Post-Game Talk: Where's the damn Jets -Blues PGT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
Pure enjoyment, thats what I felt during last game. This team is good when Buff plays the way he did. Buff had his best game of the season, only had one bad shift in 2nd period. His pass to Wheeler goal became after he had skated towards own zone just to be ready defensively if Blues can get puck.

Two goals Blues had in third became from referees making mistake with non call for tripping Trouba. First was direct result from the trip and second came from momentum Blues got from the goal.

Before the trip Jets had perfect third period with Lowry, Matthias & Armia leading the dump in deep and kill the clock game.

Pavelec was way better than his first game, and now he is big part of Jets playoff rush.

Power play is looking totally different now that Buff is moving puck faster.

Stuart is playing good enough to be 7th defenseman for now. 8th when Myers gets back.

Male75FromFinland

Aug 5, 2010
Since Buff get ripped by some in every PGT, no one seems to acknowledge how he bailed out Morrissey when Morrissey went in for a bad pinch in the 1st or how he created 2 goals today with his excellent vision or his two-zone tape-to-tape pass to Matthias last game that led to the Armia goal

I don't mind that Maurice plays Petan on the 4th line as a C for now however if there is a an opening in the top-6, Petan needs to be the one to move up the lineup. Not freaking Andrew Copp. Petan has played so well that he is holding a 4th line with Chris Thorburn on it above water, something that hasn't been done in franchise history. He is the one who deserves top-6 minutes.

I am the first one who has ripped Buff and I have had good reason every time. Now that Buff is playing like he should I am first one to say we won again because Buff has changed his game.

What if he had played his capabilities whole season?

Buff has been our best defenseman last two games. Trouba has been great also but not as good as Buff.

I have been waiting to say this this for long time: first half of this season Buff was worst defenseman of the league.

If Buff continues to play like he did against Blues Jets will make playoffs.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think wearing that tie is justification enough to move him back to step 1 in the concussion protocol.

If yer gonna call out Finn boys for their dress sense (or lack of), we'll all be here till the next game.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I mean he doesn't have the excuse anymore. He is getting exactly what he was asking for during the holdout- top4 mins on the right side and PP time.

4th best defender in NHL by XPM/60!!

Trouba clearly looks like a #1 D man to me now. He is becoming one of those guys that is impactful at both ends of the ice and those guys are hard to find. He looks to be playing with more confidence than ever which is also great.

This is just a personal preference of mine because in the big scheme of things it doesn't matter but I like it when a D man has one or two significant hits in a game that keep the other teams best players thinking and a Trouba does that as well. Both the Perlini and Fabbro hits in back to back games is what I am talking about.

Last edited:

Tesaka

Jun 28, 2016
Finland
Have to say that Pavs hate here is very real. What ever ppl may think of him he saved that game on period 2.
Then need to talk about Buff, if we have Buff like this all time we will very very many games. When he is playing his best he can change the direction of the game so fast. Soon we get our sniper back also!! Lets enjoy some good Jets hockey.
Like I said earlier in pre game, 7 game winning streak coming up. Lets see where we stand then on play offs run!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have been saying through the darkest moments that I haven't given up on the playoffs this season and that remains true not because we are good but because the west is bad. I have maintained we are one win streak away from being in it. It's a long shot but my instincts tell me we are due for a winning streak at some point this season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have been saying through the darkest moments that I haven't given up on the playoffs this season and that remains true not because we are good but because the west is bad. I have maintained we are one win streak away from being in it. It's a long shot but my instincts tell me we are due for a winning streak at some point this season.

Tend to agree. Let's hope they don't sag a bit when Laine returns, as they often seem to when good players return from injury. It seems that they sometimes ease up.

Also, Maurice will need to find a way to get Hellebuyck going again. I really doubts Pavs can take them to the dance again, do they'll need Hellebuyck to step up if they are going to make a run. I hope Maurice remembers that Pavs is really bad on back-to-back games, and that Hellebuyck has a great performance if/when he plays this week.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Hitch interview was good. He said the Blues generated allot of scoring chances but they also gave up away too many chances and that matches my eye test too. In the past it was always hard to play against the Blues because you fight for every inch and they just made it tough to score....that was not the case yesterday and we were in a bit of a chance trading toe to toe fight. Blues power play looked incredible puck movement wise.

I wonder if we are ever going to be a team that defends well all over the ice? I don't think we are built that way as a team but who knows?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Tend to agree. Let's hope they don't sag a bit when Laine returns, as they often seem to when good players return from injury. It seems that they sometimes ease up.

Also, Maurice will need to find a way to get Hellebuyck going again. I really doubts Pavs can take them to the dance again, do they'll need Hellebuyck to step up if they are going to make a run. I hope Maurice remembers that Pavs is really bad on back-to-back games, and that Hellebuyck has a great performance if/when he plays this week.

I think Helle will be fine and has some good hockey left in him this season. What might be the key is for the first time this season we may actually have a back up option in net. Hutch has been so bad that if we can just get some decent work from Pavs it could provide the lift we need for the one two punch. Not saying I would bet the farm on Helle Pavs by any means but I feel like at this snap shot in time it gives us a better chance.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
The Hitch interview was good. He said the Blues generated allot of scoring chances but they also gave up away too many chances and that matches my eye test too. In the past it was always hard to play against the Blues because you fight for every inch and they just made it tough to score....that was not the case yesterday and we were in a bit of a chance trading toe to toe fight. Blues power play looked incredible puck movement wise.

I wonder if we are ever going to be a team that defends well all over the ice? I don't think we are built that way as a team but who knows?

I'd prefer the Jets to be a team that defends 'good enough' all over the ice.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
RvhGOnW.gif
I see Laine's mommy didn't teach him to chew with his mouth closed . :laugh:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think Helle will be fine and has some good hockey left in him this season. What might be the key is for the first time this season we may actually have a back up option in net. Hutch has been so bad that if we can just get some decent work from Pavs it could provide the lift we need for the one two punch. Not saying I would bet the farm on Helle Pavs by any means but I feel like at this snap shot in time it gives us a better chance.
To me you run Pavelec until he loses and then start Helly and run him until he loses. Do this the rest of the season and see what happens .

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
To me you run Pavelec until he loses and then start Helly and run him until he loses. Do this the rest of the season and see what happens .

Both games of a btb? :amazed::amazed:

Pav has been good. Get what we can from him for the rest of the season. Then shake hands and watch him fly off to parts unknown... :yo:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Both games of a btb? :amazed::amazed:

Pav has been good. Get what we can from him for the rest of the season. Then shake hands and watch him fly off to parts unknown... :yo:
If he wins the first game , absolutely . It's not like he has played alot of hockey this season. I work 5 days in a row why can't he play hockey 2 days in a row.:laugh:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
What he's trying to say is that you can't use fancy stats to track the morale a team gets from seeing their goalie back them up when they're giving up a lot of chances. And just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it's irrelevant or does not exist. No pavelec did not win us this game singlehandedly or anything, but he was extremely important in that second period, you can't deny that.

When you look at the actual game, what Pavelec did in the second period kept us in the game and allowed us the opportunity to finish it off in the third. Hutch or Helle would not likely have done that.

But next week, the stats guys will condense this game down to the fact that the Jets offense scored five goals and Pavelec's win streak was not attributable to him lol. Actually, some are saying that today.

Those that honestly watched the game will understand how we won. Misuse of stats (which is easy to do) can distort the reality to tell whatever story they want to say.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Have to say that Pavs hate here is very real. What ever ppl may think of him he saved that game on period 2.
Then need to talk about Buff, if we have Buff like this all time we will very very many games. When he is playing his best he can change the direction of the game so fast. Soon we get our sniper back also!! Lets enjoy some good Jets hockey.
Like I said earlier in pre game, 7 game winning streak coming up. Lets see where we stand then on play offs run!

[mod]

I will always revel in the success of the team. If a player I previously discounted becomes successful, I cheer that on rather than trying to validate my previous opinions. I think this is the negative issue that is going on here...some would rather be proved right than enjoy the success of the past two wins.

If the Jets were blasted out 7-2, the crowing and satisfaction here would be sickening.

Last edited by a moderator:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Score 6 goals and win the game, goalie gives up 3- it was the goalie who won the game for us

Score 5 goals and win the game, goalie gives up 3- it was the goalie who won the game for us

:shakehead :shakehead

You put Hutchinson in the net and the Jets likely win these two games.

Everyone posting in this thread has watched the game. We saw a game where the Jets came at St. Louis in waves and if it wasn't for a couple of highlight reel saves by Copley and a post, the Jets could have scored like 8 goals. It didn't matter who was in the net. Pavelec provided adequete goaltending for us to win these two games. He did not win these games for us

BTW interesting how no one has mentioned how Tarasenko hit TWO posts.

All of this is giving me serious 2011-2016 PTSD Pavelec flashbacks.

Edit: Oops, maybe should have posted this in the Pavelec thread but I was responding to the posts above crediting Pavelec for the wins. Mods please move it to the Pavelec thread if you see fit

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Score 6 goals and win the game, goalie gives up 3- it was the goalie who won the game for us

Score 5 goals and win the game, goalie gives up 3- it was the goalie who won the game for us

:shakehead :shakehead

You put Hutchinson in the net and the Jets likely win these two games.

Everyone posting in this thread has watched the game. We saw a game where the Jets came at St. Louis in waves and if it wasn't for a couple of highlight reel saves by Copley and a post, the Jets could have scored like 8 goals. It didn't matter who was in the net. Pavelec provided adequete goaltending for us to win these two games. He did not win these games for us

BTW interesting how no one has mentioned how Tarasenko hit TWO posts.

All of this is giving me serious 2011-2016 PTSD Pavelec flashbacks.

Edit: Oops, maybe should have posted this in the Pavelec thread but I was responding to the posts above crediting Pavelec for the wins. Mods please move it to the Pavelec thread if you see fit

If Hutch is in net, it wouldn't surprise me if we're going into the third period down 4-2. Is the game not going to play out differently in the third? Or do you think the Jets still magically score three goals despite a completely different game situation (up 2-1 versus down 4-2)?

BTW, you want to count posts as goals now? LOL, K.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If Hutch is in net, it wouldn't surprise me if we're going into the third period down 4-2. Is the game not going to play out differently in the third? Or do you think the Jets still magically score three goals despite a completely different game situation (up 2-1 versus down 4-2)?

I think this is a good point. Momentum is a strange thing sometimes. Being held in by a goalie for a change seemed to light a fire.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

Pav has been good. But if you are prepared to state unequivocably that neither Helly nor Hutch could have given us a good period like Pav did yesterday based on Helly and Hutch's performance this season so far, why aren't you prepared to admit that Pav has been hot for brief periods throughout his career and yet still proven based on sample size to not be a good starting net-minder?? I mean we have a huge sample size to go on when judging Pavelec...

All most of us are saying is we've seen this sort of thing from Pavelec before and while it's fun while it lasts, it doesn't last long enough or happen often enough to be very helpful in the long run.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Who cares about pavs sample size and the past. Right now, play the guy that gives you the best chance. Hope pavs can get hot if not hope it lights a fire under hellys ass. Let's just look ahead and hope they keep winning. Cheer on for a goalie no matter who to keep playing till they lose, get on a streak.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

I don't have a magicscope into an alternative universe where unicorns bow to Pavelec and rainbows adorn his head, but it's not hard to find alternative scenarios based on factual precedent for Hutch. Since he has had shutouts before where he's played lights out, it's possible the Jets would have gone into the third up 2-0 had he been in net. Also, the Jets have scored three goals in the third period before (as recently as last night), so even in the it-didn't-happen-but-let's-pretend-it-did-to-pump-up-Pavelec's-tires situation of being down 4-2 going into the third, it's thoroughly conceivable they win that game anyway.

Coulda shoulda woulda = 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad