Speculation: Where does JVR end up next season?

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Somehow. Someway.

Pittsburgh.

That’s where he’ll go.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Leafs 4.25x8 front loaded, at year 6 he gets a mysterious allergy to his equipment.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I wonder how much the brother draw would be for him, if Carolina was interested. If the long term goal is to have Aho play in the middle starting next year, it’d be a no brainer to go for JVR.

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Leafs find a way to retain him. Bozak and Komarov are having their worst seasons in a while and appear on the decline, so there goes a little over $7 Million off the books that you can fill internally. They have a little more than $2 Million in buyouts coming off the books. There's ways to facilitate this. Admittedly, it would have been far easier if they didn't dump the money trunk at Marleau, a move I understand, even if I don't agree with. It's that Matt Martin deal that's killing them. Potentially Zaitsev too, though he's had a weird year, so I'm leaving the possibility of a bounce back open. They still have a lot of guys on extremely cap friendly deals. Andersen, Rielly, and Kadri are all on good value deals. Gardiner is too, albeit due at the end of next year. And despite the opposing off-season narratives, it's Hyman, not Brown, who I think is proving to be terrific value at $2.25 for 4 years. If he can give you 40 points a year (I don't care who he plays with, 40 points is 40 points) and be an elite PK'er, he's a steal at that price.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Leafs find a way to retain him. Bozak and Komarov are having their worst seasons in a while and appear on the decline, so there goes a little over $7 Million off the books that you can fill internally. They have a little more than $2 Million in buyouts coming off the books. There's ways to facilitate this. Admittedly, it would have been far easier if they didn't dump the money trunk at Marleau, a move I understand, even if I don't agree with. It's that Matt Martin deal that's killing them. Potentially Zaitsev too, though he's had a weird year, so I'm leaving the possibility of a bounce back open. They still have a lot of guys on extremely cap friendly deals. Andersen, Rielly, and Kadri are all on good value deals. Gardiner is too, albeit due at the end of next year. And despite the opposing off-season narratives, it's Hyman, not Brown, who I think is proving to be terrific value at $2.25 for 4 years.

What about Matthews and Nylander?

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
What about Matthews and Nylander?
Obviously, an issue. Though, Nylander is the only one of their 3 young guys getting paid next season and he's had the worst season of the 3, so perhaps they can get him affordably and find an out in the 3rd year of Marleau's deal. They need to find a way to dump at least a portion of Martin's deal, though. He's clearly of no use to them and $2.5 is way too much for somebody of no use to you when you're already paying Phil Kessel $1.2 to be an elite player on a competing team.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Obviously, an issue. Though, Nylander is the only one of their 3 young guys getting paid next season and he's had the worst season of the 3, so perhaps they can get him affordably and find an out in the 3rd year of Marleau's deal. They need to find a way to dump at least a portion of Martin's deal, though. He's clearly of no use to them and $2.5 is way too much for somebody of no use to you when you're already paying Phil Kessel $1.2 to be an elite player on a competing team.

I would give up on keeping JVR, if cap is the issue. It makes more sense to focus on signing Matthews and/or Nylander. You have Kasperi Kapanen coming up, and he should be the second or third-line man for your team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I predict he signs with Calgary if he doesn't re-sign in Toronto. Flames have the space in the top 6 (and top line), they have the cap space and there is the Burke connection

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
They've got space for one of JVR or Gardiner. My bet is that they trade Gardiner or let him walk and keep JVR.

this idea is awful. gardiner is our 2nd best dman. we arent trading out 2nd best dman to make space for a winger to play on our 3rd line

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I was thinking the same thing. JVR, Bozak and Komorov are pretty decent losses up front of they don't re-sign any of them.

Ehh...I mean JVR is pretty good but the others...

Andreas Johnsson is going to be a player. Kapanen definitely has more to give. And maybe they'll even let Leivo play. Those guys can definitely offset the production and value of Bozak + Komarov.

What they'll need to find is a decent center. They definitely have enough quality young guys to fill in on the wings.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
this idea is awful. gardiner is our 2nd best dman. we arent trading out 2nd best dman to make space for a winger to play on our 3rd line

It's strange how Gardiner gets such sheltered minutes despite being the team's 2nd best defenceman. There is a reason that Rielly gets the toughest minutes in the league and it's because Babcock doesn't trust a 2nd pair with Gardiner on it. Gardiner is as flawed a player as JVR is and I'd rather pay JVR.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
It's strange how Gardiner gets such sheltered minutes despite being the team's 2nd best defenceman. There is a reason that Rielly gets the toughest minutes in the league and it's because Babcock doesn't trust a 2nd pair with Gardiner on it. Gardiner is as flawed a player as JVR is and I'd rather pay JVR.

and How do you replace Gardiners 21 mins a night? How do you replace his 43pts/72 games?
Gardiner had a rough couple months at the start (and rielly had a great couple months) but Jake has been our best or 2nd best dman pretty much every night since december.

teams that are already weak on the back end don't trade their 2nd best dman, a guy that anchors the 2nd line alongside
plugs like Carrick and Polak

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Leafs find a way to retain him. Bozak and Komarov are having their worst seasons in a while and appear on the decline, so there goes a little over $7 Million off the books that you can fill internally. They have a little more than $2 Million in buyouts coming off the books. There's ways to facilitate this. Admittedly, it would have been far easier if they didn't dump the money trunk at Marleau, a move I understand, even if I don't agree with. It's that Matt Martin deal that's killing them. Potentially Zaitsev too, though he's had a weird year, so I'm leaving the possibility of a bounce back open. They still have a lot of guys on extremely cap friendly deals. Andersen, Rielly, and Kadri are all on good value deals. Gardiner is too, albeit due at the end of next year. And despite the opposing off-season narratives, it's Hyman, not Brown, who I think is proving to be terrific value at $2.25 for 4 years. If he can give you 40 points a year (I don't care who he plays with, 40 points is 40 points) and be an elite PK'er, he's a steal at that price.

Komarov will be re-signed, i can almost guarantee it.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

I agree, i’m hoping we move on from him this offseason.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Komarov will be re-signed, i can almost guarantee it.
I dont reckon you can guarantee that.

Grundstrom and Johnsson are coming up on the wings. Is it possible Babcock steps in and screws us by getting management to sign him to 4x4, yeah but it's no guarantee Dubas throws around that cash.

Tml’s depth is going to take a big hit this offseason
Yeah, no. Theyre loaded with wing depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad