Who is the big upset in first round?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I wouldn't be shocked at any of the underdog East teams winning their series. I don't think Boston, Tampa, Pitt and Wash are as strong as they appear.
Yes, only Toronto is, glad you can see that. :P

In seriousness though, yes the East has a lot of dangerous teams, anyone could win their first round match up.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yessir, more of this.....
IMG_0745.JPG

And less of this please.
IMG_0744.JPG

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Tampa definitely being underrated here. The last two times they’ve gone to the playoffs they’ve made the Cup a finals and the conference finals and the core of those two teams is still together. Highest scoring team in the league by far and also the best goal differential in the league. They held the best record for 95% of the season until a late season funk.

Don’t see Tampa losing in the first round at all.

Maybe the Caps can help them shop for a banner?

Reactions: domaug

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I don't really consider either of the Pacific match-ups an upset either way. I like Columbus for an upset. I don't think any of the other higher seeds lose in the 1st Round.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, LAKings-Vegas is the obvious "upset" candidate but as I consider Kings to be the favorite for that series, calling it an upset is a little, eh...

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
It happened last year. Who will it be this year?

I don’t consider Los Angeles defeating Vegas to be much of an upset, even though it’s a huge one on paper.

I think the biggest upset will be Philadelphia over Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is the better team but they will be jaded in my opinion. Getting motivated after winning back to back cups isn’t easy.

Philadelphia as a city hates Pittsburgh and so I think Flyer fans and the Flyers team will be far more motivated and will be quicker to smell blood.

Flyers in 7. Kings in 5.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
With the parity, there isn't many series that would really be upsets.

Boston/TBL vs. NJ -- Devils have been playing great hockey so they should be able to put up a fight. I wouldn't bet on it, but I could see NJ pulling off an upset

VGK vs. LA -- Interesting to see how Vegas looks. They've been terrific against the Pacific all year, but they're an unknown going in.

NSH vs. COL -- Nashville should easily be able to handle COL without Johnson and Varlamov. Colorado hasn't been particularly hot either.

WSH vs. CBJ -- Blue Jackets are in the same boat as the Devils here. Terrific run to end the year that they could ride it and play spoiler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad