Speculation: Where does JVR end up next season?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I dont reckon you can guarantee that.

Grundstrom and Johnsson are coming up on the wings. Is it possible Babcock steps in and screws us by getting management to sign him to 4x4, yeah but it's no guarantee Dubas throws around that cash.

*Almost guarantee, i’m basically saying i’d be willing to bet a lot that it happens.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Think if komorov is willing to take a 20% discount he will stay.
Could see something like 1mil and change for 2 or 3 years.

Could get over 2 on 1 year deal on another team.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

Grundstrom and Johnsson are coming up on the wings. Is it possible Babcock steps in and screws us by getting management to sign him to 4x4, yeah but it's no guarantee Dubas throws around that cash.

Yeah, no. Theyre loaded with wing depth.

are you referring to the vast amount of ahl prospects that they have averaging a ppg?

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
are you referring to the vast amount of ahl prospects that they have averaging a ppg?
Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo, Grundstrom.

2 of those have shown atleast some success in the NHL, 1 showed great SHL success and AHL success and is now in the NHL and the other is currently a 20 year old powerforward with a 0.7 PPG in the SHL.

so yeah sure.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo, Grundstrom.

2 of those have shown atleast some success in the NHL, 1 showed great SHL success and AHL success and is now in the NHL and the other is currently a 20 year old powerforward with a 0.7 PPG in the SHL.

so yeah sure.

Good luck with that. I don't think any respectable nhl executive would project any of those players to fill a top 6 roll well. And that is basically what jvr and to some degree bozak are. They are 2nd liners playing on your 3rd line.

Like all teams , cheap talented depth is what is going to help you guys overcome losses like these, but if that is what you are depending on then things may be rough for you.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I was thinking the same thing. JVR, Bozak and Komorov are pretty decent losses up front of they don't re-sign any of them.
they're two third liners and a 4th liner. its not that bad. also we have depth to replace them. we may not have a 30 goal scorer to replace jvr but someone who can get 40 points with a much better overall game is more beneficial to a team like toronto

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Good luck with that. I don't think any respectable nhl executive would project any of those players to fill a top 6 roll well. And that is basically what jvr and to some degree bozak are. They are 2nd liners playing on your 3rd line.

Like all teams , cheap talented depth is what is going to help you guys overcome losses like these, but if that is what you are depending on then things may be rough for you.
I mean that'd be true if Kapanen, Johnsson, and Grundstrom werent projected to be top 6 players, but they are.
Kapanen's value on these boards got dragged through the mud because of he was put in 1000 trade proposals, doesnt change the fact he's a great two way player with electric speed and a sick shot. He's absolutely good enough to take JVR's spot.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

Yeah, no. Theyre loaded with wing depth.

Babcock stepping in and forcing management to sign JvR to contract that he would not accept nor would the PA allow, is, well.....not gonna say it. Sad to say but Peace may never come to LeaFland

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Most likely SJ. Cost will be about the same as E Kane & JVR isn't always injured when needed. Less baggage too.
Add that re-signing E Kane bumps the 2nd to a 1st & JVR looks the better fit.

I'd rather re-sign Kane at the cost of a 1st instead of a 2nd in 2019 as opposed to signing JVR. Kane has more dimensions to his game and the baggage is overstated. The injuries are certainly a factor but JVR does one thing very well and that's about it. Kane does more that impacts a team's ability to succeed. However, the Sharks top priority until it's off the table is John Tavares. If they get him, I doubt Kane returns and I don't think JVR will be in their plans either. Sharks have guys like Meier, Couture/Hertl, and Boedker that they can put on the left side. It's not perfect but there's room to grow and there are other ways to improve that side especially if Tavares comes on board.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I think the leafs would be crazy not to sign him. Win when you can, because cup contending windows are short, and not guaranteed. Having a bunch of prospects does not replace JVR.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto

Agreed, none of the players listed are going to replace JVR's offense, and Kapanen is the only one who has a real shot of one day being as good of a player as JVR is now (in that a 50 point two-way winger is as good as a defensively irresponsible 60 point winger).

Next year, a 29 year old JVR is clearly better than Kapanen, Johnsson, Leivo, or other prospects will be. The Leafs will be taking a hit if they let him walk. But in 4-6 seasons, a 32-34 year old JVR could easily be worse. If he wants a 7 year deal, even worse.

I've mostly been on the "Leafs should re-sign JVR" train, as I'm convinced that the cap space can be found to give him a contract. But I think the best argument against the Leafs signing him is not that the cap space isn't there, but simply that he won't be worth the contract. Unfortunately, this argument also works against JVR signing on most other teams, unless they have a closing cup window.

That being said, if JVR is willing to sign for something below market rate, like 5.5x5, the Leafs should take that and run. He would be only slightly overpaid in the final year or two, and majorly underpaid at the beginning.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Toronto hopes to emulate the likes of Tampa Bay who is able to draft and sign cheap young players and have them become vital members of the team. They all need opportunity and they have succeeded at lower levels and are definitely passing the eye test so far.

Also, just because they let JVR and Bozak go doesn't mean they won't be in on the likes of Tavares/Thornton/Kovalchuk/Stastny/Nash etc on contracts that make more sense for the Leafs going forward.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Babcock stepping in and forcing management to sign JvR to contract that he would not accept nor would the PA allow, is, well.....not gonna say it. Sad to say but Peace may never come to LeaFland
I mean he's not gonna out and out demand it but I reckon he'll try and heavily persuade Dubas to do it, if he wants Leo back.

CujosMask

Nov 24, 2017
You aren’t considering where their first round pick ends up. If it’s Dahlin then it’s a no brainier the team won’t be as bad. You add Dahlin feeding JVR and his linemates Detroit is right back on track. They have a good top 6 even with Tatar gone.

You can't be serious on that. I would absolutely love to see JVR land in Detroit except for the fact that JVR would be wasted there. They'll still be awful.

You're also clearly ignorant to the Leafs current roster/cap situation, and on JVR as a player, take a lap on this one.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i dunno the new owner wants a GM for 400k, don't see him paying up for a 30+ goal scorer
The guys a billionaire who may be trying to change what the role of the gm is for us, which is most likely horrifying.

Saying he won’t pay for players is comical however. He’s said multiple times he’ll pay whatever it takes to make the team better. I’m not saying JVR would do that, or that we’ll get him....but your cheap shot (for whatever sad little reason you took it) is off the mark.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Bozak and JvR get 8 minutes a night+PP, recieve a massive amount of offensive zone starts and are hapless when it comes to defense, so much so that you won't see them on the ice when the teams protecting a lead. Once Kapanen started freaking coaches out because their own 4th lines couldn't handl him, they even put their 4th lines against Bozak and JvR because they needed their 3rd lines to reign in Kapanen. Those two are only 2nd liners on bad teams with no offence to speak of. They are right where they are supposed to be on the leafs which have more than enough offense but struggle defensively (guess what two forwards on the team struggle the most?). You give the leafs best prospects the kind of coddling Bozak and JvR get, they are going to do just as well, and also show the slightest interest in defense (both Kapanen and Johnsson are penalty killers as well as being good on the power play). Toronto's going to be a better team next year without our offense-only hangers on from the painfully bad Burke era.

Reactions: CujosMask

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The guys a billionaire who may be trying to change what the role of the gm is for us, which is most likely horrifying.

Saying he won’t pay for players is comical however. He’s said multiple times he’ll pay whatever it takes to make the team better. I’m not saying JVR would do that, or that we’ll get him....but your cheap shot (for whatever sad little reason you took it) is off the mark.

cheap shot:rolleyes: read the papers sonny, he wants to pay an NHL GM 400k to manage the hockey club ...average salary of an NHL GM is a little north of 1.5m, 400k is an insult

Billionaire schmillionaire, like all of corporate america the guys who get their hands dirty in the trenches get paid the least, it's what keeps those billionaires in champagne caviar and yachts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad