OT: Which threads blow you away? The great jersey debate

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Meh, as per usual, I rarely notice these at this point. Occasionally it'll register that I'm looking at a team's ad on their jersey or helmet and I just kinda go "oh, that's what their ad is," and then move on with my life. Kinda like the board ads, I rarely notice or care about the digital ads.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think it's minimal and barely even notice it. It probably is breaking the ice for ads all over the jerseys though. Kind of like how airlines started slowly charging for more and more things over time until we are now just used to it.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think it's minimal and barely even notice it. It probably is breaking the ice for ads all over the jerseys though. Kind of like how airlines started slowly charging for more and more things over time until we are now just used to it.
As long as its minimal like this, I am not sure I'll care. But damn, when the Habs were in town last week it was hard to not see how obnoxious their jersey ads are, and if we ever go that direction you will be able to see my seething anger from space

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
As long as its minimal like this, I am not sure I'll care. But damn, when the Habs were in town last week it was hard to not see how obnoxious their jersey ads are, and if we ever go that direction you will be able to see my seething anger from space
I'm pretty ambivalent to the whole thing. I've never been a jersey person to begin with and don't often wander into this thread, but other than the GDT, it popped up to the top so I clicked on it.

Maybe I'll have a different view if they get like some of the European leagues where ads are everywhere if that ends up distracting from watching the on-ice product.

The digital TV ads on the boards, for the most part, didn't bother me other than the ones that rolled along making it extremely distracting when watching the game. I think it was a tire one that was the worst. I barely notice them now unless it's one like that.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm pretty ambivalent to the whole thing. I've never been a jersey person to begin with and don't often wander into this thread, but other than the GDT, it popped up to the top so I clicked on it.

Maybe I'll have a different view if they get like some of the European leagues where ads are everywhere if that ends up distracting from watching the on-ice product.

The digital TV ads on the boards, for the most part, didn't bother me other than the ones that rolled along making it extremely distracting when watching the game. I think it was a tire one that was the worst. I barely notice them now unless it's one like that.

I only notice those digital ads when they glitch out. Doesn't seem to be happening as much this year, but it still happens. Honestly, I'm surprised that teams are still able to sell physical ads on boards. Seems pointless given they're just going to be covered up on broadcast.

But seething anger from you seems so out of character...
Fair, yeah I earned that

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I only notice those digital ads when they glitch out. Doesn't seem to be happening as much this year, but it still happens. Honestly, I'm surprised that teams are still able to sell physical ads on boards. Seems pointless given they're just going to be covered up on broadcast.
My brother-in-law knows the owner of a company that had physical ads on the boards at PNC for years. I don't know if they still do as I don't look closely enough at them, but when the digital ads came out, they started evaluating if it made sense or not to continue paying for the physical ads.

My guess is any loss in ad revenue gets far surpassed by the revenue from the digital ads, but who knows.

EDIT: I just looked up the companies website and it still lists the Canes as a partner in their sponsorship section so I assume the physical ads are still there.

• Wow
Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
My brother-in-law knows the owner of a company that had physical ads on the boards at PNC for years. I don't know if they still do as I don't look closely enough at them, but when the digital ads came out, they started evaluating if it made sense or not to continue paying for the physical ads.

My guess is any loss in ad revenue gets far surpassed by the revenue from the digital ads, but who knows.

EDIT: I just looked up the companies website and it still lists the Canes as a partner in their sponsorship section so I assume the physical ads are still there.
I would hope they now have tiers.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
speaking of jerseys, I really like the new Charlotte FC kit, though them working the silhouette of Pilot Mtn into it would have made it next level considering that's one of the most identifiable landmarks on the east coast

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
Great jersey made at the right time by CCM.

Canes need throwbacks full time.

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 4

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes