Who wins the first game of the regular season: Leafs or Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Byfuglien
Enstrom - Myers

Should be way better.

The Leafs and Jets are to a point offensively where defences alone can't stop them.

The Leafs forwards will run over that D core, just like the Jets would against the Leafs D core.

It's going to take a team effort to stop either team.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
As much as posters from both sides like to take jabs at each other these two teams have very bright futures and are matched incredible close. Great win for Canadian hockey fans we have two more upcoming relevant teams playing in Canada. Anyone claiming either team is significantly better then the other I question how much hockey they really watch or they just got a clear agenda to bash the other team/city regardless of the objective facts.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The Leafs and Jets are to a point offensively where defences alone can't stop them.

The Leafs forwards will run over that D core, just like the Jets would against the Leafs D core.

It's going to take a team effort to stop either team.

Historically since the Jets returned, the Jets are 10-5 (multi OT games in there) vs Leafs and the goalies/defence on both teams have faired poorly. Obviously this 10-5 record means little now, b/c both teams lineups have significantly changed over the last six years. Both teams have only a handful of players on the roster from six years ago. Going to be a barn burner i'm expecting with a +/- 7 goals scored in total by the two teams. Flip a coin who wins.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I remember the night of that game. It was a bigger deal than Leafs fans are now saying it wasn't. Really Laine did not do much in the first half of the game, the Leafs were playing well, but once Laine scored his first. The floodgates opened. Making it an unforgettable game for NHL fans I suppose that love entertaining games, and unlikely outcomes. Perhaps more forgettable for the losing team. Laine finishing it off in OT from a missed Matthews chance seconds before his snipe was the exclamation point. Don't let anyone fool you. It was a big game and those who participated on the board know this.

Actually the 2nd game almost had a similar result. Laine with 2 goals, and Matthews in the sin bin going into OT. I was almost sure Laine would end that game also, but perhaps that would be too cruel a punishment by the hockey gods to have that happen twice. Laine winning a 2nd game in OT.

Oh no worries, we understand. We know it was your Stanley Cup game and also for like-minded others. People only celebrate like that after winning the cup, or after beating a team they are obsessed with.

That game didn't help your team make the playoffs and didn't help Laine win the Calder, but you did beat Toronto once last year so that's a big game!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Oh no worries, we understand. We know it was your Stanley Cup game and also for like-minded others. People only celebrate like that after winning the cup, or after beating a team they are obsessed with.

That game didn't help your team make the playoffs and didn't help Laine win the Calder, but you did beat Toronto once last year so that's a big game!

He's pretty obviously a neutral NHL fan/observer. I would be genuinely shocked if he had any sort of emotional investment to Toronto (or any team)

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015

Let's not forget that many Leafs fans were hyping the game just as much as Jets fans were, if not more due to Matthews having already proved him to be something special whereas Laine "only" had solid start to the season with 1+1 in his first game and then going pointless against Wild.

I'm sure there were just as many Leafs fans as there were Jets fans who felt like the game was bigger than your typical game against teams like Arizona (no disrespect to them).

I can also understand why you might want to act like that wasn't a big game.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Leafs 5-2 Matthews with 2 points Laine pointless

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Leafs vs Jets

Offense Leafs = Jets
Defense Leafs < Jets
Goaltending Leafs > Jets
Coaching Leafs > Jets
Special teams Leafs > Jets

Leafs should win and likely have a better season. Jets are 50/50 to make the playoffs. That's a brutal division.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Leafs vs Jets

Offense Leafs = Jets
Defense Leafs < Jets
Goaltending Leafs > Jets
Coaching Leafs > Jets

Leafs should win and likely have a better season. Jets are 50/50 to make the playoffs. That's a brutal division.

I would rate them close to yours with minor adjustment

Offence Leafs = Jets (Jets better top 6, Leafs have very good top 9)

Defence Leafs << Jets (Jets bottom pairing of Myers/Toby is crazy good)

Goaltending Leafs > Jets (Anderson gets hurt could be problems for Leafs, but at moment he's better then Mason/Hutch)

Coaching Leafs >> Jets (Babs is top 2-3 coach in the world, pmo is not)

Special teams > Jets (Leafs coaching help special team results)

Two teams are very very closely matched imo, i think both will have challenges making playoffs but I'll say both make it.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Leafs vs Jets

Offense Leafs = Jets
Defense Leafs < Jets
Goaltending Leafs > Jets
Coaching Leafs > Jets

That's a pretty fair analysis IMO. I don't think it's far-fetched to see any of that change over the course of the year either. The teams are fairly evenly matched. As you mentioned, the Jets are in a very tough division.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I would rate them close to yours with minor adjustment

Offence Leafs = Jets (Jets better top 6, Leafs have very good top 9)

Defence Leafs << Jets (Jets bottom pairing of Myers/Toby is crazy good)

Goaltending Leafs > Jets (Anderson gets hurt could be problems for Leafs, but at moment he's better then Mason/Hutch)

Coaching Leafs >> Jets (Babs is top 2-3 coach in the world, pmo is not)

Special teams > Jets (Leafs coaching help special team results)

Two teams are very very closely matched imo, i think both will have challenges making playoffs but I'll say both make it.

I have a hard time saying that the Jets defense is that much better than Toronto's. I'd say that their personal is better, but their system and actual results are worse.

Last season the Jets allowed 21 more goals than the leafs. Some can be blamed on goaltending, some on injuries, but if the gap between the Jets defense and the leafs defense was that big, the stats would back it up. Instead they show that the leafs were better.

Kulikov won't help the Jets much this season. Having less injuries might help.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I have a hard time saying that the Jets defense is that much better than Toronto's. I'd say that their personal is better, but their system and actual results are worse.

Last season the Jets allowed 21 more goals than the leafs. Some can be blamed on goaltending, some on injuries, but if the gap between the Jets defense and the leafs defense was that big, the stats would back it up. Instead they show that the leafs were better.

Kulikov won't help the Jets much this season. Having less injuries might help.

I was rating coaching as systems, personnel as D.

Jets personnel much better on D, coaching for Leafs have better systems.

Left side last year was Josh, Stuart (one of worse D in the nhl) and Chariot (7-8th D at best). This year Josh (year old & better), Toby (bottom pairing less grind on his body) & Kuli (#5D) is much better then last years left side. So we don't need Kuli to be great or even good top 4, we just need him to be solid defensively and nothing fancy. Kuli is just a bridge as our lhd develop

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Let's not forget that many Leafs fans were hyping the game just as much as Jets fans were, if not more due to Matthews having already proved him to be something special whereas Laine "only" had solid start to the season with 1+1 in his first game and then going pointless against Wild.

I'm sure there were just as many Leafs fans as there were Jets fans who felt like the game was bigger than your typical game against teams like Arizona (no disrespect to them).

I can also understand why you might want to act like that wasn't a big game.

Yeah saying there was absolutely no hype from Leafs fans for that game is the most smug thing I've ever read. My Leafs friends literally had a Leafs/Jets party for the game, something they haven't done outside of leafs playoffs games. Where the mandatory dress wear was Leafs/Jets gear.
Anyone who says that wasn't a hyped game for both teams is lying to themselves, presumably to try and sound a lot cooler then they are. Hockey hipsters are the lamest kinds of hockey fans.

You're not that cool guys.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yeah saying there was absolutely no hype from Leafs fans for that game is the most smug thing I've ever read. My Leafs friends literally had a Leafs/Jets party for the game, something they haven't done outside of leafs playoffs games. Where the mandatory dress wear was Leafs/Jets gear.
Anyone who says that wasn't a hyped game for both teams is lying to themselves, presumably to try and sound a lot cooler then they are. Hockey hipsters are the lamest kinds of hockey fans.

The Jets and Leafs aren't really rivals either, yeah people here probably cared just because of the nonstop arguing about Laine and Matthews but most Leaf fans didn't. It wasn't that big of a game for the average Leaf fan. It has nothing to do about smugness or being cool but your average Leaf fan really didn't care that much and why would they? Matthews and Laine was a fun story for the media to talk up but it's not what makes a fan base start to hate another team.

Most teams aren't rivals and most fans don't care that much about the other team as long as their team wins. I don't know so many people act like the average fan has blood feuds with most teams, they don't.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The Jets and Leafs aren't really rivals either, yeah people here probably cared just because of the nonstop arguing about Laine and Matthews but most Leaf fans didn't. It wasn't that big of a game for the average Leaf fan. It has nothing to do about smugness or being cool but your average Leaf fan really didn't care that much and why would they? Matthews and Laine was a fun story for the media to talk up but it's not what makes a fan base start to hate another team.

Most teams aren't rivals and most fans don't care that much about the other team as long as their team wins. I don't know so many people act like the average fan has blood feuds with most teams, they don't.

It wasn't a blood feud at the party I went to. In fact it was a tonne of fun and everyone had a good time. This site was pretty busy from both fan bases during and after that game. Things like this can create rivalries all the time. I think people should embrace it rather than bring out the tired old argument that they aren't even in the same conference or division. Every single Leafs and Jets fan I know in my city will be at my buddies party for opening night game. They don't even do that for Sens or Habs games. The hype is real. You can live under a rock and pretend like you don't care but I know many Leafs fans personally that openly know that this game has more hype than the average regular season game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

This is what I recall, any Leafs fans who are claiming there was no hype for the first Laine vs Matthews Jets - Leafs game needs to look at these threads.

Notice the first post and why Jets and Laine fans could not be faulted for their response to Patrik's hatty and GWG in OT.

Patrick Laine through his first 3 NHL games has 1 goal and 1 assist.

Auston Matthews through his first 2 NHL games has 4 goals and 0 assists.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2138667

Thread #2 http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2139437

Plenty of evidence there was significant hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad