Speculation: Where does JVR end up next season?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I am guessing UFA will accept a sign and trade(or trade and sign) if it means an 8th year on their contract.

My guess is a late 2nd/early 3rd would be the going price if you were 100% assured he would sign and that 8th year is the thing you need to lower the caphit. I guess the real question with JVR is it worth giving him a 8 year deal

You have to convince him that you want him around long term. Oshie signed with the Caps on the day of the draft I believe. That would probably be too late for this scenario but the Leafs should do the same thing. Then turn around and flip him at the draft.

Lou would get lambasted for sure but if he hands the reign over to Dubas this summer anyways, then why not?

I get that this is fantasy land and that's fine. Regardless, I don't see JVR or a team limiting their options for one another. If JVR signs I'm sure he will want some type of a NTC, if he doesn't sign in sure a team won't want to give up an asset to pay him 8 years whatever the cap hit.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
lol stupid on so many counts, you assume the Leafs would intentionally screw over a player of his stature by tricking him to sign a 'team friendly' deal then flipping him before the NTC/NMC kicks in and also assume JVR is stupid enough to fall for it.

IF this is about him getting 8 years vs 7 years there's no reason for him to be giving any team a 'team friendly' deal.

The Leafs are dumb, the guy wants to be part of what are potentially glory years for the Leafs, he seems willing to give the Leafs a hometown discount so the Leafs should just sign him unless he's asking for crazy money which I'm sure he isn't.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
First I don’t think JVR is getting an 8 year deal but let’s say the team wants to get his AAV down. Well it’s likely not gonna be much maybe a 3rd or forth as some have stated.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He is going to Detroit

Lock

I can see him being a Leaf killer

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I’d like to see him back with Toronto. He’s been a great player with them and it would suck to see him leave now that they are winning after so many years of losing. But it’s a business and players want to get paid. If he came back on a relatively cheaper contract to stay on a winning team I’d be ok with that. I don’t think his agent or the NHLPA would want that though. But with the young kids needing to be paid and making sure you have cap flexibility it might not be the smartest decision for Toronto.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
lol stupid on so many counts, you assume the Leafs would intentionally screw over a player of his stature by tricking him to sign a 'team friendly' deal then flipping him before the NTC/NMC kicks in and also assume JVR is stupid enough to fall for it.

IF this is about him getting 8 years vs 7 years there's no reason for him to be giving any team a 'team friendly' deal.

The Leafs are dumb, the guy wants to be part of what are potentially glory years for the Leafs, he seems willing to give the Leafs a hometown discount so the Leafs should just sign him unless he's asking for crazy money which I'm sure he isn't.

Didnt read OP closely enough.. assumed it was for rights before he became a UFA

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
If he’s cool with 6M, I see him signing long term with the Leafs.

They have a lot of cap coming off the books, and a lot of prospects that can fill the holes that develop in the coming seasons.

The cap would get tight 2 years in(Marleau’s last season, first season of Marner + Matthews’s new contracts), but then alleviates after that.

The way Marleau’s contract is structured, I have a feeling the team has something up their sleeves on that front.

He is going to Detroit

Lock

I can see him being a Leaf killer
High value guys bordering on 30 don’t sign with teams just starting their rebuild.

And teams starting their rebuild shouldn’t be signing guys like JVR.

You don’t let a 31+ goal scorer go away for 6 fricken million. Lets be honest here, JVR has been good his entire career in Toronto. Management will make room for resigning no issues there. After Vatanen leaving I wouldn’t mind trading for Gardiner to Anaheim depending on the cost if they need to dump salary somewhere.

Anaheim needs defense Beauch, Bieksa aren’t cutting it.

Anaheim’s LW aren’t cutting it Ritchie, Chimera.

Whatever Toronto decides on JVR and Gardiner. Let Murray know in the off season please. Gardiner under contract for 4 mill isn’t bad contract expires 2018-19. We desperately need to fix LW and Defense.
I think Gardiner will walk next season. No point getting rid of him yet, and Liljergen is developing nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 405Exit

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
High value guys bordering on 30 don’t sign with teams just starting their rebuild.

And teams starting their rebuild shouldn’t be signing guys like JVR.
Detroit can sell easy - plus all about money and they will pay

Great hockey city some real good young forwards

Legit top 6

I like this landing spot

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
$5.5 * 8 years to stay in Toronto.

Babcock uses him perfectly, he loves Toronto, and playing 14 minutes a night will probably do wonders for his career longevity.

The only way he doesn't return to Toronto is if they don't want him.
Let us know when you wake up...

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I think someone is going to pay him north of $7. Maybe Vancouver or NJ. IMO he's worth a max of $6.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Sabres have no LWs, a dumb owner and a media that constantly stacks them against. Enough cap too. I expect $7 M x six or seven. Buffalo should be rebuilding.

MacH86

Nov 7, 2016
Trade Martin ($2.5m AAV) + Sweetener to take on his contract than use the new cap space to sign JVR 5m x 7. Test his loyalty to Toronto and sell the future.

It is hard to justify more than that for JVR as Kadri makes only 4.5m until 2020-2021 for similar point production and at a much more pivotal position.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
No UFA is going to give up control of where he's going by doing a sign and trade. It hasn't happened and it won't happen.

Leafs might get a 4th-5th round pick for the negotiating rights if they don't re-sign him.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hes been good with leafs but no way ues staying. First it depends if we can land tavares but either way were signing kids first. If spme of you think hes getting 6.5 or even 7....if thats trully the vase and u expect him to sign with leafs what the heck do you think marner and nylander will ask for then if they see jvr at even 6.
Right now 2 kids prob getting around 6 and jvr signing for these values would kill that.

Everyone talks about our cap with kids signing, its not as hard as most think but jvr is a gonner even though we could sign him.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Nothing. Pending UFAs don't do sign and trades. These guys are not going to limit their potential suitors to help the organization.

TDL he was worth a late first and an ok prospect.

Bishop fetched a 4th rounder last year. The value of a player is next to nothing in these kinda trades but they are still possible to happen. Really it just depends on the Leafs deciding they won't re-sign JVR and a trade partner who really, really wants JVR and you could see the Leafs getting a 4th rounder or something for his rights.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
  • My guess is he signs with the flames
If he doesn't resign with Toronto, I think he heads for the States after all he's American east coast or possibly Anaheim on the west coast.

What would tavares be worth in a similar situation? Get that 8 yr deal?
Definitely late 1st

Don't see Jame Van Riensdyk agreeing to a sign and trade, He'll have tons of suitors without limiting himself plus helping out Toronto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mork

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The problem is Matthews and Nylander are coming off of their entry-level contracts. To pay for both or even one of them, cap space is needed.
Still think that both Marner and Nylander get at least $6.5 million per and Matthews will get between $11-$12 million per. Can't see Lamoriello giving JVR 6 x 6 unless he uses either Marner or Nylander as a trade chip for a top 4 LHD/RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad