Speculation: Where does JVR end up next season?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I think he is leaving Toronto.
It’s just too hard to find the cap space for him.

The big 3 kids need contracts this summer and there is only so much money to go around.

No they don't.

Only Nylander is a RFA this summer. Matthews and Marner not until NEXT summer. So the Leafs can easily re-sign JVR for 6 million or so if they wanted to. As of next summer, Bozak, Komarov, Moore, Plekanec, Polak are all off the books, and Marleau will only have one more year on his contract.

It's only a question of whether or not the Leafs want to tie up 6 or so million a year in a guy like JVR. I think they will, as he's already got such great chemistry with guys on the team.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't see him going to Edmonton. Or if he does, not on McDavid's line anyway. I think they would be a bad fit. JVR no longer has the kind of speed necessary to complement McDavid. Best guess is he goes to New Jersey.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don't see him going to Edmonton. Or if he does, not on McDavid's line anyway. I think they would be a bad fit. JVR no longer has the kind of speed necessary to complement McDavid. Best guess is he goes to New Jersey.
Does Edmonton have the $ to sign him?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Well we’ll see how it works out. Ritchie and Chimera aren’t cutting it on third and fourth lines. I would move Cogliano to third line and have JVR control the second line with Kessler. But like I said on a previous post I don’t think jVR is leaving toronto
If any team can afford to lose a 31 goal winger, the Leafs can.
And IMO, they let him go.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
$5.5 * 8 years to stay in Toronto.

Babcock uses him perfectly, he loves Toronto, and playing 14 minutes a night will probably do wonders for his career longevity.

The only way he doesn't return to Toronto is if they don't want him.
Oh right, because everyone wants to play in Toronto :laugh:

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Detroit can sell easy - plus all about money and they will pay

Great hockey city some real good young forwards

Legit top 6

I like this landing spot
Detroit is one of the worst destinations to play right now.

City sucks
Team sucks
Future doesn't look bright as of now.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
No they don't.

Only Nylander is a RFA this summer. Matthews and Marner not until NEXT summer. So the Leafs can easily re-sign JVR for 6 million or so if they wanted to. As of next summer, Bozak, Komarov, Moore, Plekanec, Polak are all off the books, and Marleau will only have one more year on his contract.

It's only a question of whether or not the Leafs want to tie up 6 or so million a year in a guy like JVR. I think they will, as he's already got such great chemistry with guys on the team.

His chemistry is with bozak and bozak is also gone.
If he gets 6 or 6.5 then marner and nylander will be asking for more so no he is as good as gone

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
They won't be breaking the bank to acquire one, they've drafted heavy in this area since Hextall took over. It'll be stop-gap Elliot or someone of that ilk until Hart is ready. What they need is to be patient.
Holtby will only have 3 seasons left @ 6.1. Stop-gaps usually get 2 years so 1 more doesn't hurt. The cap space is there & Hart could back-up & learn for 1 or 2 of those years.
If Hart developes faster Holtby will still be tradanle since he's only 28 now.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Most likely SJ. Cost will be about the same as E Kane & JVR isn't always injured when needed. Less baggage too.
Add that re-signing E Kane bumps the 2nd to a 1st & JVR looks the better fit.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
They won't be breaking the bank to acquire one, they've drafted heavy in this area since Hextall took over. It'll be stop-gap Elliot or someone of that ilk until Hart is ready. What they need is to be patient.

Agree with this statement. No need to break the bank or long term sign someone since Hart is the future.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
No they don't.

Can’t agree more. JVR staying in Toronto would be the best option. But since some Toronto fans are so adamant of letting him walk it’s fun to speculate where he ends up

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Detroit is one of the worst destinations to play right now.

City sucks
Team sucks
Future doesn't look bright as of now.

You aren’t considering where their first round pick ends up. If it’s Dahlin then it’s a no brainier the team won’t be as bad. You add Dahlin feeding JVR and his linemates Detroit is right back on track. They have a good top 6 even with Tatar gone.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
JvR is coming off (IIRC) a 6 year deal, that he signed pretty young, taking the security rather than a bridge deal to let him further establish himself. Over the last 6 years of that deal, he has scored at almost exactly a 30 goal pace; with very little variation.

In hindsight, he certainly would've done better financially had he signed the bridge deal.

Based on that, I personally don't see him taking a huge paycut to to get a 7 or 8 year deal.... however, I also don't see any team ponying up $7.5m+ for him. Yes, he scores 30 goals consistently, but he really is a complimentary player.

If one just goes by the responses in this thread, there are likely to be quite a few teams interested; and I'd imagine the offers will be quite similar... with the following variations.

He'll get an offer from a bad team or two, at $8m for 4 or 5 years, maybe a team like Arizona; where he knows it's unlikely that he'll have a chance to win a cup, but will ultimately get paid.

He'll get offers from a bunch of contenders between $6 and $7m; and the length of the contracts will depend on that individual GM's philosophy towards long term deals -- is it do whatever's required to win the cup in the next 2-3 years, and worry about the tail end of the contract later? or does the GM take a conservative approach?

Ultimately, it will be interesting to see if JvR is forced to choose between term and destination, or if one of his top choices ends up being one where they give him the 6 or 7 years.

As for Toronto, based on recent history and the approach taken with Kadri / Rielly, it seems that the Leafs expect players to take big discounts to get the security of long term deals... personally I don't think JvR is going for that.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
You aren’t considering where their first round pick ends up. If it’s Dahlin then it’s a no brainier the team won’t be as bad. You add Dahlin feeding JVR and his linemates Detroit is right back on track. They have a good top 6 even with Tatar gone.
Not really. Their top 6 is pretty sh****

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think he will go to NYR / Canes / Philly

At 6.5x6

He’s gonna try NYR or Philly I think to get closer to home. I don’t see Devils having interest and he’s already rejected NYI as rumored last summer when they tried to trade him there and he refused

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I hope a bad team doesn't sign him thinking it fixes their offence. He is a terrific player, but I believe on a worse team he will suffer greatly. He doesn't drive a line, he fits perfectly with other skilled players and positions himself perfectly to be available in the o-zone. If he goes to a contender her thrives, if he goes to a bottom feeder, I could see him struggling to crack 20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad