Who do you want to be head coach next season?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Figured this deserved it's own thread. A lot of people want to see McLellan go (and I think they're justified), but if he does, who should come in and replace him?

Do you want McLellan back? Nelson? Someone else from the AHL? Sutter? Maybe Quenneville if he's available? Trotz if the Caps don't bring him back?

Let's try to stick to realistic suggestions. It's not like we're going to get Laviolette or Sullivan.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Just to throw some other names out there, the NHLPA just did their annual poll and they asked which assistant coach should be the next head coach. The top 5 results were:

1) DJ Smith (Toronto) - 8.3%
2) Todd Reirden (Washington) - 7.4%
3) Ulf Samuelsson (Chicago) - 5.1%
4) Steve Ott (St. Louis) - 5.1%
5) Lindy Ruff (New York) - 4.2%

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Just to throw some other names out there, the NHLPA just did their annual poll and they asked which assistant coach should be the next head coach. The top 5 results were:

Mehhhhh.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Neat, I've never head of this poll before. Of the list, the only one I know and would be somewhat happy with would be Ulf Samuelsson. That could be a cool dark-horse pick. Good org, I somewhat recall hearing players speak highly of him.

Otherwise, my number 1 would be Quenneville if he gets fired, followed by Nelson and then Trotz if he gets fired. Ruff I guess would be an okay desperation choice, but to throw out a off-the wall suggestion, I think Ron Wilson might be able to do something with this team if he's still up to NHL coaching. He didn't have a lot to work with on the Leafs.

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Nelson, Oates or Trotz.

Very excited for a new coach either way.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
From the currently employed NHL coaches who may be unemployed in a few weeks:

Vigneault or Trotz. Quinnville would be a nice get, but I fear he may take an extended vacation from coaching if Chicago let's him go. I'd prefer either one but am not sure which one I'd prefer over the other.

From the unemployed pile:

Daryl Sutter. I don't buy into the "he loses the room quickly/players tune him out" stuff when you look at his coaching resume. He stepped down from coaching the Blackhawks for family reasons (to be at home with his son who has Down Syndrome) and stepped down from the Flames HC duties to focus on the GM role, which he held until late in 2010. The two jobs he was fired from was San Jose after 5 full seasons and 24 games into his 6th and LA after 5 1/2 seasons (one "full" season was lockout shortened) which as we all know saw 2 cups and a conference finals loss. This is a bit of an older article, but it claims the average NHL coaching job lasts 2.4 years, he more than doubled that from the two jobs he was fired from. I think he'd be able to get a lot out of this roster.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...l-coach-will-be-fired-and-whether-it-matters/

From the AHL pile:

I'd be wary of Marlies coaches after the Eakins hype and what we experienced. As George W. Bush once said "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me...you can't get fooled again." I'd go with Todd Nelson. He's familiar with some of the players and the organization, but I could also see him not reciprocating the same feelings after being overlooked twice by the org for a promotion.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Coffey or Quennville (lol).

If they're not going to make much changes to the roster then the only guy IMO that can get them into the playoff is Darryl Sutter. He can make that roster work.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Neat, I've never head of this poll before. Of the list, the only one I know and would be somewhat happen with would be Ulf Samuelsson. That could be a cool dark-horse pick. Good org, I somewhat recall hearing players speak highly of him.

Otherwise, my number 1 would be Quenneville if he gets fired, followed by Nelson and then Trotz if he gets fired. Ruff I guess would be an okay desperation choice, but to throw out a off-the wall suggestion, I think Ron Wilson might be able to do something with this team if he's still up to NHL coaching. He didn't have a lot to work with on the Leafs.

Smith has been an assistant in Toronto for three seasons and a longtime OHL guy before that.

Reirden is pretty interesting to me. He started out as a head coach in Wilkes-Barre in 2008 then moved up to an assistant with Pittsburgh between 2010 and 2014. He followed that up with two years as an assistant and then two years as an associate coach(his current position) in Washington.

Quenneville would be amazing. He was actually voted as the coach the players most wanted to play for(followed by Cooper then Gallant) in that poll.

I wouldn't mind Nelson as an option after that.

I'd like to stay away from dinosaurs like Ruff, Wilson, Sutter, etc. I think the game has passed them by at this point.

Reactions: Aerrol

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Neat, I've never head of this poll before. Of the list, the only one I know and would be somewhat happy with would be Ulf Samuelsson. That could be a cool dark-horse pick. Good org, I somewhat recall hearing players speak highly of him.

Never in a million years. He's like Boudreau, Trotz and to a certain degree McLellan. Typically good for regular season, but can't figure out how to coach post season.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Nelson, Oates or Trotz.

Very excited for a new coach either way.

Can't say I'd like to see Oates coach an NHL team again. His Caps teams were ugly to watch despite some unreal talent. Wouldn't mind him as a special teams guy or permanent skills coach though.

Smith has been an assistant in Toronto for three seasons and a longtime OHL guy before that.

Reirden is pretty interesting to me. He started out as a head coach in Wilkes-Barre in 2008 then moved up to an assistant with Pittsburgh between 2010 and 2014. He followed that up with two years as an assistant and then two years as an associate coach(his current position) in Washington.

Quenneville would be amazing. He was actually voted as the coach the players most wanted to play for(followed by Cooper then Gallant) in that poll.

I wouldn't mind Nelson as an option after that.

I'd like to stay away from dinosaurs like Ruff, Wilson, Sutter, etc. I think the game has passed them by at this point.

I am very open to lesser known names like Reirden, and that's a very impressive resume. I'm on board with him as a pick.

Agree about dinosaurs generally, so I guess I'll concede Wilson probably isn't the best call. I just recall that he had some pretty wild offensive teams he managed well, so maybe he could get Jesse some confidence. Though if that's what we're after, why not Nelson?

edit: @bone lol ok as you can see here I will concede it was a bad suggestion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad