Who should be our next captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I guess the correction doesn't confirm or deny martinook getting a letter?

The original didn’t imply Martinook was one of them either. “Martinook told is that they selected captain and alternate captains today” or something like that. Is instead of us. He just told them they were told about captains today and he wouldn’t tell them.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I thought it almost sounded like Forslund said there was a good chance Staal would get the C during the last broadcast.

I don't know if I misheard, or he has info, or he just thinks that's the no brainer given the roster construction.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I thought it almost sounded like Forslund said there was a good chance Staal would get the C during the last broadcast.

I don't know if I misheard, or he has info, or he just thinks that's the no brainer given the roster construction.

Yeah he seems dead set on it to the point where it’s probably him.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I dont know if it's based on any reality but I have just always gotten the feeling Staal doesnt really want the C. He definitely played awesome down the stretch last year though and if anything helps him get to that level again I'm for it

I think a year of seeing how Williams handled it showed it might not be as overwhelming a job as it seems. Plus, if anyone has earned it over their contributions long term for this franchise, it's him. Allowing Slavin to use his private jet miles during the playoffs solidified it for me.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
images

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Meh. He didn’t want it at all the year before they made him one. Then he didn’t really seem to want to be it last time he was.

I’d rather have no captain then just choosing the best option when there are no really good options.

I don’t like Brindy’s quote about something not feeling right in the room and needing someone to take charge either.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Meh. He didn’t want it at all the year before they made him one. Then he didn’t really seem to want to be it last time he was.

One thing I don't think we've really paid much attention to is mental health. Jordan has had a really rough go of it the last couple years in his personal life, but he does seem to be in a pretty good place at the moment. As somebody who's struggled with depression before, it can really do a number on you. I've also really wondered if getting through struggles of that sort was part of why he went from playing like Victor Rask to playing like a world beater after he came back from injury last year. I don't like to speculate too much on that stuff, but it is a potential factor that I think people should be aware of in sports as in society in general.

If Williams and Brind'Amour think he's the guy, then I respect their judgement. They know him far better than any of us, and they also know the backstory to why he might have struggled with the C before. And he won't need to be the hype guy in the leadership group with Martinook having an A. I do love that they did that- his contribution off the ice is so much more valuable than his contribution on it, and it was very clear that he was a strong leader last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad