Speculation: Who should be our next captain? - Update: it's Staal

Who should be our next captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I'm generally not comfortable with giving anybody under the age of 25 the captaincy. No matter how good Aho is, usually younger captains are picked either when there is no established leadership structure on the team (Toews, McDavid, and Crosby were all centerpieces at the time for fledgling cores) or if the older captain decides to pick a young player as his successor to the throne (as Hejduk did for Landeskog right before he retired). The only way that I would be OK with Aho as captain is if the entire veteran core agrees to do it. If not, make Jordan Staal the captain.

The thing I think what we're skipping over entirely is that guys like Toews, McDavid and Crosby were named captain at a young age because they have exhibited leadership skills at every level and were abundantly qualified for the job. It had nothing to do with age. Toews is such a leader that he was probably named captain of street hockey games growing up.

The bottom line here is that we're trying to shoehorn somebody into a role for which they have no experience. We can argue all week (and we have) about who deserves the job, but at the end of the day, the list of players on our team who have *established* leadership abilities at any level of hockey is a very short one. Put it this way, if Aho is such a born leader, and the easy answer for us, why have his leadership abilities never been recognized at any level growing up in Finland, aside from a two-week gig as alternate on the 2016 WJC team?

Captain is not a new role for these guys. They start naming captains around age 10 or 11. And even then, it's a pretty easy call. My kid wanted to wear a letter so bad, but when the coach named the captains of his U10 team, my 9-year-old looked at me and said, "that makes sense." Two years later, the same kid who was captain of my kid's team was named captain of the Junior Hurricanes team that went to Quebec.

The fact remains, we don't have a Messier. We don't have a Toews. We don't have a Crosby. We don't even have an Owen C. And age has nothing to do with it.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
The thing I think what we're skipping over entirely is that guys like Toews, McDavid and Crosby were named captain at a young age because they have exhibited leadership skills at every level and were abundantly qualified for the job. It had nothing to do with age. Toews is such a leader that he was probably named captain of street hockey games growing up.

The bottom line here is that we're trying to shoehorn somebody into a role for which they have no experience. We can argue all week (and we have) about who deserves the job, but at the end of the day, the list of players on our team who have *established* leadership abilities at any level of hockey is a very short one. Put it this way, if Aho is such a born leader, and the easy answer for us, why have his leadership abilities never been recognized at any level growing up in Finland, aside from a two-week gig as alternate on the 2016 WJC team?

Captain is not a new role for these guys. They start naming captains around age 10 or 11. And even then, it's a pretty easy call. My kid wanted to wear a letter so bad, but when the coach named the captains of his U10 team, my 9-year-old looked at me and said, "that makes sense." Two years later, the same kid who was captain of my kid's team was named captain of the Junior Hurricanes team that went to Quebec.

The fact remains, we don't have a Messier. We don't have a Toews. We don't have a Crosby. We don't even have an Owen C. And age has nothing to do with it.

With all due respect, Kev, this may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say.

Was he supposed to be named Captain of Karpat when he was 17? Was he supposed to be named Captain of Karpat U20 when he was 16? Was he supposed to be named Captain of Karpat U18 when he was 15? Was he supposed to be named Captain of Karpat U16 when he was 14?

It's not like he played college hockey. It's not like he played Junior hockey. It's not like he's ever been in the position where he could even remotely reasonably be the captain, because he's been the super-talented under-ager for literally every team he's ever played for. Many Finns Who Would Know say he's likely to be the Captain of the Finnish National Team someday.

This is a bad take. Wow, so bad.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
With all due respect, Kev, this may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say.

Was he supposed to be named Captain of Karpat when he was 17? Was he supposed to be named Captain of Karpat U20 when he was 16? Was he supposed to be named Captain of Karpat U18 when he was 15? Was he supposed to be named Captain of Karpat U16 when he was 14?

It's not like he played college hockey. It's not like he played Junior hockey. It's not like he's ever been in the position where he could even remotely reasonably be the captain, because he's been the super-talented under-ager for literally every team he's ever played for. Many Finns Who Would Know say he's likely to be the Captain of the Finnish National Team someday.

This is a bad take. Wow, so bad.
Just to add to this, his father was also the head of this organization. Unlike some notable politicians, some people go out of their way to avoid the appearance of nepotism.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

I am due no respect. And that is indeed a very high bar to clear.

My only point is that "captain" isn't a role that a player is groomed for, or pushed into. Generally, these guys show leadership traits along the way. I may have erred in choosing Aho as my example because he was always "playing up."

Do we know if he was captain of his U10 team?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
This argument of lack of captain experience reminds me of all the people that were so worried about Brindy not having been a head coach. I wasn't thrilled with his hiring, but I did call out that as bad reasoning. Seemed to work out okay. I think being a captain before, or not, really isn't that big of a deal.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
This argument of lack of captain experience reminds me of all the people that were so worried about Brindy not having been a head coach. I wasn't thrilled with his hiring, but I did call out that as bad reasoning. Seemed to work out okay. I think being a captain before, or not, really isn't that big of a deal.

Oh come on. Is this bad take day? Yeah, Brindy didn't show *anything* during his career as Captain Carolina and five seasons as an assistant that would lead anyone to believe he'd be a good head coach someday.

Last edited:
Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Reminds me of trying to find an Entry Level Engineering job. "Sorry, we can't hire you because we picked/preferred someone with previous experience"..."How about an internship position that requires no experience?"..."Sorry, those are only for undergrads who are trying to get some experience"..."................................."

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Reminds me of trying to find an Entry Level Engineering job. "Sorry, we can't hire you because we picked/preferred someone with previous experience"..."How about an internship position that requires no experience?"..."Sorry, those are only for undergrads who are trying to get some experience"..."................................."
You weren't captain of your junior engineering team, so you clearly will never be an engineer.

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
After the Marty party tonight and speaking with Martinook, he should be captain. Tomorrow he is already bringing the guys together to go golfing. He’s spoken to the new guys about the storm surge, and they are all in, but that’s all he would divulge. Plus the way he took Svech under his wing last season. He isn’t the superstar player or the most well known, but he should be captain until Aho is ready. Just my 2 cents. And he wants the lifetime deal Dundon offered Waddell cause he said he absolutely loves it here and wants to be here forever.

Martinook for captain

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Jake Gardiner.
Matt Damon.

152d7f2dfe5f971c40d5b33da3a8422c06ea21cf.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad