Speculation: Where does JVR end up next season?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think people are gonna be surprised with the massive overpayments this offseason. $5M - $7M cap hike, shallow UFA pool, and a big time scoring boost. Guys are gonna cash in.

Reactions: Devonator

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I think people are gonna be surprised with the massive overpayments this offseason. $5M - $7M cap hike, shallow UFA pool, and a big time scoring boost. Guys are gonna cash in.

People are signing insane contracts these days 6x6 for JVR is a steal. This off season 6x6 will look like play money on a Vegas poker table.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
People are signing insane contracts these days 6x6 for JVR is a steal. This off season 6x6 will look like play money on a Vegas poker table.

That's what I'm saying though, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go for more.

At this point I'd be ecstatic if DET could lock up Larkin for 6-8 years at $6.5M.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
That's what I'm saying though, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go for more.

At this point I'd be ecstatic if DET could lock up Larkin for 6-8 years at $6.5M.

Everyone’s gonna be after JVR this off season. Detroit can use em most definitely if Zetty retires. New Jersey needs em, Anaheim, numerous other teams. Just hope Bob Murray jumps on JVR if it’s 6x6. We’ll be in cup conversations with him in the lineup.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
It’s not that anyone is saying he isn’t worth that.
But there is only so much cap to go around. Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all need new deals this summer. Getting the 3 of them signed is going to cost us somewhere around 25m a season.
After that we would still need a new 3rd line center and to find a way to improve the defence.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think he's going to be too expensive for my Oilers... but if he could fit under Edmonton's cap... hoo hoo hoo!

Having JVR, Hopkins and Lucic on the LW sounds pretty good!

Reactions: 405Exit

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
It’s not that anyone is saying he isn’t worth that.
But there is only so much cap to go around. Matthews, Marner, and Nylander all need new deals this summer. Getting the 3 of them signed is going to cost us somewhere around 25m a season.
After that we would still need a new 3rd line center and to find a way to improve the defence.

I’ve seen your prospect pool, and have read numerous Leaf fans on saying Gardiner can be replaced on production. You can save 4 mill and resign JVR. You know Gardiner will fetch a easy first + good prospect. Or give you a A+ prospect on defense. Do you really have no faith that management will make the money work? Toronto is one of the richest franchises in the NHL they’ll figure it out.

But I do agree with you, and its up for debate either Gardiner goes or you let JVR walk. Seasons ago, we should have just given you Vatanen for JVR with picks and salary retention or whatever to make it even. Sami Vatanen is doing amazing in New Jersey. Woulda coulda shoulda I guess.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Everyone’s gonna be after JVR this off season. Detroit can use em most definitely if Zetty retires. New Jersey needs em, Anaheim, numerous other teams. Just hope Bob Murray jumps on JVR if it’s 6x6. We’ll be in cup conversations with him in the lineup.

Zetterberg will probably play out next season and then develop an allergy to his gear, if you're catching my drift...

Either way, I hope somebody hides the phones from Ken Holland on July 1st.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I’ve seen your prospect pool, and have read numerous Leaf fans on saying Gardiner can be replaced on production. You can save 4 mill and resign JVR. You know Gardiner will fetch a easy first + good prospect. Or give you a A+ prospect on defense. Do you really have no faith that management will make the money work? Toronto is one of the richest franchises in the NHL they’ll figure it out.

But I do agree with you, and its up for debate either Gardiner goes or you let JVR walk. Seasons ago, we should have just given you Vatanen for JVR with picks and salary retention or whatever to make it even. Sami Vatanen is doing amazing in New Jersey. Woulda coulda shoulda I guess.
JVR is 10th amongst forwards in even strength ice time.
Gardiner is first amongst defencemen in the same stat.

It seems the coaching staff has decided which player they see as more important to the team.

I don’t want it to sound like I don’t like JVR. I do he has been a big part of our success this year but hard choices have to be made. There just isn’t enough cap to sign the 3 kids, a new 3rd line center and improve the D.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
JVR would be a perfect fit in New Jersey. He's like a better Patrick Maroon, and he's been so good for us.

We do a good job getting the puck to the front of the net, but sometimes I think we really need a big bodied forward who can get the puck out of net front scrambles and bang home chances in tight.

Maroon does that, and I know JVR makes his living around the paint too.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
JVR is 10th amongst forwards in even strength ice time.
Gardiner is first amongst defencemen in the same stat.

It seems the coaching staff has decided which player they see as more important to the team.

I don’t want it to sound like I don’t like JVR. I do he has been a big part of our success this year but hard choices have to be made. There just isn’t enough cap to sign the 3 kids, a new 3rd line center and improve the D.

Well there you have it HF boards this leafs fan says JVR is completely available on open market. Ducks start the bidding war at 6x6

2017-2018 31 goals total of 47 points this season. Left Wing btw in which LW production was a down year, league wide regarding the position which greatly increases value on open market.

Last edited:

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I have a feeling it’s not in a TML uniform. Somebody will overpay and be disappointed. He has great mits, is a big body but he just has no motor, doesn’t hit or backcheck.

Personally if we can get JT I would much rather follow the Pens model and spend the coin on two really great Centres and surround them with up and coming players. Plus we have two exceptional wingers in Marner and Nylander who are more deserving IMO.

In my plan it likely would mean that Gardiner would have to go as well.

If I am Lou I go hard after both JT and Carlson and if neither pans out or only one you go for plan B which likely means going for cheaper more risky signing (Kane), etc. Or you try to work a trade with a team like the Jets (Trouba if he doesn’t want to sign or Myers).

Last edited:

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
I think the Ducks are going to get Pacioretty at the Draft so the LW won’t be an issue.

Wouldn’t mind Patches on the ducks. I just think MTL is asking for to much. We were rumored to be interested at the deadline, but a first was involved. Our GM never trades firsts. Using no assets and only spending cash I would take JVR over Patches any day of the week.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Funny thread how everyone dumps on JVR as a Leaf but all these crazy offers coming out for him now as a UFA.

The rumor was he would take a "hometown discount" of 6x6 to stay with the Leafs so I assume any other team would be offering up 7x7 as a starter

Reactions: Yamazaki

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I don’t see JVR leaving TO.
He stuck out all those bad years only to leave when it’s turning around and the Leafs are contenders?
No chance.
I think he re-ups in Leaftown

Reactions: shortfuze

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Funny thread how everyone dumps on JVR as a Leaf but all these crazy offers coming out for him now as a UFA.

The rumor was he would take a "hometown discount" of 6x6 to stay with the Leafs so I assume any other team would be offering up 7x7 as a starter

Long time lurker and finally made an account. What’s funny is TO fans made JVR available in almost every thread regarding Toronto proposals. Now that’s he’s posted 31 goals and may push 40 by seasons end it’s change of heart? Does JVR actually hold value now from a leafs perspective?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Long time lurker and finally made an account. What’s funny is TO fans made JVR available in almost every thread regarding Toronto proposals. Now that’s he’s posted 31 goals and may push 40 by seasons end it’s change of heart? Does JVR actually hold value now from a leafs perspective?

JVR is still the same 30 goal, 60 point guy he has been for his entire stay with us.

The only reason he was included in so many trades is that he was viewed as the most valuable expendable piece on the roster given our depth on the wings (we have Kapanen on the 4th line and Leivo in the pressbox)

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Has averaged almost 27G per 82 games for his career so far so what kind of return would he bring in if the Leafs signed him to an 8 year extension at a team friendly rate (5-6.5 per) with a full NT/NMC that kicks in July 1st (to keep the price as low as possible).

The plan would be to then move him at the draft or just before July 1st (ala Carter/Richards) and that new clause kicks in. He currently submits a 10 team no trade list.

Reason for moving him: Leafs can replace him by committee. Johnsson, Leivo, Kapanen combined will produce just as much 5 on 5 as the trio of JvR, Komarov, Martin do. The Powerplay would need some work but the Matthews unit could take over more minutes.

The also restock the farm with a guy they would have let go to UFA and save the money to sign/trade for a center to replace Bozak.

So again, what is he worth in this scenario to a team that has trouble scoring? Teams like Carolina,Columbus,Edmonton,Anaheim etc...

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Nothing. Pending UFAs don't do sign and trades. These guys are not going to limit their potential suitors to help the organization.

TDL he was worth a late first and an ok prospect.

I am guessing UFA will accept a sign and trade(or trade and sign) if it means an 8th year on their contract.

My guess is a late 2nd/early 3rd would be the going price if you were 100% assured he would sign and that 8th year is the thing you need to lower the caphit. I guess the real question with JVR is it worth giving him a 8 year deal

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Nothing. Pending UFAs don't do sign and trades. These guys are not going to limit their potential suitors to help the organization.

TDL he was worth a late first and an ok prospect.

You have to convince him that you want him around long term. Oshie signed with the Caps on the day of the draft I believe. That would probably be too late for this scenario but the Leafs should do the same thing. Then turn around and flip him at the draft.

Lou would get lambasted for sure but if he hands the reign over to Dubas this summer anyways, then why not?

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
In reality, if the Leafs don't decide to re-sign him, they could probably trade him for a 3rd or a 4th for early negotiating rights. This idea is just a fantasy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad