This is what we are discussing. Head to head.

If only sample size means anything.....

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If only sample size means anything.....

That word again. Sample size. Yes, it is only 2 games. But that is what he have to go by with a 18 year player right? Sure it would be nice to have a 10 year sample of games where we could rehash this then. But there would be no discussion here in between. All we know today, is Laine in his 2 games head to head he owned the Leafs. I don't know how can anyone argue this. His 5 goals are the main reason why the Jets have 3 out of 4 points against he Leafs last season.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Please explain how the jets 1-0-1 record is better than the leafs identical record

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
I don't believe there is anything spotty about factually pointing out Matthews scored 4 goals in the opening game last season. Including a goal of the year finalist when he outplayed the entire Sens squad on the second goal. The 4th goal being the one that cemented his performance as the greatest rookie debut in league history. Here is a reminder:

Last edited:

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg

I legit thought Laine was going to get a second OT hat trick winner when Matthews took that tripping penalty seconds before the third was about to end. That would have been so cruel.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Please explain how the jets 1-0-1 record is better than the leafs identical record

Well the Jets historical record against past Leafs teams is a sign of how good their franchise is versus the Leafs overall, right? Unfortunately the Jets historical record against the league includes 0 Cups and 0 playoff wins in the past 17 years of this Thrashers/Jets iteration. So they beat previous Leafs teams while also being the least successful team in the league by far in the past ~2 decades :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I legit thought Laine was going to get a second OT hat trick winner when Matthews took that tripping penalty seconds before the third was about to end. That would have been so cruel.
I don't know if it is playing against Matthews or just coincidence. But Laine just seems to raise his game against the Leafs. He could have had 2 hattricks head to head. He absolutely to this point has owned the Leafs thus far. Not only scoring 5 in 2 games. But in dramatic fashion also. On a sequence where Matthews missed his chance, but where Laine finished his to cap off a memorable game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad