Who wins the first game of the regular season: Leafs or Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well the Jets historical record against past Leafs teams is a sign of how good their franchise is versus the Leafs overall, right? Unfortunately the Jets historical record against the league includes 0 Cups and 0 playoff wins in the past 17 years of this Thrashers/Jets iteration. So they beat previous Leafs teams while also being the least successful team in the league by far in the past ~2 decades :laugh:

Well I guess that makes sense. The previous iterations of Winnipeg and Toronto may have been completely different players, but the respective team crests will override the brains of the modern players and force the Leafs to be worse because of history. Big "W" for logic!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't know if it is playing against Matthews or just coincidence. But Laine just seems to raise his game against the Leafs. He could have had 2 hattricks head to head. He absolutely to this point has owned the Leafs thus far. Not only scoring 5 in 2 games. But in dramatic fashion also. On a sequence where Matthews missed his chance, but where Laine finished his to cap off a memorable game.

5 points is absolutely owning the Leafs, but no mention of Matthews having 4 points against Winnipeg? Is 1 point in 2 games really the difference between being invisible and absolute ownage?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Feel bad for the Jets having to play their most important game of the year on opening night.
I predict Jets win 4-3.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
5 points is absolutely owning the Leafs, but no mention of Matthews having 4 points against Winnipeg? Is 1 point in 2 games really the difference between being invisible and absolute ownage?

Obviously goals are more important...except when it comes to 40 goals vs 36 goals or 40 goals vs 24 goals.

That's when goals are less important while playmaking and assists become more important. Its kind of hard to follow the flip flopping but I think I've discerned a pattern over time.

Well I guess that makes sense. The previous iterations of Winnipeg and Toronto may have been completely different players, but the respective team crests will override the brains of the modern players and force the Leafs to be worse because of history. Big "W" for logic!

Right. Which is why these same people believe the Jets will continue to never win in the playoffs and be the least successful franchise in the league. Because that's what their historical record indicates, right? Huge "W" for logic and consistency today!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That word again. Sample size. Yes, it is only 2 games. But that is what he have to go by with a 18 year player right? Sure it would be nice to have a 10 year sample of games where we could rehash this then. But there would be no discussion here in between. All we know today, is Laine in his 2 games head to head he owned the Leafs. I don't know how can anyone argue this. His 5 goals are the main reason why the Jets have 3 out of 4 points against he Leafs last season.

2 games, spread out apart by weeks is absolutely meaningless if trying to draw any inference from. Absolutely meaningless.

Matthews is 2ppg against the Jets. Looks like he does just fine too.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
2 games, spread out apart by weeks is absolutely meaningless if trying to draw any inference from. Absolutely meaningless.

Matthews is 2ppg against the Jets. Looks like he does just fine too.

If it is so meaningless, why are you bothering to reply in a thread that is focusing on 1 game the first of the year for both teams, and head to head as the OP asks?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Based on my thorough analysis on last year

Matthews 4 goals
Laine hattrick
Winnipeg wins in OT 5-4

Deja vu

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
It will be hard to top their Stanley Cup win from last year's game against Toronto.

Laine fans practically threw a parade after that first game then told Leafs fans to calm down when Matthews spanked Laine in Calder voting :laugh:

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Laine fans practically threw a parade after that first game then told Leafs fans to calm down when Matthews spanked Laine in Calder voting :laugh:
Some celebrated Laine's hat trick but it wasn't until I read the Leafs board on the game until I knew how much the game meant for you.

This is just icing on the cake.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
That was very much justified considering how much childlish crap you and others were giving on Laine for not lighting it up in the preseseason or when he didn't match Matthews 4 goals opening night.

It was just a glorious payback in its on way. After that night, some mouths were surely shut about how Laine should play in the AHL, ring any bells? ;)

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Some celebrated Laine's hat trick but it wasn't until I read the Leafs board on the game until I knew how much the game meant for you.

This is just icing on the cake.

I assume you mean the proverbial "you" and not me specifically b/c the game stung but didn't really hurt considering just a few days earlier I got to watch Matthews have the greatest rookie debut in league history. I was personally still on cloud 9 over that ridiculous achievement :)

That was very much justified considering how much childlish crap you and others were giving on Laine for not lighting it up in the preseseason or when he didn't match Matthews 4 goals opening night.

It was just a glorious payback in its on way. After that night, some mouths were surely shut about how Laine should play in the AHL, ring any bells? ;)

I actually went through my own post history just now and found no childish crap or serious posts about Laine needing to play in the AHL, so no, that doesn't ring any bells. I'll assume you have me mixed up with someone else.

And if you think your gloating was "deserved", how was Leafs' fans gloating not "deserved" when Matthews decimated Calder voting (considering all the childish crap posted by Laine fans over the season)?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I remember the night of that game. It was a bigger deal than Leafs fans are now saying it wasn't. Really Laine did not do much in the first half of the game, the Leafs were playing well, but once Laine scored his first. The floodgates opened. Making it an unforgettable game for NHL fans I suppose that love entertaining games, and unlikely outcomes. Perhaps more forgettable for the losing team. Laine finishing it off in OT from a missed Matthews chance seconds before his snipe was the exclamation point. Don't let anyone fool you. It was a big game and those who participated on the board know this.

Actually the 2nd game almost had a similar result. Laine with 2 goals, and Matthews in the sin bin going into OT. I was almost sure Laine would end that game also, but perhaps that would be too cruel a punishment by the hockey gods to have that happen twice. Laine winning a 2nd game in OT.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Uh, the leafs also got 3 out of 4 points against them lol.

Both games went to OT...

Leafs also outshot them 77 to 54 in the two games combined and held the jets to only 20 shots in the last game they played, this largely due to the leafs having a better overall attack than the jets down the line up, if that carries over I expect the leafs to have the majority of the scoring chances

Jets' blueline in the 2nd matchup last season:

Morrissey - Byfuglien
Stuart - Chiarot
Melchiori - Postma

vs

Morrissey- Trouba
Kulikov-Byfuglien
Enstrom - Myers

*tbf I believe Marner missed that one too.

Also Little & Trouba were out for the first game.

Last edited:

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Jets blueline in the 2nd matchup:

Morrissey - Byfuglien
Stuart - Chiarot
Melchiori - Postma

vs

Morrissey- Trouba
Kulikov-Byfuglien
Enstrom - Myers

This is exactly why I'm looking forward to the first game of the season, the game won't even be close as the ones in the past when the Jets ice a full roster.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Jets' blueline in the 2nd matchup last season:

Morrissey - Byfuglien
Stuart - Chiarot
Melchiori - Postma

vs

Morrissey- Trouba
Kulikov-Byfuglien
Enstrom - Myers

*tbf I believe Marner missed that one too.

Also Little & Trouba were out for the first game.

An important point the poster forgot to include. ;) W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->