Speculation: Where does JVR end up next season?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
JVR isn't this type of player. 5vs5 he isn't involved in the play until he's at the side of the net for a tap in/tip. I don't think it matters who his center is, he'll get his 30 goals the way he has always done it. Within 5 feet of the net.

I actually think he would be a waste on the wing with a player like McDavid. JVR wouldn't be able to keep up with him, plus he's terrible in the corners so no good for puck retrieval.
You want players involved you sign Komarov. You want players with a unique skill set of scoring goals. Then JVR is your man. Listen, Leafs invested 6.25 x 3 years for a 38 year old Marleau. I am sure JVR will be worth his price considering his age and production in comparison to Marleau.

Reactions: ITM

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
JVR isn't this type of player. 5vs5 he isn't involved in the play until he's at the side of the net for a tap in/tip. I don't think it matters who his center is, he'll get his 30 goals the way he has always done it. Within 5 feet of the net.

I actually think he would be a waste on the wing with a player like McDavid. JVR wouldn't be able to keep up with him, plus he's terrible in the corners so no good for puck retrieval.

Agreed, playmakers are relatively irrelevant for him. He'd really only benefit from having high volume shooters on his line. Dallas and Colorado would be good fits if they want spread out their offence by letting Benn/Landeskog run their own lines.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
You want players involved you sign Komarov. You want players with a unique skill set of scoring goals. Then JVR is your man. Listen, Leafs invested 6.25 x 3 years for a 38 year old Marleau. I am sure JVR will be worth his price considering his age and production in comparison to Marleau.

Even though I'm on board as seeing the practical side of moving JVR (i.e. if possible in a sign and trade deal), the point is well made.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
JVR would be a perfect fit in New Jersey. He's like a better Patrick Maroon, and he's been so good for us.

We do a good job getting the puck to the front of the net, but sometimes I think we really need a big bodied forward who can get the puck out of net front scrambles and bang home chances in tight.

Maroon does that, and I know JVR makes his living around the paint too.

JVR won't win many pucks clean, or win many battles, he's not a beast on the cycle at all. But he's an elite finisher up close, incredible hands. His game doesn't rely on a playmaker, he can score as long as pucks are put to the net. Almost all his goals are deflections or tight-rope stick handling in a closet.

That said, he has some deficiencies to his game. He's not slow, but he's not fast anymore. His skating has declined noticeably.

He's pretty poor defensively covering the points or playing in the neutral zone.

His effort can be lackadaisical at times.....your pretty much signing 1, very strong dimension if you go after JVR, which isn't bad or anything, just depends on team needs/fit. Put him on any line on this league that can cover his warts and let him do his thing....he easily provides, 1st line production. Will probably make a team's PP better by a fair amount as well.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I could see the Leafs making room for JVR at 5.5 for 6 or 7, or letting him walk. NJ would be a nice spot for him. Colorado and Dallas might work too. He has value, but is still not the complete two-way player the Leafs want most.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I could see the Leafs making room for JVR at 5.5 for 6 or 7, or letting him walk. NJ would be a nice spot for him. Colorado and Dallas might work too. He has value, but is still not the complete two-way player the Leafs want most.

Well, what about Matthews and Nylander?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

I'm not arguing about JVR being a bad player. Like I said, he'll score his 30 goals for at least the next few years. I just wouldn't be signing him with the expectation that he'll score 40 - 50 goals with a center like McDavid. I think the beauty of signing him is you can hide him on your 3rd line, give him top PP minutes, and he'll still pot 30.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Nothing. Pending UFAs don't do sign and trades. These guys are not going to limit their potential suitors to help the organization.

TDL he was worth a late first and an ok prospect.

That was the asking price on a Patches as well. I know Ducks were in on Patches, but Murray didn’t want to deal the first. If GM of Toronto Wanted first for JVR who is UFA I can understand why no suitors came to the table. Patches has term JVR doesn’t. So I really doubt the price was a first Toronto fans. Especially when Patches was available as well. Both solid LWs and can produce the same numbers give or take a few goals.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
If he doesn't resign with Toronto, I think he heads for the States after all he's American east coast or possibly Anaheim on the west coast.

Yah I can see Red Wings in on JVR if Zetty retires you have a gaping hole on That line. With Zetty off the books JVR is a slam dunk for Detroit. I just hope Anaheim gets to talk to JVR first.

Last edited:

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
JVR won't win many pucks clean, or win many battles, he's not a beast on the cycle at all. But he's an elite finisher up close, incredible hands. His game doesn't rely on a playmaker, he can score as long as pucks are put to the net. Almost all his goals are deflections or tight-rope stick handling in a closet.

That said, he has some deficiencies to his game. He's not slow, but he's not fast anymore. His skating has declined noticeably.

He's pretty poor defensively covering the points or playing in the neutral zone.

His effort can be lackadaisical at times.....your pretty much signing 1, very strong dimension if you go after JVR, which isn't bad or anything, just depends on team needs/fit. Put him on any line on this league that can cover his warts and let him do his thing....he easily provides, 1st line production. Will probably make a team's PP better by a fair amount as well.

This just about sums up the best analysis of JVR. Great post.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Man, I'd love to see JVR as a Red Wing.

Starting to think JVR is best fit in Detroit. They are gonna lose Zetty either this year or next and need someone to replace his production. After this deadline, I don’t know who could step in immediately and make a impact after Tatar being traded. They are on rebuild at the moment. But they have to keep the team competitive. JVR to Detroit makes too much sense. No assets wasted just a good hockey signing.

Feb 24, 2017
Starting to think JVR is best fit in Detroit. They are gonna lose Zetty either this year or next and need someone to replace his production. After this deadline, I don’t know who could step in immediately and make a impact after Tatar being traded. They are on rebuild at the moment. But they have to keep the team competitive. JVR to Detroit makes too much sense. No assets wasted just a good hockey signing.
Maybe it doesn’t make sense for James. Waste his talents on a team headed nowhere for comparable money to what he can get somewhere he can compete.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Maybe it doesn’t make sense for James. Waste his talents on a team headed nowhere for comparable money to what he can get somewhere he can compete.

Detroit has two first round picks. And one may bring Dahlin into the organization who is a sure fire superstar. If JVR was smart he would talk to Detroit on what the game plan is. Imo this is a quick rebuild because Detroit drafts so well.

Feb 24, 2017
Detroit has two first round picks. And one may bring Dahlin into the organization who is a sure fire superstar. If JVR was smart he would talk to Detroit on what the game plan is. Imo this is a quick rebuild because Detroit drafts so well.
I think there are better options.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Plus Detroit hasn't proven they pony up the money on July 1st. I don't see him going to Detroit unless they are the top bidder, which I don't expect. I think he goes to Jersey.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
They won't be breaking the bank to acquire one, they've drafted heavy in this area since Hextall took over. It'll be stop-gap Elliot or someone of that ilk until Hart is ready. What they need is to be patient.

I don't get this. The Flyers are a playoff quality team and they are the kind of team that will greatly benefit from the playoffs right now. Giroux and Voracek are still excellent but aren't getting younger. They've still got good years left and it would be a shame to piss some of those years away waiting on one kid to develop. Then you've got some outstanding youth in Ghost, Provorov, Patrick, Konecny, etc, who need to get playoff experience, the more the better. Carter Hart could be the next Brodeur, but he could also be three+ years away from being an NHL goalie, much less an elite one. Vasilevskiy took 6 years! There is so much time between now and then, that the Flyers shouldn't waste perfectly good years sitting on their hands. Goalies are cheap, they may not need to pick up an elite one, but playing shitty stopgaps like Elliot or Mason is just spinning the wheels. Just pay a couple decent draft picks and get a guy who can stop pucks for the next 3-4 years. You'll be happy you did.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Funny thread how everyone dumps on JVR as a Leaf but all these crazy offers coming out for him now as a UFA.

The rumor was he would take a "hometown discount" of 6x6 to stay with the Leafs so I assume any other team would be offering up 7x7 as a starter

We had JVR bundled with a 2nd or some other insignificant assets for a good, top 4 defender in many of those Leaf trade proposals, so wouldn't put much stock in that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad