Who will be the new coach?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Okay, I like it. That said, and sorry to be a Debbie downer, I think a guy with some AHL success might have been better, but time will tell.

One think I don't like is how it sort of puts us in the rudderless direction that I saw under Nieuwendyke. Nill picked his second or third choice in Ruff, who was all offense, then Hitch (with pressure from above) who was all D, and we are to believe JM is a perfect balance of the two.

I used to think Niewy drafted in scattershot fashion, first going for size, then speed, then by potential, then by position, etc. I figured Nill would draft all talent, but seems to have gone in a few different directions, too. Certainly they guys they drafted will fit this system better than a Hitch system, but......we change directions again.

It has always seemed to me that the successful franchises stick to a plan, and it may take 3 years to get the right pieces in place to play their system, and they are contenders. Average to poor franchises switch directions several times, derailing progress. Even a few bad years didn't knock Detroit off its plan, for example.

I thought Nill would be the former type GM, but it seems he may be the latter, no? While it seems he makes the best of situations, he doesn't strongly set direction. Of course, Seguin and Spezza were steals, but Ruff, Bishop and many others were not the right choices, even if the easiest/perhaps best choice at the time. Gonchar and a few others were outright examples of "choices to make choices".

Should be more hopeful, I know. Let's hope in terms of coaching hires, for Jim Nill, third time is the charm.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I was a bit worried about him being an NCAA coach instead of AHL, but there's lots of good press on him out there, and thank the Lord he's not AV or some other failed retread. So, welcome aboard Jim! :thumbu:

Also, with his last name being Montgomery, we get to use relevant Burns gifs all season!

exc.gif

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Barnes should come back, but Wilson and Fraser can go.

I believe Shapiro said there was a good chance Barnes would be back. I imagine that doesn't guarantee him a bench spot. He could end up as eyes in the sky if Montgomery doesn't want 4 on the bench and he wants a different guy working with forwards.

I think the D coach will be pretty important. Need some good to manage Heiskanen and Honka's development. Need to get the most out of Klingberg, Lindell, and Johns. This could quickly become the strength of the team.

Reactions: Karitimes

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'm sure having half of the defence be AHL players might force you to change how you want to play
Sure if we looked good before the injuries, then suddenly looked like garbage, but we've looked like garbage since day 1, so got another excuse ready to go? or are we just going to roll with that one?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Sure if we looked good before the injuries, then suddenly looked like garbage, but we've looked like garbage since day 1, so got another excuse ready to go? or are we just going to roll with that one?

How exactly have we looked like garbage? Have you looked at the standings?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
These days you’re either elite or awful. Haven’t you heard?
Yeah that's what it is. Maybe you should watch the team play. And oh man they are barely holding onto a wild card spot. We should just plan the parade now.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Yeah that's what it is. Maybe you should watch the team play. And oh man they are barely holding onto a wild card spot. We should just plan the parade now.
You’re exactly confirming my point. Wild card equals just above the middle of the league. All with a cobbled together from spare parts D and a new coach/system. That’s neither elite nor awful.

Personally I’d put it at not too bad considering.

What exactly are you expecting?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Exactly i don't know what expection are here ? The team missed the playoffs the last two season and didn't improve its most glaring weakness significantly ( more top6 scoring ) . Sure the roster overall is better but so is the record and thats despite a massive amount of injuries. We've already lost more man-games than we had the entire last year. The team has improved .

Is it a bonafide cup contender ? No but not like we could randomly become as good as Tampa without improving the teams most glaring weakness. Everybody here wanted another top6 player but it didn't happen.

Its a team thats is fighting for third in the division or a wild card spot . Anything more than that would've been illusionary expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kcb12345

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
How exactly have we looked like garbage? Have you looked at the standings?

How often do we rag on the Stars for being a one line team, or not putting up any shots in the first period, etc.

Also 31st in the league in 5v5 Corsi For. Usually not a good sign of things to come.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
How often do we rag on the Stars for being a one line team, or not putting up any shots in the first period, etc.

Also 31st in the league in 5v5 Corsi For. Usually not a good sign of things to come.

Fans tend to rag on their team unless it’s absolutely dominant, and often even then.

Do you happen to have a map of that 5/5 corsi for and standings? Either this year or last? Just curious how relevant it is.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It's also incredibly damaging to any kind of stats how incredibly abysmal the offense has been on the road for the most part. Only reason the team is where it is is the goaltending and defense holding it together. Offense is only reliable when they're in Dallas.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
You’re exactly confirming my point. Wild card equals just above the middle of the league. All with a cobbled together from spare parts D and a new coach/system. That’s neither elite nor awful.

Personally I’d put it at not too bad considering.

What exactly are you expecting?
Hell, I thought the best this team could hope for going into the season was the 8 seed, so holding down a playoff spot is exceeding my expectations.

Considering they did nothing this offseason to help the forward unit, I was pretty sure this team would be pretty bad. Now, the forward unit is struggling to contribute offense, but the team's overall defensive play is keeping them in most every game.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If Monty and the boys can avoid the second half losing streak that has occurred in many of the last ten years, they will be okay.

On a separate note, the Athletic picked their top 50 players in 2021. Klinger at 19, Seguin at 40, Miro and Jamie nowhere to be found. I can understand them thinking Jamie will be too old, although Bergeron and a few others still on list. Also, probably written before JB started his current scoring streak.

I think Dahlin was near the top 5 and would think Miro would be on there somewhere, even with quiet stats. Hirchier made it, picked just before.

List dominated by Leafs, Lightning, Flames and Hurricanes for most part. Nothing we wouldn't expect, but confirms we lacked high end talents in the last ten drafts or so. I think we are what we are, a mid pack team, now and in the future. (Granted, only one list, but it does show who has the most talent entering their prime in the next few years, while most of our top talent is already there, and we aren't doing much with it.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If Monty and the boys can avoid the second half losing streak that has occurred in many of the last ten years, they will be okay.

On a separate note, the Athletic picked their top 50 players in 2021. Klinger at 19, Seguin at 40, Miro and Jamie nowhere to be found. I can understand them thinking Jamie will be too old, although Bergeron and a few others still on list. Also, probably written before JB started his current scoring streak.

I think Dahlin was near the top 5 and would think Miro would be on there somewhere, even with quiet stats. Hirchier made it, picked just before.

List dominated by Leafs, Lightning, Flames and Hurricanes for most part. Nothing we wouldn't expect, but confirms we lacked high end talents in the last ten drafts or so. I think we are what we are, a mid pack team, now and in the future. (Granted, only one list, but it does show who has the most talent entering their prime in the next few years, while most of our top talent is already there, and we aren't doing much with it.

He thinks Klingberg being the #1 will hurt Miro's stats

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Fans tend to rag on their team unless it’s absolutely dominant, and often even then.

Do you happen to have a map of that 5/5 corsi for and standings? Either this year or last? Just curious how relevant it is.

Fair. I just think we’re getting too caught up in recent W/L results.

Bigger picture thoughts: How often have we been let down by our backup? Last year Kari was great until it mattered. We played pretty strong defensively under The Hitchcock system and it didn’t result in a playoff berth. We didn’t do anything to improve our forwards and it shows, how long does our current point rate last? Does it taper off? How better are the Stars when the defense is healthy?

Also

No but I could make one pretty quick this evening

Reactions: eartotheground

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad