Who is Matthew Tkachuk and what will he become?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Depending on how good of an offensive player he can become, somewhere between prime Marchand and Corey Perry probably closer to Marchand.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't get the Marchand comparison at all. Aside from being gritty / pest type players there really isn't much that is similar.

Marchand's game is all about speed and skill, Tkachuk is a pretty poor skater but is great along the boards and creating behind the net.

Corey Perry is a decent comparison, but Tkachuk is more of a playmaker. He's kind of forsberg esque in his puck protection and passion ability.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
lmao you make Matty Takchuk sound like John Scott. Kid can play, and has played very well against LA. Taking him off the ice for 5 minutes might not be a bad tradeoff for Los Angeles consider how he's played against them so far in his career.
MacDermid is gonna do just that, unless Tkachuk jumps on the bench every time MACD goes for that ass

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
N
Depending on how good of an offensive player he can become, somewhere between prime Marchand and Corey Perry probably closer to Marchand.

I think Matt Tkachuk is probably closer to his ceiling than most fans think.

Seems like lots of second generation NHLers come into the draft/NHL much better prepared than other kids.

They have had access to great training/coaching and help with skill development since a very early age.
As such I think there usually isn't going to be as much room for growth as other kids.

You look at guys like Reinhart brothers, Gagner, Paul Stastny. They all were showing what they were capable of im their first couple of NHL seasons.

Maybe someone can think of a few sons of NHLers that were late bloomers that really broke out a little later in their careers but I cant think of any myself.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Skill wise sure, probably has plateau'd.

But there's no reason to think he can't gain 15-20 pounds and improve his skating. He is still built like a teenager. If he can improve his skating and size that is just going to make his current skills that much more effective. He plays like a power forward but he's just not that big.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Skill wise sure, probably has plateau'd.

But there's no reason to think he can't gain 15-20 pounds and improve his skating. He is still built like a teenager. If he can improve his skating and size that is just going to make his current skills that much more effective. He plays like a power forward but he's just not that big.

With some tips from his father I'm sure he could do it in a weekend.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
what will he become?

Just about every fanbase outside of Calgary hates his guts already due to his chippy attitude, he drives opposing players crazy (Doughty,Simmons and Perry to name a few)

He's 6'2, 205 lbs at 19 yrs old so size isn't a problem and has some nice skill, but what is he going forward?

A) a rat 2nd-3rd liner
B) feared power forward like his dad
C) a little bit of both
Matthew Tkachuk is a hockey player.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Theres no way tkachuk's shot has peaked, he miss some really good chances with muffins.
I still love the dirty player narrative rival fans spew, he got suspended twice for unsportsmanlike conduct, not reckless injury causing plays, but by all means, he just another matt cooke

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just a note, now on PP1, 3 points in 3 games playing on the first unit.
The guy's being given the chance to shine offensively; and he's running with it. This again is all while playing as Calgary's top shutdown winger on a good shutdown line.

Really would love to see him finally get to play with Gaudreau some time.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
What a player. Awesome in all 3 zones. At 20 years old, he already contributes so much. The way he gets under the skin of the opposition, the grit, the heart, all backed up with his pretty dang good offensive production.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
his offense isn't amazing but his possession/defense is very impressive. once the offense comes I could see a playmaking Corey Perry type peak

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
N

Seems like lots of second generation NHLers come into the draft/NHL much better prepared than other kids.

They have had access to great training/coaching and help with skill development since a very early age.
As such I think there usually isn't going to be as much room for growth as other kids.

You look at guys like Reinhart brothers, Gagner, Paul Stastny. They all were showing what they were capable of im their first couple of NHL seasons.

Maybe someone can think of a few sons of NHLers that were late bloomers that really broke out a little later in their careers but I cant think of any myself.

Typically players with Tkachuk 's style of play take longer to develop. Tkachuk will really benefit from getting bigger and stronger. There's no reason why he can't continue to improve.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
his offense isn't amazing but his possession/defense is very impressive. once the offense comes I could see a playmaking Corey Perry type peak

Disagree about his offense. The guy has played most of his career with 2nd/3rd liners; while Backs and Fro are good players, there no where near Matt's offensive talent.

If our coach wasn't such a dumbass and would try Tkachuk with Gaudreau and Mony, Chucky would easily reach 60-70 points. He finally got put on the first PP unit where he should have been 80 games ago and has made it immediately better.

Tkachuk should be the next Flames captain, he is the heart of the team and has single handily brought us out of the depths of losing many games and we end up winning them because of his play. He is super underrated because he doesn't put up the numbers Laine/Matthews/Boeser/etc. but he is just a big a game changer as any of them.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
N

So Tkachuk is close to his ceiling because other sons of NHLers suck?

That only makes sense from an Oiler fan....I guess

Reactions: FlamerForLife

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Not that I think it is comparable.

But, didn't Brett Hull not make the NHL full-time until he was 23?

I do think people are overstating Tkachuk's offensive ability/overall impact in this thread (He isn't on par with Matthews or Laine), but that's par the course for any thread about a promising young player here.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not that I think it is comparable.

But, didn't Brett Hull not make the NHL full-time until he was 23?

I do think people are overstating Tkachuk's offensive ability/overall impact in this thread (He isn't on par with Matthews or Laine), but that's par the course for any thread about a promising young player here.

No he certainly isn’t in the same tier as guys who scored 30-40 goals in their rookie seasons, but he’s also not a scrub that’ll top out at a 50 point player either.

Also to say he doesn’t have offensive impact on a game, is to say you haven’t watched him play in two years.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

He's close to his ceiling because he vastly outproduced Player/Coach's Son Draisaitl as a U20 without ever playing PP1 or with Taylor Hall or Connor McDavid while being superior in every other aspect, tangible or otherwise.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
N

Filip Forsberg, son of Peter Forsberg, took a few years to hit his stride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad