Who do you want to be head coach next season?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
It that happens, good luck to you.

Just remember that before he was handed the keys to the Blackhawks ferrari, he had 11 years worth of results on par with Bruce Boudreau. A single WCF appearance and multiple 2nd and 1st round exits, before being fired twice. When the Blackhawks hired him, it wasn't even for a HC position... but they could, cause not one other team wanted anything to do with him as an HC.

He's a great coach if you have a team ready to win, filled with finished products, that needs to taken over the hump. If you have a flawed-but-talented roster, get ready to watch him throw **** at the wall and pray as a coaching strategy.

I saw this on the mains in regards to Q. Don't really know much about him as a coach other than the Hawks cup wins (obviously), but is there good justification to stay away from him? I don't really want another coach who throws shit at a blender and can't develop talent.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Need to see who gets the axe this spring, so right now I'm in the wait and see ABT (anyone but Todd) camp.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Need to see who gets the axe this spring, so right now I'm in the wait and see ABT (anyone but Todd) camp.
But what about Todd Nelson??

Seriously, I like Nelson and would be stoked if he were coach again. I'm okay with trying Mr. McLellan again though. I think there are some weird stuff going on with players this season, kind of like McDavid's rookie year, although not as bad.

Reactions: MessierII

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I'm in agreement with Quennville, Trotz, Nelson. Gonna throw Krueger out there even though its not gonna happen. (Unless Bob gives him the go ahead to Skype MacT himself.)

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Just to throw some other names out there, the NHLPA just did their annual poll and they asked which assistant coach should be the next head coach. The top 5 results were:

1) DJ Smith (Toronto) - 8.3%
2) Todd Reirden (Washington) - 7.4%
3) Ulf Samuelsson (Chicago) - 5.1%
4) Steve Ott (St. Louis) - 5.1%
5) Lindy Ruff (New York) - 4.2%

That same NHLPA polls had Quennville voted as the coach most players would like to play for. Having a hard time imagining the Hawks firing him but I guess you never know?

Oops, I see you mentioned this as well, didn't read far enough down the thread...

Reactions: PulYou

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Meh. I'm fine with McLellan. Need a new GM and maybe some new assistants to change up the special teams.

Terrified that we're going to turf McLellan and go with Paul Coffey.

Also have no interest in a retread with Nelson. For a guy who is supposed to develop NHLers he sure hasn't done much of that in his career.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
As long as the coach:
1) fits the system to his players;
2) adjusts in-game;
3) isn't so stubborn it hurts; and
4) understands how to develop blue chip prospects.

McLellan and co. suck at all four of those.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Quennville, looks intimadating with that handlebar mustache.circa 1900.... Definitely not Sutter.. Don't like that boring type of defensive hockey.

Reactions: PulYou

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Hilarious how we hate a guy like McLellan so much that we think he's a worse coach than MacT.

Does that mean MacT is better than we thought he was, or is TMac one of the worst coaches in Oilers history on Eakins level?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Meh. I'm fine with McLellan. Need a new GM and maybe some new assistants to change up the special teams.

The Oilers can learn a lot from watching Buffalo this season. They canned a veteran coach for a rookie who is even worse. They are probably stuck with Housley for at least another year now.

It was good to hear Nicholson on Saturday say he believes in only making a change if it's an improvement. That should eliminate Coffey from consideration.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers can learn a lot from watching Buffalo this season. They canned a veteran coach for a rookie who is even worse. They are probably stuck with Housley for at least another year now.

It was good to hear Nicholson on Saturday say he believes in only making a change if it's an improvement. That should eliminate Coffey from consideration.

I don't trust a single person in management or higher to know what an improvement is honestly. There is something shady with how the whole Coffey hiring has shaken down with his unspecified role. They're lining him up for either GM or head coach imo.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Also have no interest in a retread with Nelson. For a guy who is supposed to develop NHLers he sure hasn't done much of that in his career.

I'm not super gung ho for Nelson, but I don't think that's completely accurate.

Mantha, Nosek and Bertuzzi are looking pretty good. Jensen, Frk and Turgeon are getting some time too.

Obviously guys like Khaira, Pitlick, Davidson and Oesterle spent quite a bit of time with him too.

Reactions: Aerrol

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don't trust a single person in management or higher to know what an improvement is honestly. There is something shady with how the whole Coffey hiring has shaken down with his unspecified role. They're lining him up for either GM or head coach imo.
If there's one organization that would give the GM or coach position to someone with no experience it's this one.

Nicholson said Coffey is "in-and-out" and his future role will be evaluated after the season.

"Expect the unexpected." - Kevin Lowe

There's a great opportunity this offseason to get things back on track. They better not blow it because of the OBC.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not super gung ho for Nelson, but I don't think that's completely accurate.

Mantha, Nosek and Bertuzzi are looking pretty good. Jensen, Frk and Turgeon are getting some time too.

Obviously guys like Khaira, Pitlick, Davidson and Oesterle spent quite a bit of time with him too.

Lets be honest though, with the exception of Mantha, who was a first round pick and an exceptionally dynamic junior scorer, there isn't much to write home about in that list. Bunch of bottom 6 guys and fringe NHLers. I guess Tyler Bertuzzi has put up some decent numbers this year.

Now of course it's easy, and probably mostly accurate, to argue that it's tough to develop NHLers when you don't get the horses from your amateur scouting staff. I've just never been impressed with Nelson's ability to really help grow prospects at the AHL level. I remember bringing it up when he was still the head coach of our AHL team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Katz is not entirely thrilled with this season (lol), not only because of underperforming but because no playoff revenue.

In his frustration I think he sat down with Coffey to get his opinion on what's wrong, was impressed with how Coffey laid it out, and decided Coffey needed to be hired and wasn't going to take no for an answer, lol.

Not sure though if Coffy actually has ambitions to coach, I'm sure he's seen what happened to Mac T.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I think Katz is not entirely thrilled with this season (lol), not only because of underperforming but because no playoff revenue.
Based on the past 10 year, I disagree that Katz cares about playoff revenue. He has shown no desire to make the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Based on the past 10 year, I disagree that Katz cares about playoff revenue. He has shown no desire to make the playoffs.

He was preoccupied with getting the arena build before, I suspect these days the leash is not as long.

Before it was all gravy, sure rack up all those no.1 overalls for the new arena.

Well the new arena is here. And it's 2018. Where are the playoff Oilers?

I think he solicited advice from Coffey, Coffey blew his socks off with his blunt honesty (Coff is like that) and Darryl insisted he take a job and wasn't going to take no for an answer. Chia and Todd sensing their dumb asses are both on thin ice did not protest.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
1 Todd Nelson
2 Todd Nelson
3 Todd Nelson

Look at his results in 40 games with our broken ahl team they tried to sell as NHL level. Read his recent interview. Hire Nelly.

Never sign a coach to more than a 3 year gig.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm not ready to blame the entire season on Tmac and I don't think he deserves to be fired without atleast another half season with an actual NHL defence. That being said if there's a candidate out there who's definately better, why he hell wouldn't we swap him

Now is there a candidate that fits that bill? Not many, I'd swap him only for like a proven Cup winner like Quenneville but definately not for any AHL coaching prospects like Nelson or whoever the next Dallas Eakins or Glen Gulatzens are..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad