Who will be the new coach?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Shapiro seems to like Todd Nelson of the AHL Marlies and a few other AHL coaches he thinks relate to young players.

I am on board with that type of selection, over AV and THAT type of selection.
Yeah, I'm fine with AHL coach or current NHL assistant. Even a retread is fine, but maybe one who didn't make his name during the hook and hold era.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'm excited and nervous at the same time lol

Last year was a big off season and it looks like this year will be bigger

Boomtime

Aug 22, 2012
Ralph Krueger...well versed and also has some extensive skills in leadership might be able to fix our teams mental hiccups.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Honestly I'm not a huge fan of AV, but I'd take him over Hitch. I do hope we look elsewhere though.

Reactions: Kcb12345

________

Feb 6, 2006

Breakdown of his system

"We're looking for a winning pedigree. We want to play fast. We want to play hard. We want to be very good defensively," Nill said. "We are going to look at all different angles. I want to be pretty open-minded about this. You are seeing some success with young coaches coming in, and there are some successful coaches out there that have great resumes. …

"The game is changing, and you have to evolve, and I think it is important that we look at every option."

Sheldon Keefe, Todd Nelson or Jim Montgomery.

Nill is expected to look for a coach who can relate to the younger players and incorporate them into the fast game the team is seeking.

And the building could come on legs that are much younger - and possibly on minds that are much younger. Asked if he was open to hiring a new head coach with no previous NHL experience, Nill said yes.

“The coaching fraternity has almost become like the players now,” Nill said. “I’m amazed at the kids who come in at 18 or 19 and they don’t miss a beat, and I think we’re seeing that with coaches, too. The game is changing and you have to evolve, and I think it’s important for us to make sure you look over every option.”

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Whoever it is he needs to play the kids instead of "cagey veterans" who f*ck up as much as the kids but have "veteran leadership" . Who is helped by playing Pateryn 20+ mediocre minutes a night or Ritchie getting first line minutes for no reason over and over again ? Certainly not the team nor the coach in the long run.

There's a couple of good young guys coming up for the Stars and whoever comes in for the Stars has to be willing to play them major minutes.

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
Whoever it is he needs to play the kids instead of "cagey veterans" who f*ck up as much as the kids but have "veteran leadership" . Who is helped by playing Pateryn 20+ mediocre minutes a night or Ritchie getting first line minutes for no reason over and over again ? Certainly not the team nor the coach in the long run.

There's a couple of good young guys coming up for the Stars and whoever comes in for the Stars has to be willing to play them major minutes.

I agree give the young guys a chance to succeed. All to often rookies where given very few minutes (ie 5-8 minutes 4th line duty) or were paired with underwhelming talent. (ie. Ritchie) How can they succeed in such an environment. Hitches dump and chase system didn't exactly help on the scoring end.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I agree give the young guys a chance to succeed. All to often rookies where given very few minutes (ie 5-8 minutes 4th line duty) or were paired with underwhelming talent. (ie. Ritchie) How can they succeed in such an environment. Hitches dump and chase system didn't exactly help on the scoring end.

Yup. It would also help if Nill stops with the dime-a-dozen, 3rd / 4th line / 3rd pair / 7th D veteran signings every offseason. Well run franchises don’t do this regularly. That’s what the minors are for.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yup. It would also help if Nill stops with the dime-a-dozen, 3rd / 4th line / 3rd pair / 7th D veteran signings every offseason. Well run franchises don’t do this regularly. That’s what the minors are for.

I mean if Pateryn or Ritchie was the #7/#13 it would've been absolutely fine . You usually don't want a young guy to be your spares for an extended period of time but have them playing significant minutes either in the NHL or AHL. It becomes a problem when the coach just refuses to play the young guys over the reserve veterans despite the spares playing badly. For a 10-20 ish games i was fine with Pateryn but then he started to suck and he still played 20+ minutes every night.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I mean if Pateryn or Ritchie was the #7/#13 it would've been absolutely fine . You usually don't want a young guy to be your spares for an extended period of time but have them playing significant minutes either in the NHL or AHL. It becomes a problem when the coach just refuses to play the young guys over the reserve veterans despite the spares playing badly. For a 10-20 ish games i was fine with Pateryn but then he started to suck and he still played 20+ minutes every night.

Well there are young guys and then there are young guys. I agree you don’t want a Honka or similar type of prospect not playing, but for everyone else it shouldn’t matter. Every team has a bunch of third line / third pairing prospects. They are a dime a dozen. It makes no sense to keep those young guys players in the AHL if they can fill a minor role at the NHL level. Paying a veteran to do this, ESPECIALLY when you’re not a contender is just flushing money down the drain. The real problem here is we don’t really have any prospects worth protection of their development.

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
Will Derek Laxdal get serious consideration for this? He seems to have done well wherever he goes, though he has not done much in the AHL Playoffs as of yet.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Well there are young guys and then there are young guys. I agree you don’t want a Honka or similar type of prospect not playing, but for everyone else it shouldn’t matter. Every team has a bunch of third line / third pairing prospects. They are a dime a dozen. It makes no sense to keep those young guys players in the AHL if they can fill a minor role at the NHL level. Paying a veteran to do this, ESPECIALLY when you’re not a contender is just flushing money down the drain. The real problem here is we don’t really have any prospects worth protection of their development.

Do we? We have no prospects in the AHL. Texas Stars is full of old career AHLers and fillers. We have Gurianov, Hintz, and Bayreuther. Since our drafting is so pathetic and we can't select players who are good enough to graduate from the CHL to AHL.

________

Feb 6, 2006

He's wants a lot. He wants a coach who embraces speed and possession. He also wants a coach who is good at putting structure in place. He values the experience of veterans, but also wants the energy of kids. I think he wants the team to play the way the old Red Wings played, and also wants them to have their own Dallas Stars identity. It's a pretty tough balancing act.

If I am making a guess, I think he would love a coach who did what Todd McLellan did in San Jose.McLellan came from the Red Wings, incorporated the Red Wings ideal in a new and exciting way with the Sharks, and came up with a wonderful hybrid.

I think Nill would like to see something like that.

Reactions: Kcb12345
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Friday seems like too short a time frame for Nill to do the thorough search he talked about in interviews. There's still lots of guys in playoffs that he might not have even interviewed yet, so I bet this means they're not hiring Peters.

________

Feb 6, 2006
Friday seems like too short a time frame for Nill to do the thorough search he talked about in interviews. There's still lots of guys in playoffs that he might not have even interviewed yet, so I bet this means they're not hiring Peters.
Peters could just use the out and then find a new coaching position after the World Championships are done. There's the potential of more jobs being open then.
It's finding the right coach who fits team you want to build.
Currently say Calgary's roster isn't a good fit for Peters coaching style, so that might not be a good choice for Peters. Sure things can change if they change out players. Plus the Calgary GM might be on the hot seat .
Where as Peters coaching style fits what Nill is building (ignoring say Hanzal/Methot) which were brought in because of Hitchcock.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad