Who is the big upset in first round?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Vegas is a good team but they might face LA Kings 1st round. Not really an "upset" because of what Kings do in the lower playoff seeds and how they have schooled Vegas this season. However it is by rank.

2 vs 7 (or 1B vs 1WC)

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
The only possible upset for me is if the Preds lose in the first round. All the other teams are pretty even except maybe Colorado, New Jersey, and Philadelphia.

Reactions: bukwas

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
That's kind of what I thought too, like Nashville beating Chicago was talked about like a 'catastrophic upset' when in reality I remember a lot of people prognosticating that Nashville would win.

Chicago was third overall and got utterly trounced. Even if people Nashville might pull it off, I doubt anyone predicted the Hawks would get steamrolled.

Reactions: ThirdManIn

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
West
I don't see Nashville or Winnipeg being upset.

Vegas is a maybe in the sense it's a WC1 taking out the division winner. Kings played them tough. Tied head to head record. Kings +1 goal differential. No carter for 2 of those games both of which the kings lost. Kings won both games he played in. I don't think the knights want the kings.

Seedings are still to be determined. The Kings could finish anywhere from #2 to WC1.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I'm assuming the same players didn't play all 108 years. I'm talking games this season and last season.

You Lem? No Vezina curse and those stats are somewhat misleading - 2 shootout losses, 1 OT loss and 1 regulation loss. It wasn't exactly a landslide sweep and as for the players argument, CLB didn't have Panarin last season amirite

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Don't know why people are down on Vegas. How can a team get 50 wins and not be a playoff threat. Fact is they have 4 lines of decent players and that's good for long overtimes isn't it.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Devils beat Caps in game 82
Columbus loses to Nashville in game 82

Devils vs Pens
If Devils play the Pens...

Bye Pittsburgh's dreams of a threepeat.

Hoping NJ/Tampa and Boston/Toronto series happen. I think both NJ and Toronto are very capable of taking Tampa/Boston out. Would love to see both out first round.
Aka you're scared of facing the Devils. I don't wanna face them either. :laugh:

Reactions: TampaWantsTheCup

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know why people are down on Vegas. How can a team get 50 wins and not be a playoff threat. Fact is they have 4 lines of decent players and that's good for long overtimes isn't it.
Their coach has a history of winning a division and loosing in the 1st round. And what is more important that's the only play-off experience he has. So Vegas is pretty safe bet, especially against LA, Ducks or Sharks.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I think the Cali teams are scary in the playoffs.

Vegas is just an unknown quantity right now. Playoffs are a different animal.

LA was able to get in their heads a bit. But I’m still not calling the Kings the favorites in that match up. LA is also dealing with three big injuries to Iaffalo, Muzzin, and Forbort.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
That's kind of what I thought too, like Nashville beating Chicago was talked about like a 'catastrophic upset' when in reality I remember a lot of people prognosticating that Nashville would win.

I think the surprise was how Nashville beat Chicago, not that they beat Chicago. I don't think anyone expected two shutouts in Chicago to open the series, nor did anyone realistically expect a sweep.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
The Jets and SHarks MAYBE BOLTS all lose.

Every other Home Ice Team wins, IMO.

So Minnesota and One of ANAHEIM/LA will be the upsets in the first round.

And whoever plays TAMPA Possibly...

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
How can Vegas not be #1 here to be upset? This team has midnight written all over them.

THey certainly didn't play like that this season.

Sure it's a different game in the playoffs, but you know who does well in the playoffs?

Teams With Speed.
Teams with Chemistry.
Teams With a Good Balance that rolls 4 lines.
Teams that have a CInderella ring to them. Yeah, yeah Vegas is HOME but they are expantion so still Cinderella if they were to make it far.

CHeck Check Check and CHECK.

killa3312

Mar 4, 2015
Tampa definitely being underrated here. The last two times they’ve gone to the playoffs they’ve made the Cup a finals and the conference finals and the core of those two teams is still together. Highest scoring team in the league by far and also the best goal differential in the league. They held the best record for 95% of the season until a late season funk.

Don’t see Tampa losing in the first round at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad