OT: Which threads blow you away? The great jersey debate

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Oh come the f*** on, I'm pretty sure they were even explicitly saying the new reds were dead and the OGs would be the alt this year at one point. What bullcrap. Seriously, just make the originals the home jersey again, but if you're not going to do that, at least give them to us as the alt.
Yeah, it sucks, but I also get it. They have to clear a lot of that in advance, and with Adidas scaling down and Fanatics scaling up, if the plan wasn't originally to go with the throwbacks this year, there probably wasn't enough time to pivot after they realized their mistake.

That said, the article made very strong hints that the throwbacks, or at least something based off them, will be the primary home jersey in 2025-26 when Fanatics will allow us to introduce something new.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I would have welcomed the anniversary jersey again this year, but the other reds are solid. Certainly not a New Storm like train wreck. I can handle them until the Fanatics jerseys come.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
And really, if this ends up with us having something like this full time, sign me up

1694540286095.png

Reactions: AD Skinner

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Am I the only one who liked it when they added the goddamned lace thingies to the collar? I didn't like the Red Army looking jersey but the one now is cool.

I'd also really dig the Stadium Series one being made the main.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I didn’t hate the stadium series kits but didn’t love them either. I hope they just go back to the original look next year and call it a day. Maybe add the double flag to the shoulder and maybe lose the silver stripe… those are the only tweaks I would make

Reactions: MinJaBen

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Am I the only one who liked it when they added the goddamned lace thingies to the collar? I didn't like the Red Army looking jersey but the one now is cool.

I'd also really dig the Stadium Series one being made the main.
I like the lace but I also prefer the overall white and black collar of the throwbacks more, and I do think it would be too much to throw the laces on the throwback collar.

As for the Stadium Series uniform, I loved them, but I do think they would probably need to be tweaked with smaller numbers for use in a smaller arena rather than a big stadium.
I didn’t hate the stadium series kits but didn’t love them either. I hope they just go back to the original look next year and call it a day. Maybe add the double flag to the shoulder and maybe lose the silver stripe… those are the only tweaks I would make
Honestly? Give me the collar and number styling of the throwback with the arm and waist treatment of the current reds and the shoulder treatment from the RR2.0 (double flag with no white trim or accents), color swap base red and white for the aways and I think we have an excellent look going forward. I'd even go so far as to swap the silver trim on the main logo to black to slightly simplify the brand to completely remove silver as a whole, with intention to add a special silver trimmed jersey the year after we win the Cup going forward.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Why all the hate for the silver? I've always liked it.
I don't hate it, but I do think our aesthetic does toe the line a little close to being a bit busy, with the complicated trim pattern, the modernist take on a hurricane and the flag logo with a ton of small details. In my own opinion, anything we can do to tone it down a bit can go a long way in the overall design, and I think getting rid of silver, which isn't even listed as one of our official colors, might be for the best.

This is also a big reason why I love the sublimated flag pattern over the black and red. From a distance, it keeps the visual look of the jersey clean and simple, but up close it brings out an extra level of detail. And when you have the sleeve stripes mimicking the waist, it gives a clean consistent look that, at least in my opinion, is for the better.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I've never put any stock in the arm stripes needing to match the waist stripes. And in a world where the Kachina jerseys are some of the NHL's most popular, I don't think you can accuse a few silver stripes of making things too busy. Our logo isn't any busier than many of the "classics", and I think that once you're in a 'busy' zone of the jersey you can go all out as long as you keep other areas of the jersey clean. You need some clean areas and some visual interest highlights. That's why I didn't like the phantom yoke we had in the RBK era- that was an element added to an area of the jersey that was plain and clean before. We also don't have contrasting pants like many teams with simpler jerseys do, which keeps the overall look simpler despite the louder stripe.

Personally, I find the more modern reds a little too bland. They need the full color flag stripe, the faded thing is just an embarrassing half measure. It's better than the generic practice jersey reds, but our original uniforms had lots of visual interest but were never overwhelming because they just put more interesting things in a limited set of areas while leaving the rest plain. They didn't try to add design elements in new places like down the sides or in armpits, or do wavy things around the shoulders- it was just a simple clean traditional hockey jersey design but with stripes that were a little louder and a modern font.

Visual interest is good.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I saw on the main board that the Coyotes had the #2 ranked home jersey and the Kraken had the #5 and there was a lot of hate for those two. I think both of those jerseys are fire and I would absolutely buy a home Kraken.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I saw on the main board that the Coyotes had the #2 ranked home jersey and the Kraken had the #5 and there was a lot of hate for those two. I think both of those jerseys are fire and I would absolutely buy a home Kraken.
I have still yet to see the source for that poll. And, as I said in that thread, 10k responses would be like polling everyone in the lower bowl of PNC Arena. It isn't an indication of any kind of broad belief across fanbases.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Personally, I find the more modern reds a little too bland. They need the full color flag stripe, the faded thing is just an embarrassing half measure. It's better than the generic practice jersey reds, but our original uniforms had lots of visual interest but were never overwhelming because they just put more interesting things in a limited set of areas while leaving the rest plain. They didn't try to add design elements in new places like down the sides or in armpits, or do wavy things around the shoulders- it was just a simple clean traditional hockey jersey design but with stripes that were a little louder and a modern font.
QFT. I still think the silver is a little extra but the flags more than make up for it

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I also noticed they didn't show anyone in a black jersey below the waist. Do they have something planned for the pants of the home sweaters?

Maybe they're going with the red pants left over after the switch to black pants with the red jerseys. Can't let the red pants go to waste! #Dundon -so-cheap

Reactions: Derailed75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad