Who will be the new coach?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
He didn't set the world on fire in Carolina, though I realize Carolina isn't a fantastic team.

I just worry about Nill's old Detroit connections since he brought in McDonnell to overthink first round picks. That's likely unfair to Peters, but it makes me gun shy nonetheless.

Reactions: Benneguin

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don’t really care about the next coach of this team tbh. It’s hard to have input on what most of these guys bring to the table.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
word- i dont really know either .. I just hope it's not a retread, surprise me :D make me feel hopeful again

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Keefe, Nelson, Montgomery for me, but I am a little hesistant to bring in a college coach with no professional background, even though Montgomery has been great for Denver.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Sounds like Peters is gone, but wasn't my personal fave anyway. Great stats are great, but that didn't lead to winning records in CAR, not that they had a great team.

Athletic had an interesting article on Keefe. I doubt Nill goes that way with his history with Frost. Not saying anything is his fault, but some folks tend to stay away from even sniff of scandal, and I think Nill is one of those. Just MHO.

Nelson anyone?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Worth noting Paul MacLean was an assistant coach in Detroit from 2005 to 2011.

Also a former teammate of Nill's on the Jets from 1984 to 1988 and the 1988-89 Wings.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Also worth noting that while Nill brought his scouting guy (S?) he hasn't hired a coach with his Detroit connection yet. Of course, in coaching, it is a matter of who might be available at the exact time required.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Sounds like Peters is gone, but wasn't my personal fave anyway. Great stats are great, but that didn't lead to winning records in CAR, not that they had a great team.

Athletic had an interesting article on Keefe. I doubt Nill goes that way with his history with Frost. Not saying anything is his fault, but some folks tend to stay away from even sniff of scandal, and I think Nill is one of those. Just MHO.

Nelson anyone?

Don't think Frost will be an issue at all. Keefe has been very adamant he's put that part of his life behind him and he's won everywhere he's been since. You'd think working in junior, the red flags would have popped up. You'd also think if he passes Lou Lamoriello's scrutinity - particularly since Lou had Denton in New Jersey - he'll be ok elsewhere.

MacLean is interesting. You seldom hear complaints about coaching with him. His lack of a job is more about him being too candid in public apparently. His history with Nill may get him an interview he wouldn't get elsewhere. It could be a hire that puts Nill's butt on the line, but he's likely in that boat with anyone.

With the Nelson and Keefe talk, I do wonder about Laxdal. He's done fairly well anywhere he's been and he presumably knows the systems the Stars have run the past two years. Might be an interesting perspective there on what has worked and not.

________

Feb 6, 2006

"You've got to have the basic qualities. You've got to handle the bench. You've got to handle players, older players, and younger players," Nill said.

"Our game is going to younger players, that is a big part of it. It's the nature of the beast. The way the cap system works, the way our game has progressed, the way young players have progressed."

Nill admitted he'd been an old-school guy who prefers to be patient with the development of prospects, often saying he likes them to be "overripe" before making the full-time jump to the NHL. But times have changed, and Nill said so will he and the Stars.

"I was brought up that you've got to be overripe, but I am seeing more and more young players making that step quicker," Nill said.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Most people as they age struggle more and more to change or admit their faults. Glad to see Nill doing both. (At least verbally)

I agree. Really like the idea of him acknowledging his treatment of the young players/prospects and realizing times are different now. If he maintains that we could have a pretty exciting young lineup next year

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As an old dude, I will say that assumption is not entirely true. Basically, you stay the same person you were in kindergarten. I see people who mature well and follow the mantra of "know thyself" while others keep committing the same mistakes over and over.

Or as my father once put it, some people have 30 years experience, others have one year experience 30 times over.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
As an old dude, I will say that assumption is not entirely true. Basically, you stay the same person you were in kindergarten. I see people who mature well and follow the mantra of "know thyself" while others keep committing the same mistakes over and over.

Or as my father once put it, some people have 30 years experience, others have one year experience 30 times over.
In Nill's case, it's learning from his mistakes rather than outright changing. I think Nill is intelligent enough to see what he's doing wrong and change it. Arrogance is what tends to stunt self-improvement, and he doesn't seem like the arrogant type. But we'll have to wait and see.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, I agree. Given Nill passed on several GM jobs (partly for personal reasons, but also to make sure he himself was actually "over ripe" for the head job, I don't sense ego is too big a part of his thought process.

I think everyone thought he was a great hire. But, looking at his now 5 year tenure, I had predicted a playoff contender by year 3, and a Stanley Cup by now. At least, most teams that do win seem to take about 3 years to fill out the roster, and another 2 or so to figure out how to win.

IMHO, like a lot of players, he is too good to jettison, not sure we could find a better replacement, but it does seem as if we are on the treadmill that is created by your typical "average" GM. Some of it is circumstance beyond his control, of course, but the pattern is not as up (with bumps) as you would expect with a GM who knows how to build a team.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Most people as they age struggle more and more to change or admit their faults. Glad to see Nill doing both. (At least verbally)

I suppose following the herd is better than getting left behind. Not exactly what he was hyped up to be, but then again maybe he wasn't ripe when he got here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad