Speculation: Who gets fired now?

Who gets fired now that TOR is eliminated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Keefe 100%.

Dubas im 50/50 on. I think you can make a decent case for him and against him. Maybe wouldnt be the worst thing to get a new perspective and process.
I don't see how you can make an argument for Dubas at all.

Even if you think every single trade he's made is a massive win that no other GM could possibly make, the results still speak for themselves. 1 playoff rd win in 5 seasons? Losing in a play-in series? Losing in the 1st rd after playing in the easiest division in 60 years? Losing to a f***ing zamboni driver?

Everyone loves to talk about how great of a regular season team this is, but even then all they have to show it is a pathetic Canadian division banner.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
For me it's fire Shanahan, Dubas and Keefe.

It's definitely fire Dubas and Keefe for me. So then I think, why keep Shanny? Rookie President that signed off on all this.

Guys it's ok. Better management than them have been fired.
Dale Tallon builds a cup winner... fired. Dean Lombardi, builds a 2x cup winner, flew too close to the sun, fired. Stan Bowman, even before the incident Hawks fans wanted him gone. Jim Rutherford.... ya'll get my point.

If these champions can be fired, Dubas and his abysmal record certainly can be too

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I feel as though all three return if it's believed that expectations were met (winning a round) or that all three have to go if it's believed that bowing out to an underdog is unacceptable. I'd have the most confidence in a Shanahan return based primarily on the term left on his contract. I'm not certain of Dubas and Keefe experiencing different fates with the team.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I’m oddly not super upset. Disappointed for sure but I’m not empty like last couple series. Looking forward to seeing some changes. Keefe and Dubas I’d like gone. Then start chatting with players seeing what moves can be made. Maybe Mathews wants to move elsewhere like Tkuchuk so sign see what out there. Same with Mathews. If Tavares seems open to something though unlikely look at whatever moves makes sense. Leave nothing off the table.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
In the end guys, the Cap has barely budged since we signed our core. No one expected that to happen. A lot of this is bad luck.

Think of it this way, once our core's contract is up, they'll probably get signed for roughly the same amount they have now (besides Tavares). Plus, the cap will increase

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Dubas will get one more coach. Unless he tells MLSE he doesn't want to make a coaching change then they'll fire them both.

Dubas inherited Babcock. It's pretty common for a GM to get two coaches.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
In the end guys, the Cap has barely budged since we signed our core. No one expected that to happen. A lot of this is bad luck.

Think of it this way, once our core's contract is up, they'll probably get signed for roughly the same amount they have now (besides Tavares). Plus, the cap will increase
On one hand yea you're right, but on the other the cap not going up affects every single team equally.

Matthews and Marner were paid more than every single comparable. That's not bad luck, that's pure incompetence

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

The cap moving or staying flat doesn't change the fact that when those contracts were signed, they were awful.

There's so many ways this can be shown using simple economic metrics and statistics, and you won't want to see how bad it is after the season and playoffs Matthews' just farted out.

So I'd just stop there if I was you.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I remember earlier this season people were saying it was a mistake to not re-sign Dubas mid season.

Reactions: Mr. Fancy Pants

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
On one hand yea you're right, but on the other the cap not going up affects every single team equally.

Matthews and Marner were paid more than every single comparable. That's not bad luck, that's pure incompetence

The cap moving or staying flat doesn't change the fact that when those contracts were signed, they were awful.

There's so many ways this can be shown using simple economic metrics and statistics, and you won't want to see how bad it is after the season and playoffs Matthews' just farted out.

So I'd just stop there if I was you.
For sure. However, due to their underwhelming outcomes, and once their contracts expire, they are unlikely to receive a salary raise. We could have them at low value and sign the supporting cast they truly need. Plus Tavares will significantly be lowered.

We really could have a lot of cap room with the same core in the next couple years.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Dubas will get one more coach. Unless he tells MLSE he doesn't want to make a coaching change then they'll fire them both.

Common? Based on what? JFJ inherited Quinn and hired Maurice. Fletcher inherited Maurice and hired Wilson. Burke inherited Wilson and hired Carlyle. Nonis inherited Carlyle and he pseudo hired Horachek. Shanny hired Babcock. Lou inherited Babcock.

Literally the last 5 GMs got less years with the leafs and only got to hire 1 coach. Dubas has gotten 5 years, he doesn’t deserve another shot to stick around and pick the next coach.

Last edited:

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
For sure. However, due to their underwhelming outcomes, and once their contracts expire, they are unlikely to receive a salary raise. We could have them at low value and sign the supporting cast they truly need. Plus Tavares will significantly be lowered.

We really could have a lot of cap room with the same core in the next couple years.
Theres no doubt in my mind they get raises. Teams unfortunately pay dearly for regular season points. However it never translates to playoff success.

Chicago didn't win anything after Toews & Kane got their 3rd contracts. LA didn't win anything after Kopitar & Doughty got their 3rd contracts.

Dubas already overpaid M&M on their 2nd contracts and didn't win anything, no way that changes on their 3rd.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

He had two coaches. He kept the failed coach after Montreal. That's two right there so it should be the end of him.

HofT

Sep 4, 2008
Theres no doubt in my mind they get raises. Teams unfortunately pay dearly for regular season points. However it never translates to playoff success.

Chicago didn't win anything after Toews & Kane got their 3rd contracts. LA didn't win anything after Kopitar & Doughty got their 3rd contracts.

Dubas already overpaid M&M on their 2nd contracts and didn't win anything, no way that changes on their 3rd.
I mean, they could join a non-winning team but playoffs teams are on tight budgets. If any of the core want to go to Colombus like Gaudreau did then who really cares, let them walk.

And Toews/Kane, Kopitar/Doughty had already won though.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Keefes post fame was cringe. Didn't talk to his team after the loss, then proceeded to overly praise Panthers for taking out the best team "ever"(Boston)...getting elite goaltending, a too offensive team in the season who in the playoffs that learned great defense.... Lol... Leafs had a great season, a the that could've won the cup, just needed a bounce or two this series..but there are 7 teams left that will all be disappointed and lose.

Lol....golden stuff. There you have it.. Just another year of bad luck.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
rumour has it Shanny didn't want to acquire pieces that play with a big edge; he's apparently not a fan of that. its why Dubas and him have been fighting this season. There's also a rumour floating around that Dubas likely becomes president

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Keefe is for sure gone

Dubas is probably gone but he will be tough to replace. Only guy outside of Toronto I think has the pedigree to run this team is Brad Treliving and apparently the Flames are blocking him from being interviewed until late June

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad