Where in the world is kyle turris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I was surprised as Turris is usually pretty money come playoff time. I wasn’t a big fan of the trade from a Sens fan perspective when it happened but Duchene has convinced me he’s a top quality player.

I think Turris will rebound next playoffs for Nashville though, the guy has proven he can get it done so I don’t see why he won’t step it up next season for them.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
What did he do in Finland that showed bad character?
Complained about the ABC chain's food which the players ate after away games.
That's literally it.

Don't know where Kärpät players go to eat nowadays, but in 2012 those meals werent exactly gourmet.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I was expecting the Preds, after being eliminated, to announce that Turris had been dealing with an injury, which would explain his complete disappearing act in Nashville since January.

Seeing that he is not only not injured, but healthy enough to immediately head to Europe to play for Team Canada in the World Championships, really makes me wonder if we did the right thing by walking away from his contract expectations here in Ottawa.

Yeah, we still overpaid for Duchene, but seeing Turris's 4 month long cold streak certainly makes me reconsider the value in that trade.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
At no point in time has Sam Girard ever had anywhere close to the value Seth Jones had/has though.

What I was pointing out was that, given where each player is NOW, the Preds don't move Jones for Johansen or Girard for Turris.
Jones is worth a Draisaitl now

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I was expecting the Preds, after being eliminated, to announce that Turris had been dealing with an injury, which would explain his complete disappearing act in Nashville since January.

Seeing that he is not only not injured, but healthy enough to immediately head to Europe to play for Team Canada in the World Championships, really makes me wonder if we did the right thing by walking away from his contract expectations here in Ottawa.

Yeah, we still overpaid for Duchene, but seeing Turris's 4 month long cold streak certainly makes me reconsider the value in that trade.
It can also be a chemistry and team thing. Maybe Turris would continue to play really well for Ottawa, but for some reason he sucks in Nashville. Maybe he doesn't like it there, maybe their strategy doesn't match his qualities so well, etc.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Yeah, they definitely should have just left that gaping hole at 2C to hold onto a guy that wasn’t going to get anything more than 3rd pairing minutes for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, they definitely should've traded the guy who was going to be their top 4 D for the next 7+ years for a guy who can barely fill in at 2 C for one or two years.

I don't believe that argument but I'm using it to point out why yours seems silly and to point out that you're ignoring some crucial things

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Yeah, they definitely should've traded the guy who was going to be their top 4 D for the next 7+ years for a guy who can barely fill in at 2 C for one or two years.

I don't believe that argument but I'm using it to point out why yours seems silly and to point out that you're ignoring some crucial things

Well, his argument made a lot more sense. Nashville dealt from a position of strength, for a position of need. A top six centre for them is going to be more valuable than a potential top for D, because they're already stacked on D.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Well, his argument made a lot more sense. Nashville dealt from a position of strength, for a position of need. A top six centre for them is going to be more valuable than a potential top for D, because they're already stacked on D.
Just seemed dishonest to pretend not to understand at all why someone might feel otherwise and to frame it like there was one and only one thing someone should consider

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Just seemed dishonest to pretend not to understand at all why someone might feel otherwise and to frame it like there was one and only one thing someone should consider

Yeah, I guess. Kyle Turris wasn't the only option.

But, I think long-term, the Predators will probably be happy with Turris. Give him a full season in Nashville and we'll talk.

Reactions: shinchanyo

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What I was pointing out was that, given where each player is NOW, the Preds don't move Jones for Johansen or Girard for Turris.
Jones is worth a Draisaitl now

I think Logan Couture is better and worth more than Johansen, and I would easily trade Couture and a 1st round pick for Seth Jones.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The Sens and Preds both lost this trade, but Colorado CLEANED UP.

Duchene

for

2019 Sens 1st (unprotected, could be VERY high)
Girard
Bowers (2017 1st who’s progressing well)
Kamenev (worth at least a 2nd, maybe a 1st)
2nd
3rd
Hammond

That’s unbelievable, a ridiculously good return. That 2019 Sens 1st has similar value to Duchene, as does Girard. To also get two good prospects in Bowers and Kamenev, and a 2nd and a 3rd, just an unreal return.

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
The Sens and Preds both lost this trade, but Colorado CLEANED UP.

Duchene

for

2019 Sens 1st (unprotected, could be VERY high)
Girard
Bowers (2017 1st who’s progressing well)
Kamenev (worth at least a 2nd, maybe a 1st)
2nd
3rd
Hammond

That’s unbelievable, a ridiculously good return. That 2019 Sens 1st has similar value to Duchene, as does Girard. To also get two good prospects in Bowers and Kamenev, and a 2nd and a 3rd, just an unreal return.

I would be very surprised if the 2019 first is as good as Duchene.

Reactions: swiftwin

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I would be very surprised if the 2019 first is as good as Duchene.
Duchene is 27, and Ottawa acquired him with under 2 years left on his $6 mil AAV deal before he becomes a UFA. There's a decent chance they get just 1.8 seasons of Duchene, and even if they do resign him, it'll be an always-risky UFA deal - probably for tonnes of money and term, in his 30s for almost all of the deal, these contracts are always major risks and often work out poorly.

The 2019 1st could easily be a top 5 pick, and top 5 picks turn out as good or better than Duchene decently often. But even if he's significantly worse, he'll be an 18 year on a dirt cheap rookie deal for a few years, then a still-reasonable RFA deal for many years after that. He doesn't have to be as good as Duchene to be equally (or much more) valuable, because you get him for ages at a good-to-great price, while with Duchene it's either just 1.8 years, or longer, but on a very risky, very expensive UFA deal.

I think Ottawa made this deal thinking they'd be a playoff team, and the pick would be a mid/late 1st. Given Ottawa's very poor performance this year, and the likelihood of the pick being very high, I think they'd at this point deal Duchene straight-up for the pick back, while Colorado wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad