Who do you want to be head coach next season?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Coffey can't be stupid enough to walk into the bear trap that would be taking the head coach job ... could he?

Even if Coffey as head coach is the Oilers stupid plan, at least give him one year as Todd's associate coach so he can get some freaking experience, lol.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Friedman speculates Coffey could be either the new head coach or an assitassi coach. I don't buy that they would bring him in as a head coach, firstly because of the OBC optics, and secondly, that is a move that could be made right now.
Friedman speculates on Paul Coffey as Edmonton Oilers head coach. Hmm

Hey, at least Coffey has some HC experience (please ignore where exactly he was a HC). That's an upgrade over the usual OBC hires who have never done the jobs they're given :)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah Coffey made the full time associate coach with Woodcroft and co. remaining as assistants is probably what will happen.

They will then eventually fire Todd and make Coffey head coach.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Nicholson was talking upgrading the coaching, Coffey isn't an upgrade, Trotz might be though

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Staples is leaving out some info from the podcast.

Marek speculated that Katz wanted a coaching change in January after the 5-1 loss in Dallas (Gretzky and Nicholson were at the game). Friedman said he heard rumblings about this but couldn't confirm it.

Marek also said that anytime he talks to someone from the organization he's told that Katz is fuming.

Friedman was told last year by someone that the Oilers are the highest revenue team in the league because of Rogers Place.

Last edited:

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Slightly OT, but when was the last time a team had the worst PP AND PK in the league? I mean it can't be that common...

Reactions: PulYou

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Staples is leaving out some info from the podcast.

Marek speculated that Katz wanted a coaching change in January after the 5-1 loss in Dallas (Gretzky and Nicholson were at the game). Friedman said he heard rumblings about this but couldn't confirm it.

Marek also said that anytime he talks to someone from the organization he's told that Katz is fuming.

Friedman was told last year by someone that the Oilers are the highest revenue team in the league because of Rogers Place.

I get the sense something weird is going on behind the scenes.

I think Katz is very angry and Nicholson and Chia are trying to placate his anger by "giving him" the Coffey as special teams "advisor" mid-season. Maybe Gretzky stepped in and suggested this?

Katz was cool with blowing previous years because it was part of the plan (tank for elite players while the process for the arena goes on), but don't kid yourself, people like Katz don't make the money they do by just letting things slide.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2 and PulYou

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I get the sense something weird is going on behind the scenes.

I think Katz is very angry and Nicholson and Chia are trying to placate his anger by "giving him" the Coffey as special teams "advisor" mid-season.

Katz was cool with blowing previous years because it was part of the plan (tank for elite players while the process for the arena goes on), but don't kid yourself, people like Katz don't make the money they do by just letting things slide.
I wonder if the confusion around Coffey is because he was going to take over as head coach if McLellan was fired in January and that was scrapped or put on hold when no change was made. I listened to the segment and Friedman isn't sure what's going on. He really wants to know who's making the final decisions in Edmonton.

31 Thoughts: The Podcast - Sportsnet.ca

They start talking about the Oilers at 58:55.

I don't want McLellan back but there's no way Coffey can be viewed as the better change that Nicholson was talking about on Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oscar Acosta

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The thing is I think Nicholson knows he's in a pickle.

If he doesn't get the next hire right I think he knows Katz is eventually going to turn on *him* too.

So that's why he's trying to push the "we need to make the right change, not just any change" because it's probably his ass that's on the line.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I wouldnt even be opposed to mclellan if he got rid of the assistants who are running the PP and PK, but thats never happening unfortunately

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
If it is Paul Coffey I may actually change team flags. HE has almost no coaching experience and by his own admission and barely been involved in hockey since he returned

If they make Coffey head coach then there truly is no hope for this franchise.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If it is Paul Coffey I may actually change team flags. HE has almost no coaching experience and by his own admission barely been involved in hockey since he retired

[Kevin Lowe voice]Hey, but he's in the hall of fame and 2nd in all time scoring by a defenseman. He knows what it takes to win if that is ever a concern [/Kevin Lowe voice]

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Crawford or Hartley, we need a coach who can actually take generational talent and convert it to Stanley Cups.

Means nothing when that talent doesn’t have anyone to play with or have support. This team needs to bring in two top 6 wingers (without moving RNH) to balance out our offence and give Connor the support he needs.

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
coach brown.PNG coach dale.PNG coach dunlop.PNG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad