Post-Game Talk: Where's the damn Jets -Blues PGT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Nic Petan is going to be a good top 6 players to the jets down the road.
Hope they hang on to him.

He 's iq and skills are there. He just need to believe and he just needs to grow into a man.
Hope he trains hard , be like m. St. Louis or D. Briere...

The vets are stepping up now. Hope they all can put it together... Altogether .

I'm tired at reading in the main board, how bad the jets are :)

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
So Pav has given up about 1/2 of a goal more than he should have these last two games. And Winnipeg media is treating him like a superstar these two games. Talk about a truck full of horse manure.

Wouldnt it be nice to have some objective media covering the Jets.

.21 is really more like 1/5.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Great game - and the Jets responded great coming out in the 3rd after the Blues handed them their biscuits in the 2nd.
The AML line was pure joy to watch, especially in the D zone.
Awesome game by Little and Wheeler, too.
Where has this PP been hiding? That was some really good sustained puck movement.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
C2u-1prUAAAevl1.jpg

C2u_e8xUkAASl0y.jpg

Forward/Defender rank in parenthesis.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Basically a super Corsi.

It adjusts for shot quality and for usage factors (linemates, linematching, coaches, schedule) at the play by play level.

Just like Corsi, you do not use it as an all-telling WAR statistic, but it does give even more information than a stat like Corsi would.

What time frame are you using?

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
C2u-1prUAAAevl1.jpg

C2u_e8xUkAASl0y.jpg

Forward/Defender rank in parenthesis.

Dano's looking pretty bad... I assume because he's playing LW. How was he last season when he mostly played RW?

Edit: also, according to this Little is a 2nd line player??? and bad defensively??? what???

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
What time frame are you using?
2016-17

Dano's looking pretty bad... I assume because he's playing LW. How was he last season when he mostly played RW?

Edit: also, according to this Little is a 2nd line player??? and bad defensively??? what???

Dano last season was a bit above Copp is this season.

No. It does not account for everything, like scoring and other factors that may lift Little up relative to those above them. XPM is not a WAR statistic, although it does drive a large percentage of WAR. It's not the whole picture, but a large part of the picture.

It does say that Little is a second line forward "in this area of the game". I also want to point out that Little is trending upwards. A month ago Little was significantly lower.

Defensively != defensive impact.

Last edited:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
2016-17

No. It does not account for everything, like scoring and other factors that may lift Little up relative to those above them. XPM is not a WAR statistic, although it does drive a large percentage of WAR. It's not the whole picture, but a large part of the picture.

It does say that Little is a second line forward "in this area of the game".

Wouldn't using the adverb "defensively good" to describe a player describe defensive impact if it was being used correctly?

i.e. to say that Little plays well defensively but his defensive impact isn't good is a contradiction

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Wouldn't using the adverb "defensively good" to describe a player describe defensive impact if it was being used correctly?

i.e. to say that Little plays well defensively but his defensive impact isn't good is a contradiction

Maybe, but it isn't.

Defensively good is typically looked at as how a player performs in defensive zone positioning and play.

Defensive impact is all the summation of the things a player does that impacts goals against. This would include things that makes a player considered defensively good by people, but wouldn't be limited to.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba is playing unreal. When he jumps in the rush sometimes I think he'd excel at forward :laugh:
I hope he stays, but if not his value has sky rocketed and is warranted.
Little is so good. I really hope we extend him soon, he is the type of guy you need when we contend.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
2016-17

Dano last season was a bit above Copp is this season.

It does say that Little is a second line forward "in this area of the game". I also want to point out that Little is trending upwards. A month ago Little was significantly lower.

What variables drag Myers down this year? Raw numbers look good this season so far.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
So Pav has given up about 1/2 of a goal more than he should have these last two games. And Winnipeg media is treating him like a superstar these two games. Talk about a truck full of horse manure.

Wouldnt it be nice to have some objective media covering the Jets.

How dare the sports media be happy with success and report that the change to the team has made that difference.
Anyone watching today's game that thinks the result is not largely due to Pavalec's play is deluding themselves.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
How dare the sports media be happy with success and report that the change to the team has made that difference.
Anyone watching today's game that thinks the result is not largely due to Pavalec's play is deluding themselves.

Pavs made big saves when it counted. He's always let in goals after a game is done one way or the other. He played well, let's see if this pushes helly. Maybe a streak can be born. Here's hoping.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

:help:

I thought the result was not largely due to Pavelec's play...

I honestly don't believe it is remotely delusional to say that a team that scores 5 and 6 goals winning isn't "largely" due to the goalie. Maybe a smidget, but honestly, the Jets just scored more goals than normal. Give this goal support to even Hutchinson who has played terrible this season and he wins more games.

I mean, I'm not complaining. The team won. Pavelec played "good enough" which is better than we have seen in a good chunk of games. I don't think he's causing the Jets to score 11 goals off of all those shots though.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012

I honestly don't believe it is remotely delusional to say that a team that scores 5 and 6 goals winning isn't "largely" due to the goalie. Maybe a smidget, but honestly, the Jets just scored more goals than normal. Give this goal support to even Hutchinson who has played terrible this season and he wins more games.

I mean, I'm not complaining. The team won. Pavelec played "good enough" which is better than we have seen in a good chunk of games. I don't think he's causing the Jets to score 11 goals off of all those shots though.

If Hutchinson played and had 25 shots in the 2nd period, the score would of not been 2-1 Jets going into the 3rd. Pavelec's great game gave the Jets confidence to win the game. If they were down 4-2 going into the 3rd, the team would of been deflated and I doubt they would of scored the three more goals in the third.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Hah!! 40 goal Marchand or Patrice flipping Bergeron compare to 3 career goal nic petan? And I'm a petan fan...

as second year pro's (NHL)

Nic Petan

28 games 1 goal, 11 assists 12 points

Brad Marchand

20 games 1 goal, 0 assists 1 point

Tyler Johnson

13 games, 3 goals, 3 assists 6 points

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Darn, looks like I picked a bad game to miss
Pavs played well?! :amazed:
Good to see the top 2 lines, plus Trouba and Buff being offensive
Laine might even be back next game :D

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
What variables drag Myers down this year? Raw numbers look good this season so far.

It goes down to the play by play level for adjusting for usage like zone starts, qoc, and qot.

If Hutchinson played and had 25 shots in the 2nd period, the score would of not been 2-1 Jets going into the 3rd. Pavelec's great game gave the Jets confidence to win the game. If they were down 4-2 going into the 3rd, the team would of been deflated and I doubt they would of scored the three more goals in the third.

That's a lot of assumptioning going on there in your hypothetical butterfly effect.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

I know all I really want is our goaltending to be relatively equal to the opposition. The other players on the ice can decide the games that way. I'll take my chances with this team going forward if we can find that balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad