Post-Game Talk: Where's the damn Jets -Blues PGT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'm trying hard here to give Maurice the benefit of the doubt, but its totally beyond me why everyone gets promoted except Petan. Makes absolutely zero sense to keep a skilled forward like that on the 4th line and promoting Staff, Copp & the rest of the non-skilled players. Can someone give me even half a reason why?

Maurice said in his post-practice interview that he is going to try to get Petan up on the Scheifele line next game.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Momentum schmomentum. Probably has more to do with desperation by the trailing team and complacency by the leading team, or something as random as a lucky bounce. Jets were down 4-1 to the Leafs going into the third earlier this year and won the game. It's ignorant to say they absolutely wouldn't have done the same against the Blues had they been down 4-2. In both games Pavelec has played the Jets needed a minimum of four goals to win. That's right around Hutch territory this year and worse than Helly. I fail to see the need to celebrate anything; seems like business as usual, nothing more, except they're scoring better. If you want to crow about something, crow about the offense.

I think you take a look at how many times a team is down by 3 goals and storms back to win. Guess what...probably a rare occurence.

If you think teams are fated to score X number of goals in the third period independent of what the score is going into the third period, then I am afraid this is not worth discussing further with you. I think your stance is completely wrong and let's just leave it at that.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
All of the people complaining about Petan's lack of ice time and not being put placed on other lines sure sound a lot like the same people who used to go on and on and on about Burmistrov and how Noel was a big meanie for not giving him more ice time and blaming him for going to the K where he made more money than he will ever make in the NHL.
Turns out Noel was right about Burmistrov. Maybe the same will be said about Petan a couple years down the line.
Petan will get more 5v5 time we he has earned it. The lack of confidence may be his trouble with 5v5 work in practice or just the fact that Maurice wants more or doesn't want to sacrifice size so moves a larger body up.

I think most of us recognize his potential. I'm not eager to just throw him in a prominent role when this is really his fist significant season. He'll eventually earn his time and opportunities.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
The recency bias is hilarious. Everyone was so happy when he was sent down. Now after a few good games people want to sign him again...

I was never happy about Pavs being sent down over Hutch.
I thought Hutch's play was smoke and mirrors from the time he started with the team.

I haven't voiced that often this season because the amount of hatred tossed around the past couple of years towards anyone who defended Pavalec was legendary. I finally realized that I wasn't going to change any minds and just let it slide for the sake of my sanity.

I sometimes poke fun at Helle but he is the real deal so I assume that when I call him a bust people realize I am joking.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
If Hutch is in net, it wouldn't surprise me if we're going into the third period down 4-2. Is the game not going to play out differently in the third? Or do you think the Jets still magically score three goals despite a completely different game situation (up 2-1 versus down 4-2)?

BTW, you want to count posts as goals now? LOL, K.

I find it bizarre we are arguing about things that never happened, like Hutch would have given up X goals in a game he wasn't involved in, are we all in Jr high here ?
Pavs played exceptional in the second , it definitely helped the cause.
Remember it's a team game.
Hutch had some awesome games against the Hawks 2 years ago, we were the only central team to sweep them at home 3x in one season, so don't think Hutch is garbage either.
Helle will bounce back, I think Hutch could as well.
I really hope that we do dismiss Flaherty in the off season.
Had this organization seen that Pavs was not starter material over a season and platooned him, we might be in a whole different situation.
I don't dislike or hate any of our goalies.
I do hate how this organization has handled them though.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nice win. Very good 1st and 3rd, and Pav had the team's back in the 2nd when the Blues were pushing.

That was more than just pushing in the 2nd. :laugh: 25 SOG, 37 SA's. That was epicly one-sided. :laugh: Pav has been only so/so in the other 5 periods he has played but he was really outstanding in that 2nd period.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pav kept us in this in the second. Good win. Nice goal by Perreault. Wait, what? That didnt go in?

What? You mean his first goal or his second one? :laugh:

The look on his face after the second robbery was priceless. Copley needs to get a still from that and have framed. May be the highlight of his career. :laugh:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I find it bizarre we are arguing about things that never happened, like Hutch would have given up X goals in a game he wasn't involved in, are we all in Jr high here ?
Pavs played exceptional in the second , it definitely helped the cause.
Remember it's a team game.
Hutch had some awesome games against the Hawks 2 years ago, we were the only central team to sweep them at home 3x in one season, so don't think Hutch is garbage either.
Helle will bounce back, I think Hutch could as well.
I really hope that we do dismiss Flaherty in the off season.
Had this organization seen that Pavs was not starter material over a season and platooned him, we might be in a whole different situation.
I don't dislike or hate any of our goalies.
I do hate how this organization has handled them though.

The point being, it's very simplistic to say, "Oh, the Jets scored 5 goals...any of our goalies would have won". A more sophisticated view would take into consideration how the game was played out and gage how important a goalie was to help he game play out as it did.

If some of you want to stick to the "Jets scored 5 goals, Hutch woulda won that game" and then start to make cumulative misleading statistics for future arguments... then geez. It's just makes me shake my head.

Anyways... moving on to the next game. I'm sure the discussion will resume once Pav helps the Jets get the much sought after three game win streak. ;)

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The point being, it's very simplistic to say, "Oh, the Jets scored 5 goals...any of our goalies would have won". A more sophisticated view would take into consideration how the game was played out and gage how important a goalie was to help he game play out as it did.

If some of you want to stick to the "Jets scored 5 goals, Hutch woulda won that game" and then start to make cumulative misleading statistics for future arguments... then geez. It's just makes me shake my head.

Anyways... moving on to the next game. I'm sure the discussion will resume once Pav helps the Jets get the much sought after three game win streak. ;)
Cheers
The goalies are polarizing figures here agreed

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
So Pav has given up about 1/2 of a goal more than he should have these last two games. And Winnipeg media is treating him like a superstar these two games. Talk about a truck full of horse manure.

Wouldnt it be nice to have some objective media covering the Jets.

Hey I'm fine with it. Despite not being phenomenal, he's spurred the team's offense or confidence enough to get a couple of badly needed wins. As long as they don't believe some of the accolades thrown around, I'm fine giving him his moment in the sun.

Naturally what we are all worried about is where this leaves our management group. Are they so dillusional that maybe they are even getting the notion that he's still half-assed good enough to sign him to an extension. Seems totally impossible until you think of all the dumb-assed stuff they have pulled related to Pavs to date.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
C2u-1prUAAAevl1.jpg

C2u_e8xUkAASl0y.jpg

Forward/Defender rank in parenthesis.

What am I reading here with the forwards? Perrault & Wheels 2nd & 3rd!!!

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think the goalie shake up was intended to get the skates back in action more than the goalies. Starting to think the problem was and is defensive play. We allowed way too many shots.

Brian Little is incredible.

Anyone else get the feeling that Copp is being pumped and shopped? Top line features... No roster spot really for him with MLA and Petan / Roslo/ Connor next year.

Well now. If it was any other team but the Jets, makes perfect sense. With DoLittle at the helm however, may be just wishful thinking.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I am the first one who has ripped Buff and I have had good reason every time. Now that Buff is playing like he should I am first one to say we won again because Buff has changed his game.

What if he had played his capabilities whole season?

Buff has been our best defenseman last two games. Trouba has been great also but not as good as Buff.

I have been waiting to say this this for long time: first half of this season Buff was worst defenseman of the league.

If Buff continues to play like he did against Blues Jets will make playoffs.

Nice! You've been Buff's biggest critic through most of the season with good justification. Its so nice to see fans that are not only observant and open-minded enough to see their villains perform much better, but to vocally be as supportive of his new found game.

Like you, I've been openly critical of Buff this year and felt he was a huge drag to the team. But, when Buff wants to play, there's few players in this league than can change the game like he can.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think Helle will be fine and has some good hockey left in him this season. What might be the key is for the first time this season we may actually have a back up option in net. Hutch has been so bad that if we can just get some decent work from Pavs it could provide the lift we need for the one two punch. Not saying I would bet the farm on Helle Pavs by any means but I feel like at this snap shot in time it gives us a better chance.

Yep, Helle REALLY needed a rest & reset. This is giving him exactly what he needed. Keep Pavs in there for as long as he stays winning for sure because the longer the rest for Helle here, the more those last two stinkers will be long behind him.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Big Buff good for the second game in a row. If this was his low water mark, you would never hear me complain about #33

I think what Pavs is bringing to the party right now is not good goaltending per se. I think he's calmed things down a bit and he's gotten the crowd pumped up so good on him for coming up and helping the team get some W

Still don't get the drooling over Nic Petan. He is extremely skilled. I love him on the PP -- he actually knows how to handle the puck on the half boards. 5v5 though? He does some great things occasionally, makes some nice passes but theres a lot of lacklustre play there too.

I know I know "but he's playing on the 4th line!!" EVERYONE has played on the 4th line. Brighteyes, Ehlers.... the good ones find a way off that 4th line. We will see.

Trouba is a beauty. I really hate what happened this offseason BUT if he changed his mind about leaving, I'd forgive him. IF we have to trade him, we better get a **** ton of value back.

I think Armia is banged up, but saying that, he's still been really effective. I wish he could start putting more of those chances in the back of the net. Even so, he's really helping the team every time he's out there.

Ehlers shot was wow.

Bang on for all except Petan. Just think of how bad Ehlers looked last year when he was forced to play with the smuck bros. How can a skill player like Petan shine there? Playing 5 mins per night & with absolutely no encouragement from the coaches. You play good, you might someday get advanced, but more likely your Smuck bros (Staff & Copp) get moved up & you get to continue trying to impress playing 5 mins night with completely untalented mates

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Forward Ranks:
Perreault 2nd
Wheeler 3rd
Scheifele 39th
Armia 53rd
Little 120th
Ehlers 154th
Lowry 158th
Petan 195th
Copp 253rd
Matthias 261st
Laine 269th
Tanev 274th
Burmistrov 299th
Connor 318th
Stafford 352nd
Dano 359th (surprise for me?!)
Thorburn 388th

Again, XPM is not a WAR stat, for example it doesn't take into consideration: scoring production, penalties, individual shots, etc.

(Bergeron is 1st overall)

Those results are ......... bizarre. Is this a proven stat? Or some concept somebody is tinkering with? How would these rankings compare to WAR?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nic Petan is going to be a good top 6 players to the jets down the road.
Hope they hang on to him.

He 's iq and skills are there. He just need to believe and he just needs to grow into a man.
Hope he trains hard , be like m. St. Louis or D. Briere...

The vets are stepping up now. Hope they all can put it together... Altogether .

I'm tired at reading in the main board, how bad the jets are :)

Stay away from the main board. Seriously.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How dare the sports media be happy with success and report that the change to the team has made that difference.
Anyone watching today's game that thinks the result is not largely due to Pavalec's play is deluding themselves.

Pavelec's play in that 2nd period was outstanding. No denying that. The rest of the time? Not so much. He has allowed 3 goals in each game. He has had 6 and 5 goal support. How many of those goals did he score? Or even get a 2nd assist on?

It can't reasonably be attributed to Pav's play (outside that 1 period). It might be attributable to an increased confidence in their goalie but where would that have come from? That is outside of yesterday's 3rd period. The 2nd would have given them confidence in the 3rd. OTOH, I don't think I have ever seen them dominated like they were in that 2nd so apparently his play wasn't boosting the rest of the team prior to that.

The media can and should be happy with success but after a mere 5 mediocre + 1 outstanding periods I think they should at least wait for a little larger sample before attributing it to Pav. Talk about a bandwagon effect, wow!

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I prefer Petan over Copp for the top six as well. But those calling Maurice a dummy, let's not ignore who has produced better in their bottom six mins so far. Hint, it's not Petan.

Petan has been making his impact on the PP much more so than 5 on 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad