Cole-Bear
Gardiner

Andersen
Raanta

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I sure hope we pull off a Tarasenko trade. The upside of that move is huge. If Tarasenko can play a full season of healthy hockey we've just acquired a 25-35 goal scorer for relatively cheap.

I'm all for Saad too, but Tarasenko would be my target. Saad is a bit more of a safer play, less upside, & maybe has even more chance to backfire if it ends up being a 6x6 deal with him. Something like that could look bad in those final 2-3 seasons.

Would be incredible if we could find a way to pull both players. But that would likely require us to find a way to move Nino & Gardiner.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919

:eek::eek::eek::eek:inmypants.gif

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
He's a 29-year old with 2 years left at $7.5M and who has played 34 games over the past two seasons due to shoulder problems. He's a flashy name, but his value is not that much. It's why he's an attractive gamble for a team like us who needs scoring.

I mean subtracting Gardiner's $4 mill (A guy who will be barely utilized this season) & adding Tarasenko at $6 mill (20% retained). Basically a 2 million $ risk & a mid round pick to try out Tarasenko. Still a no brainer if his physical checks out.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I mean subtracting Gardiner's $4 mill (A guy who will be barely utilized this season) & adding Tarasenko at $6 mill (20% retained). Basically a 2 million $ risk & a mid round pick to try out Tarasenko. Still a no brainer if his physical checks out.

Exactly. On our end, it's worth the gamble due to our need for scoring. But for STL? I get why it's come to this, they're trying to pass him off as 2019 Tarasenko and teams are just not buying it.

If you do get him and he's not healthy? Sucks, but oh well, you tried. On to LTIR he goes and you're ultimately out a draft pick.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
My only worry with Saad is at his peak he's about a 25-25 guy, but over his career he's closer to a 20-2 guy...$6M is a lot for that. He's basically Nino replacement (but can actually perform in playoffs)...I'd worry about a 4+ year deal unless it's a lower AAV

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I like that we put in an offer for Saad. Could be a good fit with any of the top three lines.

Agree. But the problem I see is that Carolina is likely to be outbid again by NJ for Saad.

So this comes down to 3 scenarios:
1) Carolina gets Tarasenko, someone else gets Saad.
2) NJ gets Tarasenko, Carolina gets Saad.
3) Carolina gets neither.

They aren't outbidding the Devils for Saad or anyone other FA. They might outbid the Devils for Tarasenko based on what they are willing to give up.

Last edited:

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
He's a 29-year old with 2 years left at $7.5M and who has played 34 games over the past two seasons due to shoulder problems. He's a flashy name, but his value is not that much. It's why he's an attractive gamble for a team like us who needs scoring.

In a recent article on The Athletic, T's doctor said his shoulder is "stable" and strong enough to hold up to regular play. Now, they said nothing about passing a physical, and iirc there was a lot of "should hold up" in there, but that's at least something of a glimmer in the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad