Who is the big upset in first round?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa definitely being underrated here. The last two times they’ve gone to the playoffs they’ve made the Cup a finals and the conference finals and the core of those two teams is still together. Highest scoring team in the league by far and also the best goal differential in the league. They held the best record for 95% of the season until a late season funk.

Don’t see Tampa losing in the first round at all.

Tampa has been coasting since February. They tend to turn it on when they need to. Majority of times when they do that they are dominant. You can't take your foot off the gas for long in this league. Teams will make you pay. I'm happy to see fans are sleeping on us. Wait until the playoffs to see how we play. We did this the past couple times that we made the playoffs.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
The East seems ripe for upsets with how well the bubble teams are playing.

It seems like when the playoffs hit whoever is hot ends up giving real trouble to the top teams.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Their coach has a history of winning a division and loosing in the 1st round. And what is more important that's the only play-off experience he has. So Vegas is pretty safe bet, especially against LA, Ducks or Sharks.
He did that once. I wouldn't call that a history.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Depends on how you define upset... higher seed or overwhelming favorite to win. To me, upset is the second one (huge favorite losing to an underdog regardless of seeding). I don't think the Pacific really has one of those, so no real upset there. Central, Preds have to be the favorite to win the west so if they lose I'd consider it one... I think Jets are a pretty big favorite in the first round too.

In the east, I'd think Washington, Tampa, Pittsburgh, and maybe Boston to get out of the first round. I think the upset will happen in the east just because there's more teams to pick from. Granted, I don't follow the east as much so maybe those teams aren't as big of favorites as I think?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Depends on how you define upset... higher seed or overwhelming favorite to win. To me, upset is the second one (huge favorite losing to an underdog regardless of seeding). I don't think the Pacific really has one of those, so no real upset there. Central, Preds have to be the favorite to win the west so if they lose I'd consider it one... I think Jets are a pretty big favorite in the first round too.

In the east, I'd think Washington, Tampa, Pittsburgh, and maybe Boston to get out of the first round. I think the upset will happen in the east just because there's more teams to pick from. Granted, I don't follow the east as much so maybe those teams aren't as big of favorites as I think?

I feel like the West has a lot of good teams that are certainly capable of upsetting top teams. Nashville is a team that while better on paper than most teams if not all teams in the league but they are playing in a conference that has a lot of really tough teams to play against. I feel like LA and Anaheim have it in them to beat top seeds in that conference. SJ and Vegas are teams that nobody should sleep on. I think its the same in the east too. I think the compete level this year has risen compared to the past few seasons.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I feel like the West has a lot of good teams that are certainly capable of upsetting top teams. Nashville is a team that while better on paper than most teams if not all teams in the league but they are playing in a conference that has a lot of really tough teams to play against. I feel like LA and Anaheim have it in them to beat top seeds in that conference. SJ and Vegas are teams that nobody should sleep on. I think its the same in the east too. I think the compete level this year has risen compared to the past few seasons.

Oh I agree, that's why I don't think there really is much I would consider an upset. I think Nashville is a clear step above everyone and the Jets a half step above the others. Minnesota is missing Suter, which makes the gap more... so I'd consider it an upset. In the east, Pittsburgh is a 2x defending champion... until they're beaten I expect them to win. Tampa is absolutely loaded, I don't know how healthy Boston is but they have a good mix of vets and youth when healthy, and Washington always makes it to Pittsburgh. But I'm reactivating cable this week just because there are going to be so many good series early this year

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Careful with that smugness. You what they say about jinxes...
Not even being smug, there is a big gaping hole in Bob when he plays the Penguins. Thought that was well established? If we play eachother in round 1 i'm not going to say who will win and who will lose, i'll let hockey play that part out. Pens could easily lose, but Bob is bad against us.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Tampa regardless of who they play. If they lose to TOR I don't even know if you should consider it an upset.

Tampa losing to anyone in the 1st round is an upset. The season would be a colossal disappointment. On paper, this is an incredibly deep roster, but their form is nowhere near their capabilities right now. Time is running out for them to turn it around, but even in their current form, I believe they should get past the 1st round, regardless.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't think any of the Pacific matchups can be considered upsets. Ducks, Kings, Sharks and Vegas are all good teams and if Vegas loses to any of them it's hardly a shocker as they have no playoff experience as a group, and needless to say the cali teams are used to beating each other.

So in the West i guess Jets-Wild now that Suter is out would be a real upset, as well as Blues/Avs beating Preds, but i can't see either happening with all the injuries. Key players will be out for the lower seeds no matter what.

Also in the East i dont know if the Caps losing would be that big of a deal. I mean they have identical record to the Leafs who are 3rd in their division and they will have less than 10 pts more than their opponent so it's not like they're this big powerhouse this year.

Tampa losing would be the biggest upset but the fact that a lot of people are thinking it could happen makes me think it won't.

I guess the closest to a "Nashville feel" i get is with Columbus. I could see them beating Pittsburgh. But then again the question is would that even be an upset, i mean they finish with almost the same amount of pts.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The Jets.

Tampa is a possibility as well, but if they face the Leafs in the 1st rd, will it really be considered an upset? I'm Sure they will be favored in the series but the Leafs and Lightning are really even teams

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
I think it's Tampa in the case they play vs Leafs. Bruins I think will defeat Leafs but Tampa I am not entirely sold on.

Apart from that, I could see SJS losing to Kings for example but that's not exactly an upset.
The Leafs would be more likely to be swept than Tampa. In fact, if the Leafs play Tampa, the Leafs will be lucky to win one game. Either way, the Leafs are likely to struggle against either Tampa or Boston.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Toronto is a really good team, but I think Tampa Bay would be the favourite here based on experience. This is my choice though.
Otherwise, Avalanche (still hoping for them) toppling Nashville would be...huge. Like J.R. Lind losing interest in wrestling huge.
The Leafs are chokers in the playoffs and they overworked Andersen, again.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Hopefully Tampa. But with the Leafs being a 103 point team, it isn't like they are massive underdogs. I would say that Pittsburgh getting bounced by Philly/Jersey/Columbus in the first round seems both possible and a monumental upset at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad