Speculation: Who should be our next captain? - Update: it's Staal

Who should be our next captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think it's good that Aho didn't get a letter. Share the team duties more evenly, he already got the young face of franchise and 1C stuff to do.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
One thing I don't think we've really paid much attention to is mental health. Jordan has had a really rough go of it the last couple years in his personal life, but he does seem to be in a pretty good place at the moment. As somebody who's struggled with depression before, it can really do a number on you. I've also really wondered if getting through struggles of that sort was part of why he went from playing like Victor Rask to playing like a world beater after he came back from injury last year. I don't like to speculate too much on that stuff, but it is a potential factor that I think people should be aware of in sports as in society in general.

If Williams and Brind'Amour think he's the guy, then I respect their judgement. They know him far better than any of us, and they also know the backstory to why he might have struggled with the C before. And he won't need to be the hype guy in the leadership group with Martinook having an A. I do love that they did that- his contribution off the ice is so much more valuable than his contribution on it, and it was very clear that he was a strong leader last year.
I agree with you, and I too have battled with some of that especially over the last couple of years. Maybe he’s better for the job now, and maybe he’ll want to embrace it more. We’ll see.

Agreed for sure on Marty. Deserves an A. For those who wanted Aho, I think he should just focus on being our best forward and not worry about a letter right now.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Not the way I would have gone based on what I think I know, but I trust the guys in charge at this point.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I thought we gave Eric the C a bit early as well.

Forced into it because of Rod's injury. It slowed him down to the point where he wasn't an effective player anymore and he knew his career was over. He passed the torch and hoped that Staal would grow into it but he just didn't have the personality for it. Staal obviously still an all-time great hurricane but your captain can't be the kind of guy that takes the first 2 months of the season off every year.

Reactions: JungleJerk

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
80% of the officials in the NHL are Canadian and most came up through the Canadian Juniors system. Every year the Stormtrackers luncheon brings in refs to speak and every year the refs state how important rapport is with the players in communicating and making adjustments. The past 2 years officials talked about how they reffed Williams since his OHL days and what a great guy he is. I think this aspect plays a part into Jordan Staal being next in line. Aho can get there with time but he will have to make a point to communicate with the refs and build his relationships with officials.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
I’ve heard people comment at the game that he didn’t want it before or he was already captain and sucked at it. I think prior, it was too close to his brother no longer being on the team and he probably didn’t feel right taking it from his brother. Then he was part of the stupid co-captaincy with Faulk. Where even both guys admitted it was stupid and likely caused confusion on who would take the lead.

Seems to me Jordan is in a really good place now and he seems excited and ready to lead this team. Let’s see what he can do. Slavin and Martinook were the other no brainers for Alternates.

I trust RBA and Williams. If they both know and say he’s the guy, then who am i to argue with two greats.

Let’s get this season going.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Oh yes, the brothers thing: Saku Koivu had a chance to go to Minnesota after the Montreal years, but he didn't want to go to "Mikko's team" but to "protect him and let him do his own thing there" (Mikko's words) and went to Anaheim instead.

They always are individual situations obviously dependent on personalities and a plethora of things, but you gotta respect what your brother has managed to carve for himself in the highest hockey league there is.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
1000% fine with these picks. Thought Staal was going to get it when they gave it to Willy but that was obviously the right choice at the time.

I see Jordan being a great leader for the next few years and I think all those factors that people mentioned earlier (not wanting to take over from his brother, injuries, personal/mental health stuff) probably didn't have him in the right headspace to lead effectively. That's a lot of shit to go through when you're also expected to perform on the ice at a high level.

If the playoffs and how Staal played down the stretch are any indication of where he is now as a player and leader then I could see him (finally) breaking out for a 30-30 season or something like that.

Anyway, excited for the season to start. Good things ahead and Aho will have his time in a few years.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Another point: Aho does draw a lot of penalties (and may be targeted by goonery). When that happens it's better that there are some other guy talking with the ref while Aho limps to the bench looking sad.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Hurricanes still coping with offseason of change as season approaches - Luke DeCock

Hurricanes coach Rod Brind’Amour, in naming Staal captain and Jordan Martinook and Jaccob Slavin alternate captains on Sunday, offered some unexpected insight into the timing of the decision: Things didn’t feel right, and he wanted to empower Staal to take charge and fix it.

It was a moment of possibly unintentional honesty, but the coach was only saying out loud what everyone around the team has been whispering. The three weeks of training camp felt like three months. So many of the new players have been banged up, it’s been hard to integrate them into what’s left of the old group. The Faulk trade speculation hung over the first days of camp like a gas cloud until a deal was finally concluded. The preseason performances were generally limp and uninspired.

Hope it helps. Guess the party's over for now.

Reactions: cptjeff and vorbis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad