Speculation: Where does JVR end up next season?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Where does he sign for next season and for how much in term and money?

After years of being thrown into nearly every trade proposal by my fellow Leaf fans (including a few times by myself) it seems very likely that JVR will be a UFA on July 1st.

He is far from a perfect player and his 200ft game will always leave you wanting more but he is very good at scoring goals. Especially in close to the net and on the powerplay.
I find it hard to figure out what his value will be this summer. He is flawed but is one of the best net front presences in the league.

So who needs a player like this and what do people think his contract will look like?
And will it be one of the few UFA contracts that work out of one of the many that the team comes to regret very quickly. Tho he is a fast skater his game doesn’t really rely on speed to be effective as age starts to slow him down.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Anaheim we need an upgrade on LW extremely bad. Pay 6x5.5 and upsell em on the weather. Get it done Murray.

Where does he sign for next season and for how much in term and money?

After years of being thrown into nearly every trade proposal by my fellow Leaf fans (including a few times by myself) it seems very likely that JVR will be a UFA on July 1st.

He is far from a perfect player and his 200ft game will always leave you wanting more but he is very good at scoring goals. Especially in close to the net and on the powerplay.
I find it hard to figure out what his value will be this summer. He is flawed but is one of the best net front presences in the league.

So who needs a player like this and what do people think his contract will look like?
And will it be one of the few UFA contracts that work out of one of the many that the team comes to regret very quickly. Tho he is a fast skater his game doesn’t really rely on speed to be effective as age starts to slow him down.

Anaheim by far needs JVR. Ritchie is underwhelming, and Chimera well it’s Chimera the left wing position needs to be focused on this offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dmang714

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I highly doubt JVR leaves though. Leafs need JVR and his scoring ability. Outside of cap reasons he should resign in the off season. Guy has been clutch for Toronto regardless of what fans opinions are on em.

You don’t let a 31 goal scorer walk away like that. I think toronto resigns em

Highly doubt he settles for 5.5 on the open market. He is looking at 6 million as a easy starting point.

Well we’ll see how it works out. Ritchie and Chimera aren’t cutting it on third and fourth lines. I would move Cogliano to third line and have JVR control the second line with Kessler. But like I said on a previous post I don’t think jVR is leaving toronto

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I think he is leaving Toronto.
It’s just too hard to find the cap space for him.

The big 3 kids need contracts this summer and there is only so much money to go around. And after that the biggest need is to improve the defence.
Toronto could have a very bright future with all the youth we have and signing a non core player to big money and term could hurt them going forward.

The one thing I really don’t want to see them do is give Nylander or Marner bridge deals to save money for someone like JVR. Giving them max term deals now might sting a bit at first but bridging them will cost much more later.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
$5.5 * 8 years to stay in Toronto.

Babcock uses him perfectly, he loves Toronto, and playing 14 minutes a night will probably do wonders for his career longevity.

The only way he doesn't return to Toronto is if they don't want him.

I think he is leaving Toronto.
It’s just too hard to find the cap space for him.

The big 3 kids need contracts this summer and there is only so much money to go around. And after that the biggest need is to improve the defence.
Toronto could have a very bright future with all the youth we have and signing a non core player to big money and term could hurt them going forward.

The one thing I really don’t want to see them do is give Nylander or Marner bridge deals to save money for someone like JVR. Giving them max term deals now might sting a bit at first but bridging them will cost much more later.

They've got space for one of JVR or Gardiner. My bet is that they trade Gardiner or let him walk and keep JVR.

Reactions: Marner

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
He goes where he gets the best offer and I don't think Toronto will be able to match because of the massive payments they will have to start paying to their own young studs...I would also assume he heads back to America somewhere....

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
It does seem like there will be a lot of interest and with the cap going up he could be looking at a decent pay day.

It will be interesting to see how that works out for the team signing him. He should be able to score quite a bit for his new team but he is terrible defensively. And tho I don’t think losing some speed will hurt his game injuries could pile up always being around the net. It’s a hard place to play as much as he does.

They've got space for one of JVR or Gardiner. My bet is that they trade Gardiner or let him walk and keep JVR.
I don’t think trading our second best defenceman to re-sign one of our worst defensive forwards would help our defensive problems going forward.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

You don’t let a 31+ goal scorer go away for 6 fricken million. Lets be honest here, JVR has been good his entire career in Toronto. Management will make room for resigning no issues there. After Vatanen leaving I wouldn’t mind trading for Gardiner to Anaheim depending on the cost if they need to dump salary somewhere.

Anaheim needs defense Beauch, Bieksa aren’t cutting it.

Anaheim’s LW aren’t cutting it Ritchie, Chimera.

Whatever Toronto decides on JVR and Gardiner. Let Murray know in the off season please. Gardiner under contract for 4 mill isn’t bad contract expires 2018-19. We desperately need to fix LW and Defense.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t think trading our second best defenceman to re-sign one of our worst defensive forwards would help our defensive problems going forward.

I just think it's much safer to expect Dermott to replace Gardiner's production instead of expecting Johnsson/Leivo/Grundstrom to replace JVR's 25-30 goals a season while playing 14 minutes a night.

I do think you're undervaluing JVR a lot. He is lynchpin for the 1st PP unit and why they are so dominant. He's flawed, but so is Gardiner.

Reactions: Cotton

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I just think it's much safer to expect Dermott to replace Gardiner's production instead of expecting Johnsson/Leivo/Grundstrom to replace JVR's 25-30 goals a season while playing 14 minutes a night.

I do think you're undervaluing JVR a lot. He is lynchpin for the 1st PP unit and why they are so dominant. He's flawed, but so is Gardiner.

That’s my point on your last statement. JVR is 28 still plenty of time left in those hockey skates of his. 6x6 for a 30+ goal scorer is a no brainier you get basically the rest of his career and it’s on a upcline if you see his full career stats. Like numerous fans of other clubs have said. We’ll gladly sign em if toronto cant make the money work.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

I understand that JVR is valuable. There is no one player in our system that will replace his offence. It will have to come from improvements from multiple players. But scoring goals isn’t the Leafs problem. There biggest need is to improve the overall team defensive play.
JVR isn’t trusted defensively by the coaching staff he is 10th in even ice time amongst our forwards.

Giving big money and term to a guy that is 10th in even strength ice time is a poor allocation of your limited cap space.

Reactions: bukwas

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
No doubt he leaves the Leafs. Leafs have winger replacement (yeah no as good as JVR) but Leafs will be spending their money either on a centre or dman. And other teams will offer JVR more.
He's a Jersey boy and Devils might have room for him. My thought is he becomes a Ranger, his boyhood team. Rangers need goal scoring and without Nash/Miller there is a spot for JVR at with the Rangers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->