Who is Matthew Tkachuk and what will he become?

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Not that I think it is comparable.

But, didn't Brett Hull not make the NHL full-time until he was 23?

I do think people are overstating Tkachuk's offensive ability/overall impact in this thread (He isn't on par with Matthews or Laine), but that's par the course for any thread about a promising young player here.

Matthews is one thing, but i think you will be hard-pressed to find one Flames fan who would trade Tkachuk for Laine straight up.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Matthews is one thing, but i think you will be hard-pressed to find one Flames fan who would trade Tkachuk for Laine straight up.
Uhhh... the same laine who can instantly play on our 1st line rw, right hand shot and absolutely lethal one timer? JG with laine would be a fantastic combo. If anything most flames fans will take it and run (including this 1) Bennett can take 2nd line lw no problem

Reactions: Woodtkachuk

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Laine is exactly the piece that this teams needs. In a vacuum I would still probably do it but as the Flames are now it's a complete no brainer.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He's the next Claude Lemieux, but more talented. Easy to hate but is also a very good hockey player at the same time.

Tkachuk is an awesome hockey player, but the one worry I'd have as a fan is that he'll keep getting suspended and for longer as he piles up suspensions. On his ELC, a few games here and there don't matter much compared to his contribution, but when paid as a first liner, missing 10 games per season has a real impact on the team.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Tkachuk is an awesome hockey player, but the one worry I'd have as a fan is that he'll keep getting suspended and for longer as he piles up suspensions. On his ELC, a few games here and there don't matter much compared to his contribution, but when paid as a first liner, missing 10 games per season has a real impact on the team.

I agree, like he also has huge potential to hit the NHL record for longest suspension.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I agree, like he also has huge potential to hit the NHL record for longest suspension.

He's not done anything to suggest he'll get Cooke/Torres style suspensions, but if he keeps doing the small stupid things that cross the line, those routing 1-2 game suspensions will become 3-5 game suspensions.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You think Paul Stastny sucks?

That makes sense coming from a Flame fan.....I guess.

No, it was an Oiler fan that said Tkachuk hit his ceiling with some stupid example of other NHLer's sons

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011

What on Earth makes you say this? I think Tkachuk is awesome. I think he actually brings the compete level of the Flames up. I think he even sometimes wills this team into a battle when they come out lethargic. He is such a smart player, and he is such a catalyst for this team.

With that being said, I would think there would be ZERO Flames fans who wouldn't make that trade, except for the ones that only follow the Flames and have no idea who Laine is. I love Tkachuk and what he brings to the team, but Laine is an exceptional talent. Why on earth do you think you would be hard pressed to find a Flames' fan who would make that trade? As you can tell by the responses before mine, it seems fairly easy to find fans that would make that trade all day long.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What on Earth makes you say this? I think Tkachuk is awesome. I think he actually brings the compete level of the Flames up. I think he even sometimes wills this team into a battle when they come out lethargic. He is such a smart player, and he is such a catalyst for this team.

With that being said, I would think there would be ZERO Flames fans who wouldn't make that trade, except for the ones that only follow the Flames and have no idea who Laine is. I love Tkachuk and what he brings to the team, but Laine is an exceptional talent. Why on earth do you think you would be hard pressed to find a Flames' fan who would make that trade? As you can tell by the responses before mine, it seems fairly easy to find fans that would make that trade all day long.

I think that as well, and I think when he brings his play back to the other side of the edge, he can be a real leader-by-example type, like Dustin Brown was for much of his career--can score, can hit, can pour out energy. Those are the guys you go to battle for...once they stop spearing players that are on the other side of the barriers ;)

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Laine plus Gaudreau would be amazing to watch. I'd throw in a a substantial plus to make that deal. Laine is the exact thing the Flames are missing, a large #1 RW who can score and generate offence.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Tkachuk vs Doughty tomorrow

dgbg.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad