Who is the big upset in first round?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The Flyers are a scary team. Capable of going on an absolute tear or getting swept easily. You don't know which team you're getting.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
This is the correct take. Outside of Nash-Col, probably not a series that is so lopsided where you'd say "wow!! what an upset!" ala the Wings/Ducks series in 2003

Teams are much closer nowadays. Lower seed advancing won't make anyone say "Well I never saw that one coming". Most of the series the past couple years are slightly more than a coin flip

I would say a Suter-less Wild beating the Jets would be an upset. In the East, Tampa or Pittsburgh (because of being 2x champs) losing would be an upset. Vegas/LA and SJ/Ana are pretty even, too close to pick those comfortably. In the east, Toronto over Boston (assuming they're healthy) is a slight upset and probably the same if Columbus beats Washington. If I were betting, Preds, Jets, Bolts, and Pens are the only ones I'd be somewhat comfortable with.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
The only upsets would be the: preds, pens, lighting.
The rest are all basically even series.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I could see Penguins losing to the Flyers. Penguins just don't seem to be in sync at this point.

They can win but it appears the sheen of dominating speed and good enough defense (did I mention the horseshoe that Pit's team proctologist has surgically embedded in our goalies) has worn thin.

I wouldn't bet on Flyers winning but I won't be surprised if the wheels fall off for the Pens this go around. It would be appropriate in dealing with the Flyers as that organization seems to have a chip on its shoulder concerning the Pens. I can't see the Flyers winning the cup so beating Pittsburgh may be its shining moment for the season.

Hopefully it'll be a good series without too many injuries.

I think it’s more than a chip. They were kind of built to beat the pens. That’s why they can’t beat anyone else haha.

Boston and Tampa not playing at their top as likely peaked early. A few weeks ago I would never want to play them. Now they face challenging teams that are playing well. I could see an upset there.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Gonna go with the Devils, I think they trap lightning in a bottle but then lose in the next round.

Also the Knights will bow to their King, if you really want to call them major underdogs.
Hilarious matchup though name wise. Might call it the Battle Royale or something. I’m not witty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad