Speculation: Who should be our next captain? - Update: it's Staal

Who should be our next captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I can’t imagine any other 18 year old with no ties to the franchise not having a hint of sarcasm when talking about it. I can’t think of a demographic it’s less “for.”
IIRC, Nick was low-key giving him shit about it, so of course you'd expect Ryan to deflect.

Reactions: MinJerkBen

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
To me, we're back where we were before Williams showed up. Nobody appears head and shoulders above everyone else as a leader, at least from the outside.

Aho's getting more comfortable communicating in English, he's a fiery competitor, he takes a step forward every year, and he has the right pedigree both on and off the ice. I have no doubt that one day he can be the quiet leader type. But is he ready to command a room yet? I'm not so sure. We've pushed the captaincy onto our quiet young star before. His production declined and never recovered until he got a fresh start.

For now, I'm in the 3 A's camp. If someone is ready to get the C on his sweater, let him step up and earn it naturally. Like someone else said, Rod has a pretty unique personality for a coach - one that can let him act as our pseudo-captain for a while.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Great guy or not, I can't see the staff giving a 4th line guy with a 2-year contract a letter. Those guys are around to be replaced by younger and cheaper guys as your roster gets more expensive. Giving a guy like that a letter just makes that more difficult and unpopular. As much as I like Marty, I'll be a bit surprised if he is given a letter.
Martinook is worth more to this franchise than simply his on ice contributions. His personality in the locker room and away from the ice sets him apart from the pack and should earn him a very long term stay in Raleigh going forward. He helps keep things loose, which is incredibly important for such a young team. I completely disagree with you, and think he more than deserves a letter, regardless of where he slots in the lineup.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd be okay if it was Marty because from the little we know, he seems like a leader, I like his style, and I like his embrace of the team and area. I don't care that it's not conventional to give lower tier guys the C often. We're not a conventional franchise anymore. And if Aho, or someone else, isn't ready, give it to a short term guy like Marty. Even if he sticks around longer term, I don't see Marty being the type to be upset at giving up the captaincy if it's needed.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Martinook is worth more to this franchise than simply his on ice contributions. His personality in the locker room and away from the ice sets him apart from the pack and should earn him a very long term stay in Raleigh going forward. He helps keep things loose, which is incredibly important for such a young team. I completely disagree with you, and think he more than deserves a letter, regardless of where he slots in the lineup.

For a long term stay, he will need a raise. This management group is not going to give a 4th line player a raise over $2M per year. Go listen to Rod and Waddell talk about Faulk, a guy that you could argue (and the Blues agreed) is worthy of a raise and is an excellent leader in the room.

He's gone.

Marty will be gone at the end of his contract...if he makes it that far.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
For a long term stay, he will need a raise. This management group is not going to give a 4th line player a raise over $2M per year. Go listen to Rod and Waddell talk about Faulk, a guy that you could argue (and the Blues agreed) is worthy of a raise and is an excellent leader in the room.

He's gone.

Marty will be gone at the end of his contract...if he makes it that far.
But again, that's not necessarily a negative if they want a short term solution to give an Aho or maybe even a Svech some time.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
But again, that's not necessarily a negative if they want a short term solution to give an Aho or maybe even a Svech some time.
Sure, they can do that. But that assumes they feel the need to "officially" put a C on someone. I think they go three A's as a short term before they put a C on a guy that is likely not their long term choice.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It's funny how we freak out over 2 Cs, but step ever so casually over 3 As.
I really don't like 3 As either. Name a damn captain. Empower a person to lead. If you don't, guys who might want to take command of a room in a moment might hesitate not knowing if it's supposed to be them or one of the other captains, not knowing where the boundaries line and what level of turf they have to yield to the other co-captains, be they As or Cs. You need to actually empower somebody so everybody knows whose responsibility it is to act when nobody else can step up, most of all the person themselves.

Same reason the military has such clear chains of command. A bad decision is almost always better than no decision-- indecision, confusion, and hesitation is what kills you. Pick a guy. There are several reasonable choices with their own merits, and the benefits and tradeoffs are different with each one. But you do have to make a pick.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Since we don’t do the norm around here. How about we name an A, B, and C captain respectively.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
If you go Staal you go Staal for 4 years, meaning Aho could technically be a 1 year Captain and dip

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Voted Pesce for two reasons.

In the photos from Saturday's NC State football game he sure looks like the captain of that group.

As most of you know I believe the analytics that show Pesce was the best D-man by a considerable margin last season. It is annoying that everyone from Sara C. to the entire CanesCountry staff continue to write how Slavin is "elite" and "under-appreciated around the league" while Pesce is "solid" and "dependable." I get the love for Slavin, but Pesce is due equal respect.
Time to make amends. Either a "C" or let him QB the second unit PP (this is the more serious consideration since Aho/Teravainen/Svech all produced about 50% more goals with Pesce on the ice than Slavin).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad