GDT: Who pulled the fire alarm? FA day

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Thing is... Didn't we get Bokk from STL in the Faulk deal? I thought they didn't want him.

I'd be surprised if NJ is on Tarasenko's list. I get it that there is a huge Russian population in the NYC/NJ metro area, but he's not going to win up there. I feel like NJ tried this a couple years ago when they still had Hall where they acquired all these talented players, everybody saw them as a bubble playoff team, and they still finished towards the bottom of the rankings. I don't think their core is good enough to compete.

HF St Louis seems pretty well convinced that The Athletic writer for them is just a direct mouthpiece for Tarasenko's agent. If that is true then it would seem NJ and CAR may be the only two acceptable options left to them right now. However their fans also think the team has no problem bringing him back, who knows.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Is anybody else concerned with the chunk a handful of darts at the board and hope a few of them stick approach the Borg is using?

We've a hyped them up as this super brain trust of elite hockey minds and it's looking more and more like J.R. is back running the show with just more money?

Am I the only one concerned about all the short term deals and UFA contracts we seem to like to take on? Instead of having a galaxy brain calculated plan it seems more like the FO is throwing short term deals around hoping to catch a hot streak and make a run at it? If it doesn't work out (it probably won't) no biggie cause its all short term commitments.

This team doesn't seem like much of a team when you're turning 30-40% of your roster every off-season. Teams that get labeled true contenders typically don't do that do they? Seems that outside of moving out a few contracts to clean up some cap space, maybe bring in a player or two, or have an internal promotion, teams like TB, LV, COL aren't flipping 25%+ of their roster every off-season.

We don't really have a core because in the grand scheme of things we don't have any players locked into long-term deals.

Reactions: LostInaLostWorld

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I never got all the love for hakanpaa. He's not bad or anything, at all, but I never saw much of anything that made me think "oh that's a special player". Glad he got a nice contract.
Well that’s the description of a good third pair guy. He was also righty which we needed and he played physical enough for Rod. Anyone who is happy we got Cole should’ve loved Hank. Hank is a better skater, is a smarter hockey player and has a better first pass. Hank is the euro version of Cole.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Well that’s the description of a good third pair guy. He was also righty which we needed and he played physical enough for Rod. Anyone who is happy we got Cole should’ve loved Hank. Hank is a better skater, is a smarter hockey player and has a better first pass. Hank is the euro version of Cole.

To me, the question was Bear or Hakanpaa, not Cole or Hakanpaa. At least to me, Cole was the present-day defensive upgrade to Bean and Bear was the guy that they chose to get instead of getting 3 years of Hakanpaa. I think the point of this front office is that they want to constantly spend to the cap in the most efficient and flexible way possible. I wouldn't call that cheap, but certainly...a hard balance to achieve that I occasionally question about myself for the same reasons that you do.

Last edited:

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Is anybody else concerned with the chunk a handful of darts at the board and hope a few of them stick approach the Borg is using?

We've a hyped them up as this super brain trust of elite hockey minds and it's looking more and more like J.R. is back running the show with just more money?

Am I the only one concerned about all the short term deals and UFA contracts we seem to like to take on? Instead of having a galaxy brain calculated plan it seems more like the FO is throwing short term deals around hoping to catch a hot streak and make a run at it? If it doesn't work out (it probably won't) no biggie cause its all short term commitments.

This team doesn't seem like much of a team when you're turning 30-40% of your roster every off-season. Teams that get labeled true contenders typically don't do that do they? Seems that outside of moving out a few contracts to clean up some cap space, maybe bring in a player or two, or have an internal promotion, teams like TB, LV, COL aren't flipping 25%+ of their roster every off-season.

We don't really have a core because in the grand scheme of things we don't have any players locked into long-term deals.

I think this is very false and also rather ungrateful, because these 3 years have been wonderful for me, because I certainly haven't forgotten the previous 10 years.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Concerned with the drafting strategy? not yet. The Canes understand that top 6 forwards / top 4 defenders are the hardest to get in the league. They are super expensive to trade for or sign at UFA. Their draft strategy is draft the player in the round they feel has the highest chance of becoming a top 6 or top 4. Typically in rounds 2-7 that means the player has glaring weaknesses. Generally size, 2 way responsible play, etc. The team can teach two way play with slow cooking in Chicago. Its harder to teach scoring instinct and prowess. Francis was the opposite (at least in my opinion). he drafted the guy most likely to make the league using size and hockey IQ as the measuring stick. That is why our rounds 2-7 NHL games played number is so high. Most of those guys are replacement level players. Aho being the exception. Slavin and Pesce were JR draftees in case anyone wanted to jump on me there. Of course the strategy could crash and burn if none of the players past round 1 develop into NHL level players. It could pay off really well too.

Short term contracts: no its a good play. 1. we have zero idea how the cap will behave over the next 3 years. 2. We have some guys we actually want to keep around for many years coming up for re-signings. Svech and probably Svech again in 2-3 years, Necas next year, Tro (probably as we dont have a 2C waiting), Aho, Turbo, and Pesce. If we can keep the replaceable players on short term contracts it allows for more cap flexibility when we have to sign a guy we want to keep. Obviously we have some lumps with that, roster turnover is one of them. Also, we coming into a point where we have 2-3 NHL ready prospects chomping to make the roster. So, shorter bottom 6 and bottom pair contracts means we can fit them into the roster easier.

Our core is: Aho, Turbo, Slavin, Pesce, Svech, Necas, Staal and Skjei. That is who everyone else will gravitate around and how contracts will be structured to support keeping them on the roster.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
True and I definitely don't intend to bash him. I know I've watched Cole play since he was on those penguin cup teams but I have no real memory of him standing out either. Good 3rd pair players are great to have but I was a little surprised hakanpaa got a bidding war

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Rumor is Blues want Saad but have to trade Tarasenko in order to fit him in the Cap.

So let's sign Saad for the term and dollars St. Louis is willing to pay, then trade him to St. Louis for Tarasenko with 2 million retained.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Rumor is Blues want Saad but have to trade Tarasenko in order to fit him in the Cap.

So let's sign Saad for the term and dollars St. Louis is willing to pay, then trade him to St. Louis for Tarasenko with 2 million retained.
STL has 13 million in space. I dont think "paying" Saad 8 million (6 million actual and 2 retained from Tarasenko) is in their plans when they have 4 RFAs to sign and have a depth player to add.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
It almost has to be one of the two coming here. Tarasenko is the shorter term, but Saad is more likely due to NTC?

Or Saad ends up in NJ and they f*** us again.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad