Post-Game Talk: Where's the damn Jets -Blues PGT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Who cares about pavs sample size and the past. Right now, play the guy that gives you the best chance. Hope pavs can get hit if not hope it lights a fire under hellys ass. Let's just look ahead and hope they keep winning. Cheer on for a goalie no matter who to keep plsying till they lose, get on a streak.

Well said and I agree 100%.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Seems really strange people can't just be happy about 2 jet wins. We all know pavs isn't the answer. He's not the long term solution but the jets needed a shake up and this was it. Helle also needed a breather.

If PoMo somehow got these guys into the playoffs this year I imagine the discussion about him would look eerily similar to the one we are having about Pavs right now.

We'd rather be right than have a winning hockey team eh?

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't have a magicscope into an alternative universe where unicorns bow to Pavelec and rainbows adorn his head, but it's not hard to find alternative scenarios based on factual precedent for Hutch. Since he has had shutouts before where he's played lights out, it's possible the Jets would have gone into the third up 2-0 had he been in net. Also, the Jets have scored three goals in the third period before (as recently as last night), so even in the it-didn't-happen-but-let's-pretend-it-did-to-pump-up-Pavelec's-tires situation of being down 4-2 going into the third, it's thoroughly conceivable they win that game anyway.

Coulda shoulda woulda = 0

With the other 2 guys in net giving up 7 goals lately hasn't been out of the question.....

He has been a part of 2 very needed wins. No one here from what I can't tell thinks he's the long term answer. The jets don't even think he's the long term answer.

Can't we just be happy for him and the jets that we got 2 big wins?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Pav has been good. But if you are prepared to state unequivocably that neither Helly nor Hutch could have given us a good period like Pav did yesterday based on Helly and Hutch's performance this season so far, why aren't you prepared to admit that Pav has been hot for brief periods throughout his career and yet still proven based on sample size to not be a good starting net-minder?? I mean we have a huge sample size to go on when judging Pavelec...

All most of us are saying is we've seen this sort of thing from Pavelec before and while it's fun while it lasts, it doesn't last long enough or happen often enough to be very helpful in the long run.

I haven't suggested that Pavelec should be our future goaltending answer. I am happy to allow Pavelec to play his role helping the team get on track.

Pavelec has a .914 over the past three seasons. If he keeps it up, I would consider extending him as a back-up for a season IF Hellebuyck shows he still has first string potential (which, I think he still does). If Hellebuyck flakes out for the rest of the year then I would spend big money on a vet goalie.

The one goalie that we need to move on from is Hutch.

Anyways, our watchful mod will probably want this moved to another thread. Just don't assume my stance on things because I am actually very level-headed. :)

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Who cares about pavs sample size and the past. Right now, play the guy that gives you the best chance. Hope pavs can get hot if not hope it lights a fire under hellys ass. Let's just look ahead and hope they keep winning. Cheer on for a goalie no matter who to keep playing till they lose, get on a streak.

Has anyone said otherwise? I'm not talking about what happens for the remainder of this season. Play whatever goalie is getting wins. I'm talking about the horrifying potential (which some Pav fans are seriously suggesting) that we sign Pavelec for next season based on whatever success he has now... :amazed::amazed:

...although having said that, Pavelec has shown he's pretty god-awful playing both games of a btb so I think Helly should get one of the next two.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I don't have a magicscope into an alternative universe where unicorns bow to Pavelec and rainbows adorn his head, but it's not hard to find alternative scenarios based on factual precedent for Hutch. Since he has had shutouts before where he's played lights out, it's possible the Jets would have gone into the third up 2-0 had he been in net. Also, the Jets have scored three goals in the third period before (as recently as last night), so even in the it-didn't-happen-but-let's-pretend-it-did-to-pump-up-Pavelec's-tires situation of being down 4-2 going into the third, it's thoroughly conceivable they win that game anyway.

Coulda shoulda woulda = 0

Point being, it's ignorant to look at the end of game goals we scored and ignore how the team got to that point throughout the game.

You guys should know by now that momentum and score is a major factor on how the game gets played, right?

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Who cares about pavs sample size and the past. Right now, play the guy that gives you the best chance. Hope pavs can get hot if not hope it lights a fire under hellys ass. Let's just look ahead and hope they keep winning. Cheer on for a goalie no matter who to keep playing till they lose, get on a streak.

The direction of these thoughts make sense and are logical. I'm not sure why the current picture is clouded with the residual detritus of the Jets past. In the present, they are my team and if they win, I will be pleased and support the cast that provided me with an entertaining win. :handclap:

Last edited:

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Why are some of you seriously wanting to re sign pav for a backup? Geezus, have some self respect, he's gone after this season and good riddance. Who cares if he has a few good games, he will still be pav at the end of th day, one of the worst starters in the NHL and AHL. Gimme a break guys.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think the schedule at the beginning of the year was a double whammy. Always played bagged, and I think there were some longer-term health repercussions.

Playoff run? It's a long shot. But it's there. It's nice to be still engaged in the season. **** the tank thread. :laugh:

I have made a point of not even opening that thread. Proud to say I haven't once. I'm still holding out hope :)

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Why are some of you seriously wanting to re sign pav for a backup? Geezus, have some self respect, he's gone after this season and good riddance. Who cares if he has a few good games, he will still be pav at the end of th day, one of the worst starters in the NHL and AHL. Gimme a break guys.

The recency bias is hilarious. Everyone was so happy when he was sent down. Now after a few good games people want to sign him again...

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The recency bias is hilarious. Everyone was so happy when he was sent down. Now after a few good games people want to sign him again...

It's unlikely that individuals are flipping from one opinion to the other. People's opinions vary, so while it may seem a bit bipolar, it's not - it's just different people expressing their opinion.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's unlikely that individuals are flipping from one opinion to the other. People's opinions vary, so while it may seem a bit bipolar, it's not - it's just different people expressing their opinion.

OT: this is One of the things I've noticed on message boards in general.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ride the hot hand. The move was the right move in the short term. How long it lasts who knows but Hutch has been a mess this season so what do we have to lose exactly? I am cheering for the Jets and whatever works I am in favour of. I have zero delusions when it comes to these guys and their history.

All pro goalies are capable of getting on rolls.....think "Hamburgler"

GJG

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Point being, it's ignorant to look at the end of game goals we scored and ignore how the team got to that point throughout the game.

You guys should know by now that momentum and score is a major factor on how the game gets played, right?

[mod]

Momentum schmomentum. Probably has more to do with desperation by the trailing team and complacency by the leading team, or something as random as a lucky bounce. Jets were down 4-1 to the Leafs going into the third earlier this year and won the game. It's ignorant to say they absolutely wouldn't have done the same against the Blues had they been down 4-2. In both games Pavelec has played the Jets needed a minimum of four goals to win. That's right around Hutch territory this year and worse than Helly. I fail to see the need to celebrate anything; seems like business as usual, nothing more, except they're scoring better. If you want to crow about something, crow about the offense.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Big Buff good for the second game in a row. If this was his low water mark, you would never hear me complain about #33

I think what Pavs is bringing to the party right now is not good goaltending per se. I think he's calmed things down a bit and he's gotten the crowd pumped up so good on him for coming up and helping the team get some W

Still don't get the drooling over Nic Petan. He is extremely skilled. I love him on the PP -- he actually knows how to handle the puck on the half boards. 5v5 though? He does some great things occasionally, makes some nice passes but theres a lot of lacklustre play there too.

I know I know "but he's playing on the 4th line!!" EVERYONE has played on the 4th line. Brighteyes, Ehlers.... the good ones find a way off that 4th line. We will see.

Trouba is a beauty. I really hate what happened this offseason BUT if he changed his mind about leaving, I'd forgive him. IF we have to trade him, we better get a **** ton of value back.

I think Armia is banged up, but saying that, he's still been really effective. I wish he could start putting more of those chances in the back of the net. Even so, he's really helping the team every time he's out there.

Ehlers shot was wow.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Do you believe if St Louis scored 4 goals on their 25 shots in the second period and had a 5-2 lead that the Jets would of still scored 3 goals in third to tie the game?

Yup. This is why stats don't tell the story - they add color to it. Momentum affects hockey I feel like no other sport, and any number of things can change the way either side is playing.

The Jets could have easily been down going into the third, the Blues put in their Hitchcock smothering shutdown system and we'd never have a sniff.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Make perfect sense to me. In regard to who's in net, the Jets will be using the "What have you done for me lately" clause for the remainder of the year. hypothesising is a waste of time - how many shots could either of the other 2 stopped in the second? Really?.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Agreed on Petan, but Copp is playing very well and also deserves some opportunity.

I'm trying hard here to give Maurice the benefit of the doubt, but its totally beyond me why everyone gets promoted except Petan. Makes absolutely zero sense to keep a skilled forward like that on the 4th line and promoting Staff, Copp & the rest of the non-skilled players. Can someone give me even half a reason why?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Hah!! 40 goal Marchand or Patrice flipping Bergeron compare to 3 career goal nic petan? And I'm a petan fan...

You stick those guys with plugs and play them 5 mins a night & they too would have next to nothing for points. And don't give us this garbage about being a Petan fan if you can't see that.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
According to Mo's post-game presser, Perreault had been fighting a lingering injury for a long while, but is healthy now. Matches what we've been seeing.

Awe, nice to hear that. Perrault hasn't been himself this year & its been worrisome. Goingto really ramp up the XD discussions if he starts playing like he can.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Pav has proven to be a poor NHL starter. Hutch has proven to be a poor NHL backup. Given the choice between those two as a backup next season, I'd easily choose Pav. My first choice would be to bring in a UFA backup but if Chevy re-signs Pav on a cheap, short deal I won't be upset. None of us know if Pav is a good team mate but if Chevy were to sign him, it would be a clear sign that he is a good team mate.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
All of the people complaining about Petan's lack of ice time and not being put placed on other lines sure sound a lot like the same people who used to go on and on and on about Burmistrov and how Noel was a big meanie for not giving him more ice time and blaming him for going to the K where he made more money than he will ever make in the NHL.
Turns out Noel was right about Burmistrov. Maybe the same will be said about Petan a couple years down the line.
Petan will get more 5v5 time we he has earned it. The lack of confidence may be his trouble with 5v5 work in practice or just the fact that Maurice wants more or doesn't want to sacrifice size so moves a larger body up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad