Who is Matthew Tkachuk and what will he become?

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
what will he become?

Just about every fanbase outside of Calgary hates his guts already due to his chippy attitude, he drives opposing players crazy (Doughty,Simmons and Perry to name a few)

He's 6'2, 205 lbs at 19 yrs old so size isn't a problem and has some nice skill, but what is he going forward?

A) a rat 2nd-3rd liner
B) feared power forward like his dad
C) a little bit of both

Reactions: Sk8M8

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Most likely a more constant Correy perry although i do not think he ever puts up 50 goals like perry did. Should have a few 60 point seasons(low 60's) and hover around 50-55 points for the rest. Guys going to be a staple on our second line for the next 10+ years

Reactions: SI90

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
As long as he keeps destroying the Kings I'm a fan

He will be an elite first line wing. He's going to be feared due to the fact that he's a really good player, not because he is a "power forward like his dad". The best players are the most feared. Crosby and McDavid are the two most feared players in the league. I think Tkachuk will be a pretty feared elite two-way forward; his underlying numbers last year were absolutely ridiculous.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The most underrated player from the 2016 draft. He's a beast, also I love how he chews on his mouth guard during the game :laugh: hope he knows it is no good outside his mouth, he's gonna lose some teeth.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd say it's hard not to like him but...

Seriously though, he's a legit good player with our without his gritty game.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think high end, 30-30 first line who's also a great pest, Marchand-like, not quite powerful and aggressive enough to be a true power forward imo. But low end, he's at the very least a 40-50 pt pest. Take away the grit and ratty stuff, and you still have a damn good player on your hands, the kids got skill, and crazy IQ.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Most likely a more constant Correy perry although i do not think he ever puts up 50 goals like perry did. Should have a few 60 point seasons(low 60's) and hover around 50-55 points for the rest. Guys going to be a staple on our second line for the next 10+ years
If you're a Flames fan I think you sign up for that type of production all day!

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
going to be one of the best in the game at his position

also one of the most entertaining players in the league (atm my favorite player to watch)

Reactions: Steven

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I think he will be a top tier 1st liner.

I actually really like his game. I just wish he would knock it off with the slew-foots. I don't think he's done that at all this year so he's headed in the right direction.

He's got that fire in him. His stuff with Doughty last year was pretty fun to watch.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think he will be a top tier 1st liner.

I actually really like his game. I just wish he would knock it off with the slew-foots. I don't think he's done that at all this year so he's headed in the right direction.

He's got that fire in him. His stuff with Doughty last year was pretty fun to watch.

He's definitely calmed in on the cheap shots and little hacks and slashes here and there, which is good. He's stuck mostly to facewashing and chirping so far. He's gotta have some fire chirps, he had Getzlaf swinging haymakers over the ref's the other night and Doughty was literally standing and yelling at the top of his lungs in the penalty box last night.

The kid knows how to piss people off, and since he's a hell of player, he's on the ice with top guys and knows how to get under their skin.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I am a big fan of Matthew Tkachuk for the way he plays. Getting under one's skin is part of the game. Some of the most memorable players throughout history have been pesky agitators. And he's not bad of a scorer too.

Mar 6, 2012
I think he'll be a star player in this league, but not a superstar player. He's gonna have a long good career. 1st liner.

Isn't his younger brother supposed to be even better?

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Perry 2.0... I think he looks up to him.

I like Tkachuk... chippy but not dirty. I is more composed/disciplined than someone like Max Jones for instance.

I think he will be a career first liner for sure.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Already a PPG start to the season as a 19 year old ""2nd"" liner. He is a beauty and a beast. I dream of a Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland line.

I dream of a GAUDREAU - MONAHAN - TKACHUK line... in fact, despite how good the 3M line is, WHY THE HELL IS MT NOT PLAYING ON THE TOP LINE????? Drives me nuts. He would be a perfect fit and the Flames struggle to find a consistent linemate for Johnny Hockey and Monahan. Ferland or Jagr or Hathaway would still be a good fit for Backlund and Frolik.

Reactions: Johnnybegood13

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I dream of a GAUDREAU - MONAHAN - TKACHUK line... in fact, despite how good the 3M line is, WHY THE HELL IS MT NOT PLAYING ON THE TOP LINE????? Drives me nuts. He would be a perfect fit and the Flames struggle to find a consistent linemate for Johnny Hockey and Monahan. Ferland or Jagr or Hathaway would still be a good fit for Backlund and Frolik.

Maybe to have better balanced scoring in the lineup? Just cause he isn't on the first line doesn't mean he is not a first line player... last year Rakell and Perry were on the "third" line but that was to have balanced scoring throughout the lineup.

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Yup love this player. He's going to be great just like his dad was. I'm glad the Flames have him. As others have said he is definitely a Corey Perry 2.0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->