GDT: Who pulled the fire alarm? FA day

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
It almost has to be one of the two coming here. Tarasenko is the shorter term, but Saad is more likely due to NTC?

Or Saad ends up in NJ and they f*** us again.

Remember the last time New Jersey went for broke in the offseason? Yeah, about that. I don't think it'll be as ineffective this time because the players they want here are a lot better, but still, precautions should be taken before they're crowned offseason champs.

Reactions: DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Is anybody else concerned with the chunk a handful of darts at the board and hope a few of them stick approach the Borg is using?

We've a hyped them up as this super brain trust of elite hockey minds and it's looking more and more like J.R. is back running the show with just more money?

Am I the only one concerned about all the short term deals and UFA contracts we seem to like to take on? Instead of having a galaxy brain calculated plan it seems more like the FO is throwing short term deals around hoping to catch a hot streak and make a run at it? If it doesn't work out (it probably won't) no biggie cause its all short term commitments.

This team doesn't seem like much of a team when you're turning 30-40% of your roster every off-season. Teams that get labeled true contenders typically don't do that do they? Seems that outside of moving out a few contracts to clean up some cap space, maybe bring in a player or two, or have an internal promotion, teams like TB, LV, COL aren't flipping 25%+ of their roster every off-season.

We don't really have a core because in the grand scheme of things we don't have any players locked into long-term deals.
Those teams also are very clos to perennial contenders and have All-Star cores. We just made the playoffs 3x in a row for the first time, have some great-but-not-yet All-Star players, and are still trying to get the right mix of players...that takes a few years of development and shuffling to do

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I would've easily taken Hakanpaa at that price for 3 years. I'm slightly disappointed.

For 2 years, I 100% agree. Here's the issue with the 3rd year, however: Joey Keane is developing quite well in the AHL. He also is waivers-eligible next season. You have to consider him when making present-day defensive moves, because I think it's pretty clear the FO is high on him as a potential NHL-caliber RHD. They also just acquired Ethan Bear, another RHD who only just turned 24, and a small flyer on a controversial but also super-talented DeAngelo, who's also only 25.

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
For 2 years, I 100% agree. Here's the issue with the 3rd year, however: Joey Keane is developing quite well in the AHL. He also is waivers-eligible next season. You have to consider him when making present-day defensive moves, because I think it's pretty clear the FO is high on him as a potential NHL-caliber RHD. They also just acquired Ethan Bear, another RHD who only just turned 24, and a small flyer on a controversial but also super-talented DeAngelo, who's also only 25.
As usual I respect your optimism. Based on watching this team for three years I’ve honestly never thought once that Joey Keane was going to be a Cane. I’ve been assuming he’s trade bait or he’s Mckeown.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
As usual I respect your optimism. Based on watching this team for three years I’ve honestly never thought once that Joey Keane was going to be a Cane. I’ve been assuming he’s trade bait or he’s Mckeown.

I mean, odds are, yes, you're probably right. The point is that you don't know until you know with young players, especially waiver-exempt ones.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
April HF Canes: "f*** Hayden Fleury- Hakkenpaa is EXACTLY what this team needs

July HF Canes "f*** Hakkenpaa! He doesn't deserve 1.5x3"

I grow weary of the constant rationalizations

I wanted Hakanpaa back, though. I said that a 2 year contract at $1.5M per would've been perfect. The issue, at least to me, was the 3rd year. Dallas can offer it because they don't have a top-echelon farm system to keep an eye on for promotion.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Saad to STL.
tenor.gif

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
April HF Canes: "f*** Hayden Fleury- Hakkenpaa is EXACTLY what this team needs

July HF Canes "f*** Hakkenpaa! He doesn't deserve 1.5x3"

I grow weary of the constant rationalizations

I think of it this way - which 3rd pair, on paper, is better, Bean-Hakanpaa or Cole-Bear/TDA?

TDA signing controversy aside, I think they’ve upgraded the 3rd pair, significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad