Who do you want to be head coach next season?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oh I agree. If they don't act this summer we are in a world of hurt next season.

They shouldn't do anything crazy this summer.

They should admit to the fans that they made some mistakes the last few years (we know what those are, three brutal trades in three straight summers and Lucic signing).

They should tell the fans the truth that they are as a result of those mistakes they are still rebuilding and this may take a few more years.

That's the damn truth, they should stop lying about it or blowing smoke up the fanbase's asses. And no more panic trades. Chiarelli should not be allowed to make any major trades, this either self corrects through drafting and development or he can GTFO.

If they don't have the balls to fire Chia, he should at minimum be stripped of the President of Hockey Ops title and any major trade should have to be cleared with that person first. No more free autonomy to do stupid things unchecked.

Fire Todd, ok but there are big issues here that remain even with him gone.

Last edited:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Kelly Buchberger
giphy.gif

Reactions: TB12 and McFuhryous

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
Vigneault or Quenneville for me. AV has got a lot out of those Ranger teams IMO.

TMac and his stubbornness are what get him his walking papers. He looks like he is completely out of ideas and refuses to adapt or try new approaches.

That said, they won't fire him......and after a slow start next season, it will be a full tire fire again for this damned franchise.

Also, the whole "replacing assistants" seems like such a chicken shit thing to do.....so I can fully see our team doing it.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Speculation is Quenneville is too stressed and is going to step away.

I'd say Sutter. Let him beat the piss out of a mostly entitled team. Our team has atrocious defence and if there's anyone who can limit goals against, it's him.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Speculation is Quenneville is too stressed and is going to step away.

I'd say Sutter. Let him beat the piss out of a mostly entitled team. Our team has atrocious defence and if there's anyone who can limit goals against, it's him.

Who on this team plays like they are entitled? Lack of effort has not been the issue this year.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Who on this team plays like they are entitled? Lack of effort has not been the issue this year.
I disagree to some extent. There have been multiple games where the effort isn't there. The whole season the PP has had no urgency. The players stand around in a stationary set up, no one is moving to create anything.

That's coaching for me.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I want the head coach to be who the new and hopefully competent GM chooses, switching coaches doesn't fix the bigger problem that is Chiarelli. I don't want any change till he is gone, you let him pick a new guy and it just extends his lifeline here and allows him to do more long term damage to the squad, not only in picks/prospects/players traded, but the contracts he commits us to which may be big money, with big term, and an NMC attached to it (which he has a penchant for giving out). A good coach can generally turn around a badly coached team inside of a couple of months, a good GM may take somewhere between 3-5 years to fix the damage of a bad GM and I'm not sure if I can handle doing rebuild 3.0, which may be necessary if Chia stays in charge.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sutter would be disgusting, I would hate to watch his garbage hockey.

It may not be pretty but he'd get them into the playoffs.

He'd also murder players if they dared to have a PK that bad.

I don't want Sutter either for stylistic reasons, but the low talent roster that Chiarelli has built is one he could probably make work moreso than other coaches.

Which is sad to say, but also likely true.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I disagree to some extent. There have been multiple games where the effort isn't there. The whole season the PP has had no urgency. The players stand around in a stationary set up, no one is moving to create anything.

That's coaching for me.

every team has games where they are flat. But I don't see a consistent lack of effort as much of an issue.

Standing around on the pp is by far more by design than a lack of effort or sense of entitlement.

For me Sutter is not what I want in a coach right now. That style of play, plodding and stifling defense is dead right now. His teams in LA often barely made the playoffs even in years they won because they would go long stretches without scoring.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
every team has games where they are flat. But I don't see a consistent lack of effort as much of an issue.

Standing around on the pp is by far more by design than a lack of effort or sense of entitlement.

For me Sutter is not what I want in a coach right now. That style of play, plodding and stifling defense is dead right now. His teams in LA often barely made the playoffs even in years they won because they would go long stretches without scoring.

This team already goes long stretches without scoring, lol, they at least under Sutter would not give up as much.

His style is grating and hard though, by year end 2/3 players zone out of it, Kings won 2 Cups and one more Conference Finals, they were absolutely gassed by the later years of the Sutter era.

But until then, he will get you into the playoffs most likely.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
This team already goes long stretches without scoring, lol, they at least under Sutter would not give up as much.

His style is grating and hard though, by year end 2/3 players zone out of it, Kings won 2 Cups and one more Conference Finals, they were absolutely gassed by the later years of the Sutter era.

But until then, he will get you into the playoffs most likely.

The issue with scoring goals has been on the pp. Their ES numbers have been fine for most of the season (they aretop 10 in 5vs 5 g/gm). Their pp is where they are horrid. But they are still on pace for 231 goals this year. Prorating the first year here are the goal totals for Sutter with the Kings: 2011-2012--188, 2012-2013 --223 , 2013-2104---198, 2014-2015---218, 2015-2016---223, 2016-2017---199.

At 5 vs 5 the Oilers have already scored more goals than the Kings did in 4 of the 6 season Sutter ran the show.

Those were teams with a lot of talent up front as well as Drew Doughty playing almost half the game.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The issue with scoring goals has been on the pp. Their ES numbers have been fine for most of the season (they aretop 10 in 5vs 5 g/gm). Their pp is where they are horrid. But they are still on pace for 231 goals this year. Prorating the first year here are the goal totals for Sutter with the Kings: 2011-2012--188, 2012-2013 --223 , 2013-2104---198, 2014-2015---218, 2015-2016---223, 2016-2017---199.

At 5 vs 5 the Oilers have already scored more goals than the Kings did in 4 of the 6 season Sutter ran the show.

Those were teams with a lot of talent up front as well as Drew Doughty playing almost half the game.

I should hope they are decent 5 on 5 offensively, they have the best 5-on-5 one man wrecking crew at ES in no.97.

It doesn't change the fact that past 97 and 29, this team is very low on talent and creativity anyway.

Sutter would put the fear of death into these guys for blowing defensive coverage and allowing PK goals by the bush full at least.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I should hope they are decent 5 on 5 offensively, they have the best 5-on-5 one man wrecking crew at ES in no.97.

It doesn't change the fact that past 97 and 29, this team is very low on talent and creativity anyway.

Sutter would put the fear of death into these guys for blowing defensive coverage and allowing PK goals by the bush full at least.

I actually disagree that beyond those two they have little talent. They have more than Vegas does for sure and there will be more coming within the next two years. I also disagree that any coach would put the fear of god in players. That style of coaching is dead. It might work for a year but you will be back in the same spot as you are right now very soon.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
On oilers now today Stauffer and Friedman spoke about the Nicholson interview in which Friedman said something along the lines of....it sounds like they are waiting until the off-season to see if an upgrade in the coaching position presents itself. Right after that Stauffer began talking about the Barry Trotz situation where Friedman said it doesn't look as though Trotz will be brought back. I am curious if Trotzwould be considered an upgrade by Oil management. He could certainly do better than Tmac has done here.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Honestly, I'm okay with TMac staying or getting fired at this point. If they kept the same special teams staff I'd want to murder someone. We have the worst PP and worst PK in the league by a sizeable margin... with Connor Mcdavid... Let that sink in. That's a coaching issue.

I think We make the playoffs if our special teams are even average. On 5v5 stats actually look decent this year. We just are lugging a special teams anchor around this year.

It would be nice to see a more adaptable coach that isn't afraid to speak his mind. Those are my two biggest criticisms of TMac

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think Todd will allow his assistants to go anywhere. They are his guys and he's not going to have them put out on the unemployment line, he's too loyal of a person to do that.

What I could see happening is the reintroduction of a "associate coach", lol, someone new added behind the bench in that capacity (hi there, Coffey).

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I don't think Todd will allow his assistants to go anywhere. They are his guys and he's not going to have them put out on the unemployment line, he's too loyal of a person to do that.

What I could see happening is the reintroduction of a "associate coach", lol, someone new added behind the bench in that capacity (hi there, Coffey).

I agree with your assessment. In that case he needs to go with them. You can't keep those guys around and expect to hold the players accountable if you're not holding the coaches and even GM to the same standard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad